Best way to set-up two Mac-Mini with same content (videos and music)
All,

I am thinking to buy a second mac-mini for my second television in our bed room. The first mac-mini is connected as a media center to our television in the living room.

Before I do so, I am wondering what is the best way to do so. All content (videos, music) should be on the mac mini in the living room. Does it work to have the second mac mini have access to the same files and xbmc configurations as the first one. If yes, what is the best way.

I was thinking of three different ways and am wondering whether anyone has done that before or has a better idea:

(1) Install XBMC on second macmini and refer to video files on 1st computer via smb. Problem is that I would have two xbmc-installations and would need to scan library twice, etc. Rather painful and not ideal

(2) Install a software that I can "control" the 1st computer with the second one. Would only have xbmc installed once, but display the 1st computer on the 2nd one. Dont think that this would really work properly though.

(3) Do the same as in (1) and in addition have a batch that copies the configuration files from mac-mini-1 to mac-mini-2 everytime i start up xbmc. anyone any idea whether this would work and how to do it?

You can tell that I am not so satisfied with any of the three solutions and any help is highly appreciated. Many thanks!!!
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
[quote=steve1977]
(1) Install XBMC on second macmini and refer to video files on 1st computer via smb. Problem is that I would have two xbmc-installations and would need to scan library twice, etc. Rather painful and not ideal

(2) Install a software that I can "control" the 1st computer with the second one. Would only have xbmc installed once, but display the 1st computer on the 2nd one. Dont think that this would really work properly though.

(3) Do the same as in (1) and in addition have a batch that copies the configuration files from mac-mini-1 to mac-mini-2 everytime i start up xbmc. anyone any idea whether this would work and how to do it?
QUOTE]

It's a great topic and has been brought up a few times in the forum.
Some people copy their UserData folders every evening between XBMC boxes.
I tend to just have both units scan (because one is XBOX, one is LINUX and one is WINDOWS).
Fortunately #1/#3 is less painful for me now because of tools created by billyad2000 (XBMC DB & XBMC Media Companion) to have local nfo files - this way the majority of the scan(s) is local to the network rather than to the internet saving on bandwidth and time.

By #2 I think that you are talking about "Remote Desktop" which just will not work, you would be further ahead to run Audio/Video cables or look into multi-zone transmitting.

*Not to threadjack, but I'd like to hear about your success with mac-mini, so I might PM you if that is okay.
Share the userdata directory via a local filesystem mount on the second mac. Because XBMC will see it as part of the local filesystem it should work just fine.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:Share the userdata directory via a local filesystem mount on the second mac. Because XBMC will see it as part of the local filesystem it should work just fine.

that's actually a great idea - theoretically then you could put the userdata directory on a central server? I'll have to try that out
jmarshall Wrote:Share the userdata directory via a local filesystem mount on the second mac. Because XBMC will see it as part of the local filesystem it should work just fine.

That should indeed do the trick. Thanks!!! Will definitely give it a try.
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
also be sure to mount the media location to the same exact path on the second mac mini so that the references in the database are correct.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
mac already comes with screen sharing, although I think it would be a bit sluggish and you'd lose quite a bit when it comes to anything high quality.

I just tested it really quickly from my macbook to my mini over my wireless N...Wasn't pretty...stay away from option 2Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best way to set-up two Mac-Mini with same content (videos and music)0