Need some data from someone with a working new style Phillips M$ remote
Hey All, I am trying to get Lirc to function with a new IR receiver that came with my Omaura HTPC case. I think I am unfortunately charting some uncharted waters here. The IR receiver so far:
1. Works perfectly normal on a Vista MCE installation. (some hope from that).
2. In Ubuntu, the device appears in the lsusb list. It has a slightly different Vendor and Product ID than what is in the most current version of the Lirc source for the new style Phillips Transceiver (product ID is off). I have updated the source and recompiled with still no luck.
3. After reviewing this site: http://parker1.co.uk/mythtv_ubuntu2.php It seems that my machine is not creating an input device file for this particular USB device.

What I need:
If someone with a working Phillips new style MS remote could post the output of the following commands it would be of great help.

cat /var/log/messages |grep input
cat /proc/bus/input/devices

Thanks so much!
Someone out there has to be running a new style MCE remote? Help a brother out? Please!!!
Nothing in the messages log or in the devices virtual device pertaining to the philips receiver. The only entry I found was in lsusb:

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0471:0815 Philips

I'm using the bog-standard /usr/share/lirc/remotes/mceusb/lircd.conf.mceusb that came with LIRC.
Thanks for the info, I am on holiday but will try again when I make it back to the house.
Okay, I got it working. I am posting this up with hopes that if someone else has this problem they will find it when they do a web search. So this is "How to get Lirc to function with the Omaura MCE Remote IR kit" Okay, this took me an hour or two to do and wasn't exactly simple but I followed all of the recommendations.

Step 1. Download and install latest 2.6.25 kernel version. I used this guide here and altered commands to suit the kernel version: http://www.howtoforge.com/kernel_compilation_ubuntu No kernel patches required. This kernel version is a requirement of the version of lirc I used. It may work on the standard 2.6.24 that ships with ubuntu, I will try that next.

Step 2. Download the latest Lirc software from lirc.org which is currently 0.8.3 and follow the instructions here on how to get it installed. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t...light=lirc *****Note before you go through the compile procedure we have to make a few changes. Make sure you have dialog installed so "sudo apt-get install dialog" Then, if you have followed the directions you will have a file @ /usr/src/lirc-0.8.3/drivers/lirc_mceusb2/lirc_mceusb2.c You will need to edit the file and add two lines. It should be fairly obvious where they need to go, you will find other similar entries about halfway down the file. Add the following two lines with your favorite editor.
/* Philips Infrared Transceiver - Omaura */
{ USB_DEVICE(VENDOR_PHILIPS, 0x060f) },

Looks strange but will make sense when you see it. In case anyone wants to know how I figured the information out do a "lsusb", it will become apparent.

3. You may now compile Lirc following the rest of the instructions listed in step 2. Somewhere towards the end it mentions installing lirc and lircx with apt-get. I don't know if that will screw anything up but it certainly wasn't required so I wouldn't recommend it.

4. Test by starting lircd and then irw, press a key on the remote and watch the output. You should be good.

I am going to send this to the lirc mailing list so that the source can be updated. Enjoy!!! If someone will let me post attachments, I will gladly post up my file.
THANKS!!!!

I had this issue, but I haven't really had time to try to get it fixed yet.

i'm sure you just saved me many hours and hours of trying to get it working.

(i'm building the new kernel now)
I am still playing with this, but I have found out about a real nice way to build and patch the kernel. Download kernelcheck from sourceforge, it's a python based gui tool that will automatically retrieve and build the kernel from the latest stable build available if you are using a debian based system. Also, I don't know what Motherboard you are using but there is some weird new goings on with 2.6.25 when you get to the kernel config portion of kernel check I had to enable ALSA and the Intel HD Audio modules to be built, otherwise no sound. From there the directions are pretty close, although I found that after building and installing lirc manually, I was able to do an "apt-get install lirc" which put all the config files where they need to be and still loads the proper kernel module. I am going to try and see if I can just load the kernel module I built in to the 2.6.24 kernel that ships by default and saves everyone a whole lot of grief.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Need some data from someone with a working new style Phillips M$ remote0