[WINDOWS] Dual Monitor support (Multiple Displays/Monitors)
Is there anyway for me to launch XBMC default on the 2nd monitor/display? It always starts up in my primary device never the secondary one.
Can anyone help ??

I have the exact same problem...

I have a 8800GT hooked up via DVI-D to a 19" 1440x900 monitor and the other DVI-D port @ HDMI to an 46" LCD Full-HD 1920x1080 tv.

I set the video do dualview Monitor as primary and the TV as secondary(1440x900/1920x1080 at the same time). Everything works perfectly, but the XBMC will only start in full screen at the primary device wich is the MONITOR. But i wan´t it to start on the SECOND monitor in full-screen (if i set the tv as primary it works, obviously, but i DON´T want that).

SO... How to start XBMC in the SECOND DEVICE in full-screen ? Is there any command line parameter ?

PLEASE HELP.

Thanks in advance.
I have a working, albeit temporary solution

Heres what I did

1. download a program called UltraMon

2. create a shortcut to xbmc

3. right click the shortcut and make sure that the command line is how you want it for example where it says target you may want Target like
C:\XBMC\XBMC.exe -p -fs

4. Ultramon adds a couple extra tabs for shortcut properties
The one I use is the tab called Ultramon Window choose your options like so

Now xbmc will open fullscreen on the other desktop

Note: With this method xbmc seems to take over the mouse and you cant use the 1st screen and have xbmc running at the same time ( if you want to multitask you may want to change your command line options to not run fullscreen ( get rid of the -fs)

also you must specify the resolution of your second screen, because it sizes the screen wrong otherwise thats why you see that i specified 1680 x 1050 on my computer(yours may be different)
I'm open for any source code lines which people may found about this topic.
I only found a possibility to start a new shell on the second monitor via ShellExecute but nothing about switching the running process to another monitor Huh
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
The best workaround I've been able to come up with is to just start XBMC in windowed mode but at the resolution of the 2nd or 3rd monitor I want it on. The problem is you can't quite drag the windows frame completely offscreen so you see a tiny border line at the very top of the monitor.

I still like that option better than running in fullscreen mode though because you can still control things on the other monitors while XBMC is running.
So, are there plans to allow the specification of the monitor for XBMC to be run on? Also, what about allowing the mouse to leave the XBMC screen? These are the only things that are currently frustrating me.
If we find a possibility to do so ofc. I know that sdl 1.3 will have support for multi monitor but dunno when it'll ready.
Can't tell about the mouse. It's handled by SDL and I dunno if it can be freed Rofl
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Question 
WiSo Wrote:I know that sdl 1.3 will have support for multi monitor but dunno when it'll ready.
I thought we used the latest SDL SVN which is the same as SDL 1.3 pre-alpha?
Not for win32. There it's still 1.2. Does Linux use a newer version?
WiSo Wrote:Not for win32. There it's still 1.2. Does Linux use a newer version?
I think so but I am not sure, you have to ask the Linux and Mac developers.
For reference Linux still uses 1.2 (1.2.12 on Ubuntu).
WiSo Wrote:If we find a possibility to do so ofc. I know that sdl 1.3 will have support for multi monitor but dunno when it'll ready.
Can't tell about the mouse. It's handled by SDL and I dunno if it can be freed Rofl

I have posted on SDLs mailing list about the mouse issue but got no valid reply's, the solution was supposed to be to call a function SDL_foo(MOUSE_GRAB_OFF) or something like that but I couldnt get it to work. Wich could have been a bug from SDL though.
If you have problems please read this before posting

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
ATM is possible to run XBMC on a secondary display by using 3rd party application named UltraMon.

I'm using it with Translator (IRSS) to start XBMC on my HDTV, by pressing the start button (green button) on my MCE Remote.

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
WiSo Wrote:I'm open for any source code lines which people may found about this topic.
I only found a possibility to start a new shell on the second monitor via ShellExecute but nothing about switching the running process to another monitor Huh

windows as an API called SetwindowsPos, where you can force the position of any window if you have its WindowHandle.

c#
Code:
Process p = new Process();
p.StartInfo.WindowStyle = ProcessWindowStyle.Minimized;
p.StartInfo.FileName = "C:\\Program Files\\XBMC\\XBMC.exe";
p.StartInfo.UseShellExecute = true;
p.StartInfo.Arguments = "-p -fs";
p.Start();
p.WaitForInputIdle();

Rectangle secondMonitor = Screen.AllScreens[1].WorkingArea;
WinApi.SetWindowPos(p.MainWindowHandle,IntPtr.Zero,secondMonitor.Left, secondMonitor.Top, secondMonitor.Width,secondMonitor.Height, 0);
Hey,

I've tried UltraMon at home, but I'm running two different resolutions, one is 1680x1050 on my monitor and on my TV it's 1920x1080. But I can't get XBMC to run 1920x1080 on my TV. Whatever I do it stays at 1680x1050 just like my monitor resolution, even though I've set 1920x1080 in the settings.

Anyone know what the problem can be? Those that have it working, did you have the same resolution on your monitor and TV?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] Dual Monitor support (Multiple Displays/Monitors)0