Solved When using Kodi my pc makes a really strange squealing noise?
When using kodi my PC makes a really strange squealing noise.
This happens when I scroll through the menus and when watching videos it is constant.
It's not loud but its annoying.

This sound only happens when I use kodi and I have never heard this when using other programs or games.

Here's a video of the noise.

https://youtu.be/J9E1_GvDOF0

My spec
I7 7700k
GTX 1070ti
16gb DDR4 RAM
Corsair CX550m
Unfortunately the youtube video doesn't display the characteristics you are suggesting, or at least on my set-up. Go into 'advanced/expert mode of settings>system>audio and ensure 'send low volume noise is not checked, along with a few of the others. If the tone is a 60 cycle humm.. then it's likely to be some grounding problem with the audio, or poor audio stage amplification.

Thinking about the design of flat panels brings the question of high voltage and flat panel power supplies. Ensure tight cabling, move the input line to the display if possible (note any changes in tempo or freq at this point). If your panel has options for 60/120/240 fps, change it and detect if the squealing should change, or better still turn off the display if that isn't directly connected to the panels audio while Kodi is running. I believe the source of your issue is the audio section of your display influenced by the high voltage pwrsupply, and a hardware problem. The fact that Kodi gives this issue, while your desktop doesn't... (put Kodi in windowed mode, how is it?) might be associated with fullscreen changes in res and freq.
What text was scrolling so fast at the beginning of the video? Just curious.

If the noise comes from your PC, it's likely the CPU that is vibrating at different hertzes, much like a coil whine. You could try refit your CPU cooler onto the CPU with a new layer of cooling paste to maybe dampen the 'thrills' a bit, but otherwise I don't think you can do much about it. It may also come from your PSU or other motherboard pars, also due to a whining coil.

See this article for more info: https://www.howtogeek.com/297166/what-is...-on-my-pc/
@PatK, I will try all steps mentioned, thanks

@Klojum, the fast scrolling text is the top option on the audio tab, which is displaying my 4K tv as the output.

The sound is definitely coming from my pc.
It does sound a little like coil whine but not entirely sure why it only does it with kodi.

I run most games at 1440p to 4K with all details which really pushes the system and I dont get this sound.
If its a physical power related issue try ensuring that your speakers and your amplifier are plugged into the same power board as your computer so they share the same grounding. If that didn't fix it try to plug them into different power sockets.
Its maybe related to the display resolution, try setting your monitors refresh rate to 59.964 hz or something lower like 24hz and see if it still happens. 
Ensure you don't have any overclocking software installed or running. If you do try resetting to defaults and uninstalling it.
It may be an issue with WASAPI mode, try going to the "playback" tab in your sound settings and finding your device and disabling exclusive mode. This will Disable WASAPI then try changing the sound settings in kodi to directsound.
The other option is ensure you have HD audio driver in your device manager sound card driver listing, the default "Realtek" driver which doesn't say HD audio in the driver name may cause this according to the kodi wiki.
I read online on some forums about how to possibly fix the issue for some laptops though these are just wild stabs in the dark and didn't work for me they may for your device,
Get the latest drivers for your sound device. if that doesn't work try uninstalling the drivers choosing to delete the driver files and let windows install its own drivers.
change the CPU priority of the program in task manager or try unchecking "give exclusive mode applications priority" 
you could try disabling "game mode" in windows 10. Or under your power settings in windows 10 click the "power button on click" change settings to disable fast boot in the settings.
Lastly these problems seem to occur with realtek audio devices like nvidia and AMD graphics cards or most onboard sound cards so you could try getting the latest HD audio drivers from Realtek instead of your device vendor and installing them and see if those drivers work.
I think I have fixed it.
What happened was I noticed that some of my games that arent that demanding had some screen tearing, so what I did was go to Nvidia Control Panel and V-Sync was switched off for my 1070ti. (I remember it being on when I last checked)
I turned it on and returned to my gaming session and then I thought to myself maybe that has fixed Kodi and it did.

So now it's working fine with no weird noise issues.

Thank you everybody for your input.
Oh and the fast text scrolling on the Audio Options for Kodi system settings has stopped also.
Thread marked solved.
(2019-08-31, 10:29)Mr Oni Wrote: When using kodi my PC makes a really strange squealing noise.
This happens when I scroll through the menus and when watching videos it is constant.
It's not loud but its annoying.

This sound only happens when I use kodi and I have never heard this when using other programs or games.

Here's a video of the noise.

https://youtu.be/J9E1_GvDOF0

My spec
I7 7700k
GTX 1070ti
16gb DDR4 RAM
Corsair CX550m

'My' Kodi device(s) only make that noise, when watching "Deliverance".

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
When using Kodi my pc makes a really strange squealing noise?0