XBMC won't start
Thumbs Up 
Thank-you for your help marlboroman1 I now have XBMC working on my Athlon XP box.
And it's great.

Once again Thanks Laugh
I believe Charly fix the issue with SSE2 I just sent you the installer I'm glad you got it working cheers mate.
Marlboroman1 - Thank You!
I can also confirm now that with the removal of the SSE2 dependencies I successfully start XBMC -

Platform tested:
VIA EPIA ITX MII 1200 motherboard
Visiontek X1300 PCI graphics card

LaughBig GrinNod
Hi,

I'm new in the forum, I create an account to see if someone can help me to make XBMC run on my Athlon XP with 256Mb RAM, SiS chipset and Windows XP SP3 based PC.

Problem:

- When I try to run XBMC the screen goes black, then the resolution is changed and windows is back on the screen and then appears the typical Windows error saying that the program must be closed.

Things that I did to try to solve this:

1- Update the graphic driver (Done)
2- Corroborate that DirectX 9 works fine with my setup. (Done, I ran into dxdiag and all test was ok)
3- Make the advancedsettings.xml configured to load the debug mode, but the XBMC.log file is never created; also the folder "Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\XBMC" doesn't exist, so I created and then put the xml there, and nothing happened, so I'm blind.
4- I installed an older version of XBMC (version #11) and the same problem

Can anyone help me to solve this?

Thank you so much,

Regards
(2013-04-15, 21:54)fbaffoni Wrote: Hi,

I'm new in the forum, I create an account to see if someone can help me to make XBMC run on my Athlon XP with 256Mb RAM, SiS chipset and Windows XP SP3 based PC.

Problem:

- When I try to run XBMC the screen goes black, then the resolution is changed and windows is back on the screen and then appears the typical Windows error saying that the program must be closed.

Things that I did to try to solve this:

1- Update the graphic driver (Done)
2- Corroborate that DirectX 9 works fine with my setup. (Done, I ran into dxdiag and all test was ok)
3- Make the advancedsettings.xml configured to load the debug mode, but the XBMC.log file is never created; also the folder "Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\XBMC" doesn't exist, so I created and then put the xml there, and nothing happened, so I'm blind.
4- I installed an older version of XBMC (version #11) and the same problem

Can anyone help me to solve this?

Thank you so much,

Regards

Any clue on this?
Most likely to old videocard.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2013-04-17, 22:01)Martijn Wrote: Most likely to old videocard.
I do not think so :-(

I think that it is not fair that new versions of XBMC will not work on older computers :-(

Some time ago I built myself own PC HTPC for XBMC 9.11. It took me a lot of time choosing the appropriate parts - graphics card with passive cooling, changing CPU fan for more in order to reduce the noise of so.

The last working version on this PC is Dharma. XBMC Eden and later do not work :-(. This is not fair! My PC is efficient for SD video. I do not want to watch HD content because no source. My config is:

ATX PSU: DELTA DPS for better work line 5V
CPU: AMD Althon XP 2400+ 2GHz (not support SSE2) + big fan for make quiet
GPU: ATI Radeon 9550 SE (DirectX 9.0c, OpenGL 2.1) with passive cooling for make quiet
RAM: 1GB DDR
HDD: 120GB
Audio: PCI M-Audio Audiophile 2496 + 2x YAMAHA HS80M

I have also other PC - laptop ThinkPad X61:

CPU: Core 2 Duo 2GHz (supported SSE 2)
GPU: Intel 965 GMA X3100 (DirectX 9.0c but only OpenGL 2.0)
RAM: 4GB

Graphic card in laptop is weaker than ATI 9550 but XBMC Frodo working good on laptop. This is probably problem new XBMC depend SS2 CPU support.

Please make possible install and working XBMC for old PC's

I'm not going to build new computer to XBMC

In addition, information on the website http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=supported_hardware#Windows is not real. Minimum WinXP SP3 - bla bla bla :-) :-) :-), XBMC Frodo 12.2 working very good on SP2 :-)

My both PC have hardware with DirectX 9.0c + OpenGL 2.0 support + SSE 1.0. In wiki do not write anything that you need SSE2 version - only SSE.
Life isn't fair. Deal with it Smile
You cannot demand anything from us. You are free to stay with an older version but you cannot ask us to keep supporting ancient hardware
Also XP has been dropped for gotham so time to upgrade.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
That ATI card is based on a GPU design released in 2002 so it's positively ancient in PC terms. Dharma was released in 2010 so if this was about the time you built your HTPC then you chose your graphics card poorly as it was already 8 year hardware at that time.

To keep very old hardware such as this working is too much of a support burden for a project like XBMC, it's also for this reason XP support will be dropped for Gotham.
OK, understand - world and technology is moving forward but many popular software and hardware is always backward compatible e.g.:
  • in Win8 possible run application designed e.g for Win95
  • CPU with support SSE2 support also old SSE1
  • to USB 3.0 port possible connect USB 2.0 and 1.1 devices
  • Microsoft Office have possible open and save documents from older versions Office
I think is XBMC is very popular and should be backward compatible :-)
Will MS Office 2013 run on Win XP? no it won't as it needs a minimum of Win 7 and that's produced by the biggest & richest software company on the planet with all their resources.

There is limit to what a open source project can do on donations, so resources the Team has in both time & money must be targeted where it is most productive, and that's moving the project forward. If you can't afford to move with the times then you'll still be able to continue to use Dharma, but you can't expect to continue to run the latest & greatest version without any investment.
OK, I have one question? Is the source code XBMC 11 Eden has been completely rewritten or to source code of XBMC 10 Dharma added just a simple lock to run program if the CPU does not support SSE2?

P.S. e.g. Office 2010 require Service Pack 3 to possible install on WinXP SP2 but this is simply marketing trick forced to migrating to a new OS :-). Office 2010 working very good on WinXP SP2 :-)
A side note whiich user "XBMC12" may appreciate:

CPU: AMD Althon XP 2400+ barton chip
GPU: ATI Radeon 3650 with HDMI output.
RAM: 1.5 GB DDR
2 HDD: 200GB + 80GB

OS Kubuntu 13.04 Release 32 bit runs Frodo

I seem to remember a patch file somewhere (gfx card & OS dependat) Darhma to update to Eden. Sadly it's the needs of the many that outweigh the needs of the few. If you want to keep up with the latest software, you have to be prepared to keep up the hardware.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC won't start0