Save the environment?!
By default visualisation for MP3 playback is enabled in XBMC. Obviously visualisation uses a lot more CPU cycles and thus power than the GUI. I have disabled it completely to have my Xbox run cooler. But recently I realised that if visualisation, although it looks very slick, would be disabled by default in XBMC, this could potentionally save a lot of power/energy all over the world (as there are problably 100.000's (or even more) Xbox'es out there running XBMC). This could be our contribution in fighting the green-house effect and other related problems....

What do you think?
arnova Wrote:By default visualisation for MP3 playback is enabled in XBMC. Obviously visualisation uses a lot more CPU cycles and thus power than the GUI. I have disabled it completely to have my Xbox run cooler. But recently I realised that if visualisation, although it looks very slick, would be disabled by default in XBMC, this could potentionally save a lot of power/energy all over the world (as there are problably 100.000's (or even more) Xbox'es out there running XBMC). This could be our contribution in fighting the green-house effect and other related problems....

What do you think?

I'm thinking that I hope you are joking.

You are awarded no points and everyone in this forum is now dumber for reading this post.
nate12o6 Wrote:I'm thinking that I hope you are joking.

You are awarded no points and everyone in this forum is now dumber for reading this post.

No I am not joking! But I am truly sorry that I hurt your feelings :-S You could have told this in a more polite way IMHO. You don't have to insult someone just because you don't agree....
we would save even more by not turning it on for a few days. we could save even more by taking a walk more often. we could save even more by not consuming so much. we could save more by stop living our lives and using energy purely for the most essential of needs. But that would be no fun wouldn´t it?
All I´m saying it´s all relative. And turning of visualisation on your mediacenter isn´t going to make the slightest of difference.
Jeroen Wrote:we would save even more by not turning it on for a few days. we could save even more by taking a walk more often. we could save even more by not consuming so much. we could save more by stop living our lives and using energy purely for the most essential of needs. But that would be no fun wouldn´t it?
All I´m saying it´s all relative. And turning of visualisation on your mediacenter isn´t going to make the slightest of difference.

Sure...you're right. @Jeroen I noted you live in Holland, so probably know the line "een beter milieu begint bij jezelf" ;-) That was the basic idea, I didn't expect people to react so emotionally in this "idea"....
arnova Wrote:Sure...you're right. @Jeroen I noted you live in Holland, so probably know the line "een beter milieu begint bij jezelf" ;-) That was the basic idea, I didn't expect people to react so emotionally in this "idea"....

Yes. I thought it was a bad idea. But i was obviously quoting a line from the movie billy madison. No emotion was used it my reaction Wink
nate12o6 Wrote:Yes. I thought it was a bad idea. But i was obviously quoting a line from the movie billy madison. No emotion was used it my reaction Wink

Nate your original post on this thread made me laugh so hard (no offense Arnova - I like the way you think). I was hoping Arnova would respond in kind with Billy's next line.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKjxFJfcrcA
canyonquest Wrote:Nate your original post on this thread made me laugh so hard (no offense Arnova - I like the way you think). I was hoping Arnova would respond in kind with Billy's next line.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKjxFJfcrcA

No offense taken ;-) I simply don't know the movie, it is as simple as that (and I think most folks in Holland don't). So I simply didn't understand it was a joke....
Yeah save the enviroment! Get a USED Xbox and put XBMC on it instead of buying a NEW naff media centre that is not as good!

Go Green! re-use your waste XBOX!
props for thinking about this kinda stuff, but there are much better things we could do to reduce carbon footprints and such than turning off visualizations on an xbox. And don't feel too bad, I didn't get the billy madison quote either. I happen to be one of the 5 or so americans who've never seen it.
timdog82001 Wrote:props for thinking about this kinda stuff, but there are much better things we could do to reduce carbon footprints and such than turning off visualizations on an xbox.

I agree there are better things we can do, but then why not this too? every little thing makes a difference. Smile

That said i think i'd leavie it on by default as new users would (Mostly i assume) want all the cool fautures to work out of the box.

Great thinking arnova!

Shorty
ShortySco Wrote:I agree there are better things we can do, but then why not this too? every little thing makes a difference. Smile

That said i think i'd leavie it on by default as new users would (Mostly i assume) want all the cool fautures to work out of the box.

Great thinking arnova!

There was a whole push a couple years back to get Google to change their page to primarily black. The thinking was that scaled across all of their users, the power saved in displaying the black instead of white would save tons of energy. Some people started crunching the numbers and it turns out the savings is negligible and the whole idea died.

Maybe this would have slightly larger effect, but it'd still be less than each person replacing a light in their house with a fluorescent alternative. It's one of those things that is nice in theory but the savings amounts to near nothing and as a result really isn't that great of an idea.

A far better idea would be changing the auto-shutdown setting to 10 minutes by default. It would save far more power.
actually if I recall correctly, the google deal actually saved considerable amounts of energy on CRT screens. Unfortunately, the number of people who actually use those still is less and less each year and the energy needed to produce white or black on an LCD is identical. There's a site http://www.blackle.com though that uses the google search engine only display everything in black instead of white if you do still use a crt and are interested in that.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Save the environment?!0