Zenega (Intel hardware)?
Hello all,

I have got a German T-Online Zenega by Bose.

It comes in 2 Versions. Above is the smaller unit that has no Digital Sat Card built in but comes with 128 MB Memory.

It has a HDD Connection on board but uses in it's original state a DOM (Disc On Memory)

The Bigger Version comes with 64MB and a Sat Board but there is only a "video/sound" connection between the Circuit Boards.

Both Units have scart/s-vhs out, 100Mbit Network, Optical/digital out 2x USB etc.

More details can be found here: http://wiki.zenega-user.de/index.php?title=Hauptseite

The Processor is a Intel Mobile Celeron with 733Mhz

An Intel 830m Graphics Card is on board

The "small" Version comes with a mini PCI Wireless Card

The Sound Card used is a AC97 Chipset

Would it be possible to install XBMC running with Linux on this Box ..?
Doesn't look like a good candidate to me.

The overall specs are no better than an xbox so the added overhead of linux would surely exhibit poorer performance. Not to mention the Intel 82830 graphics chip only supports OpenGL 1.1 when our minimum requirement is OpenGL 2.0 and I don't see any reference to pixel shaders in the Intel documentation.
Shame ;-) It comes with a remote too and some people run something called Zenslag but I also posted in the Zenega Forum ... If I find anything I keep you updated ;-)
althekiller Wrote:our minimum requirement is OpenGL 2.0
XBMC can run on as low as OpenGL 1.3 as long as the graphic hardware features GLSL support, ...however Intel 830m is not going to cut it, at least not with any of the existing XBMC skins (which are all fairly graphics intensive).

Intel Mobile Celeron with 733Mhz and 64MB is otherwise th same spec as the Xbox (with the exception of more modern and better graphics in the Xbox), but then again XBMC for Xbox does not have the overhead of a full Linux operating-system, (XBMC for Xbox is a native Xbox application and is thus much more effective with the limited resources of the Xbox).
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
s/requirement/recommendation

Try it on something <1.5. You'll cry.
Intel GMA950 (that comes in Mac Mini among others) is only OpenGL 1.4 + GLSL (ARB_vertex_buffer and EXT_shadow_funcs extensions and TexEnv shader caching), ...yes it is infamous for terrible OpenGL performance but it is still good enough to run XBMC in 1080p as long as you have a fast enough CPU.
http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/gma950/index.htm
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Just wanted to post an update.
As stated by the Intel page the 830M now features OpenGL 1.3 with a recent IEGD driver.

My experiments so far show up that the S100 seems to be nearly enough to run XBMC.
The biggest problem ist that XBMC caches the next MP3 during playback.

This cache is too much for the 128 megs of RAM.
When i add a swap file on USB it is working better.

I'm currently on creating a minized linux version to make it possible to run XBMC on the S100/Zenega.

Is it possible to leave some things out of XBMC during compiling to save memory?
At least everything related DVD drive handling would be nice.
Any news on this topic?
Sorry, not from my side.

XBMC still comes in one block, so i gave up to experimenting with it.

My programming skills are not enough to fix it by myself.

Sorry.
I just tried XBMC_Live-9.04.1 on the T-Online Vision S100 box, but it does not start up the graphical user interface. It seems to be unable to switch into graphics mode, only the command line is displayed.

Is there a way to enable the old Intel graphics chip and use a reduced theme?
I think you'Re out of luck here. The hardware specs of the s100 are really below low for any use with xbmc. You're better off trying something not as fancy but simple like mms. See mymediasystem.org.
Would it be worth my time trying the new openElec ?
@OpenElec: Sound interesting.
That's what I intended to do too:
Build a small distri that let's enough resources free on the S100 to let do those OpenGL things in software (1080p will still be impossible, but at least SD content and MP3 playing should work).

I have just put my S100 (and working one) back onto my desktop to test it out.

By the way:
I'm not a programmer, but is it perhaps possible to build a kind of stub driver for the intel chipset?
It should return just true on all OpenGL 2.0 blendings and such.
So we may have a worse look and feel, but the CPU should have less load then.
Hi everybody...

little update on this topic: I replaced the DOM on this box by a IDE-cable and connected an old 200G IDE HD. I used Debian "wheezy" and with some little linux tricks it is running!
So if you still have your boxes.... give it a try!

Gingupin

---------------------------------
Panta Rhei - everything is moving
Hallo Gingupin,
could you please give me a little bit more help about "...some little linux tricks..." (or even provide a copy of your system)?
Would be very thankfull!
You can contact me (in germam) via PM/eMail, if you like...
Thanks
tschennings

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Zenega (Intel hardware)?0