Dell IR remote or the half-of-the-buttons-are-working remote :)
Information 
Hello Everybody. Ive been messing around with Xbmc for a while and I just need a little tip.
Im using the IR remote control that came with my Dell XPS M1530 and I realised there are a couple of buttons that dont work whereas some do.
Heres an image showing those that work (green) and those that dont (red).

I tried to edit the Keymap xml file but didnt what to change.

(as you can see, the enter/ok button-the most important one- isnt working Sad)

Any help would be greatly appreciated Big Grin , I tried looking on the forum but didnt find anything Huh
I have the exact same issue... although I am using Ubuntu and hence the Linux version of XBMC. After fishing in the forums I installed LIRC and tried messing around a bit but didn't make any difference. Fortunately the keyboard works... Smile
Note that the file is actually in X:\Documents And Settings\Administrator\Application Data\XBMC\UserData\Keymap.xml. Find the <keyboard> tag, and before <end>XBMC.ShutDown()</end> insert <key id="61548">Select</key>. It should look something like this:

<key id="61548">Select</key>
<end>XBMC.ShutDown()</end>
</keyboard>
</global>

BTW: Been working on replacing MediaDirect partition with XBMC/TinyXP. Anyone succeed?
Hi yarongolan thanks for the suggestion - so I edited my Keymap.xml file with the revised key id as per your post but unfortunately it didn't seem to make any difference. The all important OK/Enter key still didnt seem to work. Sad
Maybe the wrong XML file you are working on. The location got me all mixed up last night.

When you launc XBMC if it has the -p flag it looks for the xml in:
C:\Documents and Settings\User Account\Application Data\XBMC\UserData
Bear in mind that 'User Account' is the account you are in, and may not be Administrator

If you do not have the -p flag then it uses the xml in
C:\Program Files\XBMC

The -p is for Platform mode, I guess this is a compatibility mode for the old XBox builds.

If you are not sure just update both XML's. On a final note make sure you are running the newest build of XBMC. Seems to make a difference.

Mike

Icey Wrote:Hi yarongolan thanks for the suggestion - so I edited my Keymap.xml file with the revised key id as per your post but unfortunately it didn't seem to make any difference. The all important OK/Enter key still didnt seem to work. Sad
Hey guys, just wanted to say thanks for the help in getting the Dell remote working.
Actually I was using the Linux build... but last night I re-installed XP and the latest Windows XBMC install went perfectly.
After adding this line to the Keymap.xml file: <key id="61548">Select</key> the enter/ok key works! Smile

One last query is any idea how I can get the Pause button to work?
I assume I need to add another key id string into the xml file with a different id number?

Thanks!
Where in Keymap.xml should I put the string

<key id="61548"> Select </ key>
I am running XBMC for linux on a Dell Inspiron 1525 with this remote. I have updated the xml file with the line below but the enter/select key still doesn't work. Can someone please confirm/clarify exactly what i need to do to get this to work? I can only find one copy of the xml file on my system so I can't figure what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks in advance
Silas (Son of)
I realized I posted this in the XBMC for Windows section. Apologies.

I have fixed this.

I subsequently found I did indeed have 2x keymap.xml files as suggested by an earlier post, although when searched in ubuntu only 1 was returned in the search results.

I accidentally discovered the 2nd after dual booting into Windows on the same machine and installing XBMC for windows and performing a search in Windows with the intention of editing the WINDOWS keymap.xml.

I have my Ubuntu partition mounted under Windows and the search revealed not only the windows keymap.xml, but also that on the Ubuntu partition there were 2 keymap.xml files. I edited both as per the post below, rebooted back into Ubuntu and all the buttons on the Dell Travel remote were working perfectly.

Interestingly, I still cannot find the 2nd keymap.xml under Ubuntu.

Son of Silas Wrote:I am running XBMC for linux on a Dell Inspiron 1525 with this remote. I have updated the xml file with the line below but the enter/select key still doesn't work. Can someone please confirm/clarify exactly what i need to do to get this to work? I can only find one copy of the xml file on my system so I can't figure what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks in advance
Silas (Son of)
Thanks for the help. I had the same problem.

If you want to use the other (play/pause, stop...) buttons, you can use an application like key extender (google it). It lets you remap the keys on your remote to e.g. the default xbmc keys. Very useful in my opinion.
Hello,
I want add the remote DELL ir in REMOTEXBMC 2.0. PLease use the soft TESTUSB change the ini file VendorID=&H54C ProductID=&H268 with your hardware.
Run TESTUSB.exe, insert the key function to the textbox and press the key (repeat for all key) .The log file is generat and send me the file.

Soft for detect your hardware here
Hi folks,

The solution I have is for Windows (given that's where I found the thread I thought I'd post to the thread, but will probably create a separate one too).

I've created a ZIP with details here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?zntziqmnmjz

I have all the buttons working and have the basic behaviour of XBMC covered. Big Grin

I hope this helps someone else out.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Dell IR remote or the half-of-the-buttons-are-working remote :)0