v18 Skin reset settings after disconnect / reload
Bug 
Hi everyone,

I experience an annoying problem : after being disconnected from a profile, rebooting or stopping / starting, settings from my skin are reset...

My setup :
- NUC x64 on LibreElec 9.0.2, with Kodi 18.2
- Skin Aeon MQ8 from Kodi repo
- Database located on a NAS
- 2 profiles, "Parents" and "Enfants", so at login screen, i have "Master User", "Parents", "Enfants".

Symptom :
After a fresh install, i made the basic settings under the default skin (Estuary). After that, i created the 2 profiles. Then again, basic settings under those two. Then i switch to Aeon MQ8.
I change settings (some display settings, some submenus settings), disconnect from 1st profile to the 2nd. Change settings (about the same than the 1st profile), then disconnect and login to the 1st profile. And then, skin is reset (display settings, submenus settings, everything).
I tried to leave the first profile after making my changes, same punishment.

I spent several days looking for information on the Internet, I read several topics. I saw that users had similar problems on OSMC in 2017. I read that there was a tips by changing skin (back to the skin by default) to force Kodi to save the settings before returning to the desired skin.

But I have the impression that it is the profile of the masteruser that reapplies each time. Is there a clean way to do ? Did I misconfigure my profiles at creation ?

I'm frustrated, it's been several days since I can not finalize the configuration of these 2 profiles and this is the last thing I have to do ...

Many thanks in advance for your answers.
I just read this page : https://kodi.wiki/view/Settings/Profiles

Quote: 
2 Known issues
Using the "Show login screen on startup" is causing issues in loosing some of the strings at the skin. As a workaround you could automatically reload the skin after the specific profile was selected by using an Autoexec.py with the "ReloadSkin()" in built python function. Place that autoexec.py file at the Userdata folder and at every profile folder underneath the userdata folder.
An example for Windows:
For the master profile: %APPDATA%\kodi\userdata\autoexec.py
and for the profile folders: %APPDATA%\kodi\userdata\profiles\<profile_name>\autoexec.py
An example for Linux based system (in this case Ubuntu):
For the master profile: ~/.kodi/userdata/autoexec.py
and for the profile folders: ~/.kodi/userdata/profiles/<profile_name>/autoexec.py
The contents of the file have to be:
import xbmc xbmc.executebuiltin('ReloadSkin()')
Depending on the hardware you are using that might get you an instant experience and you won't notice anything. On older and slower hardware it might take while until the skin is actively reloaded.

I'm afraid I do not understand well. Does it mean that the problem I'm talking about is identified, due to the profiles and that to solve it, you have to reload the skin from each profile directory ?

But in this case, how to make the settings.xml file not be overwritten every time? I need to store the file in a backup directory and load it every time via the autoexec.py ?
The settings should be saved each time you have logged out, but are not loaded on the next login. Therefor you need to reload the skin, which will also cause to reload the skin settings.

There's also a PR that will cover this issue: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/16420

That PR is meant for Kodi 19 currently. But I highly guess we will backport it after some testing. LibreELEC will also grab this then. But you have to be a bit patient.
Thanks for your response !

If the reload in the autoexec.py do the job, i'm happy ^^

Thanks for the team's efforts in Kodi Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Skin reset settings after disconnect / reload0