Acer Aspire X1200-U1510A - suitable hardware for XBMC?
Question 
Quote:Acer® Aspire X1200-U1510A: Available now for $459.99

* AMD Athlon™ X2 Dual Core 5000+ Processor
* NVIDIA® GeForce® 8200 On-Board Graphics
* 4GB DDR2 Memory
* 320GB SATA II Hard Drive
* 16x DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM SuperMulti, Double-Layer Drive
* 14-in-One Media Card Reader
* Windows Vista® Premium 64 with SP1

I'm thinking about replacing my living room Intel Mac Mini. The system above includes HDMI out, so I was wondering if it was suitable for XBMC. Ignore the Vista, first task would be wiping it and installing Ubuntu.
Just saw that on engadget. You beat me to it! Would love to know if the specs are good enough as I'll definately pick one up!
Only seem to be missing S/PDIF digital audio out(?) otherwise looks like a great little box.

I wonder how quiet/cool it will run? and if it possible to get cheaper without Vista? Huh
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Looks like a decent box, especially for the price. Pretty close to the specs on mine. No digital audio out (beside the hdmi which isn't supported in linux afaik) which isn't great.
return null;
Yep, don't see why not. It should be capable of 720p and most 1080p. If you need digital audio out, just buy a halfheight soundcard.
Smile 
xgrep Wrote:No digital audio out (beside the hdmi which isn't supported in linux afaik)
HDMI audio outout will probabaly be support for most chips by ALSA soon (and when it is supported by ALSA it will be supported by XBMC for Linux).

rodalpho Wrote:If you need digital audio out, just buy a halfheight soundcard.
If anyone buys one then please check the motherboard if it is possible to install one of these => http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=34560

Wink
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
nice little system. like gamester, i wonder about the heat and noise.
and i was looking at some press releases which say it supports 7.1 sound.
Well, my goal is to shift the living room Mac Mini to our home office for my wife, with a 22 " wide screen monitor that I have. That's no problem, I know I can make that work. What I'm wondering is if this box will serve as our living room HTPC running Ubuntu/XBMC with a direct connection (HDMI) to our Panasonic 60" LCD. The audio will be connected to our home stereo system, so HDMI audio is not a problem. I'm running SVN and don't want to blow $500 on something that won't work and make my wife want to chop my head off Smile

I'm ONLY interested in a Linux system.
The answer is yes, it should work.
The HDMI audio will be a problem if ALSA does not support it, you have to check that with ALSA (or those who build the ALSA deb/ppa for Ubuntu)
So, has anyone picked one of these up yet?

Interested in its performance on the birdclip aka killasample and on the sound issue if the Asus SPDIF is all what is needed....

http://www.cesell.com/product.php?produc...t=0&page=1

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Acer Aspire X1200-U1510A - suitable hardware for XBMC?0