Support for multi-disk movies in the video library? Normal vs. Extended Edition, etc.
Lightbulb 
I just started ripping my DVDs to a HDD, so that when I select them in XBMC I get full DVD menus etc. and its awesome
However, for it to be perfect I'd like a way to have a choice between multiple disks if there's more than one i.e Movie->Disk1/Disk2
with the thumbnails for the disk art
I can do this in File mode, but is there any chance of it happening in Library mode?
(Obviously if the movie is just a avi/1disk you wouldn't get the second menu)

Any response is much appreciated
It depends on how you ripped them. If they're avi's then yes it works out of the box as stacking. If they're ISO's then it'll work, though I have no idea how well (probably not very if it includes menus and so on).

If they're dvdfolders then it won't work at all.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Thanks, but that's not actuallly what I meant sorry:

I mean if you have a 2disc boxset for example, in file view I can have it so I select the movie, and then it gives me the choice between disc 1 and disc 2, which lead to the correct disc - I was asking if this was possible to implement in Library?
No. But if you put them in different folders (NOT named CD1 & CD2!) and they'll both be added to the library. You'll then need to use "change title" from the context menu to add "disc 1" and "disc 2".
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Oh ok, so there's no way to get it so that there isn't two entries if there's two discs, but rather that once you select a movie it lets you choose between the discs, perhaps with the disc art?
Seems like it might be fairly easy to implement but I know nothing about coding >_<
Thanks again
Probably not unless you code it yourself, and it sounds like that's not going to happen.
ah ok thanks anywayyy
You mean when Disk-1 contain the normal edition of the movie (as shown in the final cut cinema version of a movie) and Disk-2 contain the Extended Edition, Special Edition, Unrated Edition, or Director's Cut Edition?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Director's_...l_editions
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_cut_privilege
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Director's_cut
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_edition
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_modification

If so then you are not really asking for multiple "DVD disk" support in the library, but support for multiple versions of the same movie in the library. For that I think you would probably have to request support in XBMC scrapers and video database for a new NFO tag like <edition> or something similar, and tags for it such as "Extended Edition", "Unrated Edition", or "Director's Cut" that could later be displayed and filtered in the video library.

Thus new code would have to be added to XBMC Nod
and until the scraper can support such a concept, its possible to do this manually as i described. the important thing is that each version be in its own folder, but you have to name them uniquely. do not use "CDx" even as a suffix (-CDx) to avoid being folder stacked. after you scan, you'll find two copies on the library, and then you can change the title of one. but you'll have to figure out which is which by playing them.

and further stacking them into a single "entity" where upon selection you get another menu is certainly possible. ive been working on something similar to reduce duplicates in the library listing. the hardest problem is figuring out what items should be stacked because its a multi-part file that wasnt stacked properly to begin with, which ones might be a situation like this where there are intentionally two copies, and which ones are truly duplicates.

my initial plan is to auto stack those items where the title is the same, and filepath is the same, sequentially using an alpha numeric sort of the filenames.

after giving this a little more thought, this may be a good compromise for the items that do not meet this criteria. the base title view will show a single item and if the items cant be stacked, you get another listing of the duplicates. (though, this presents another issue that Xbmc needs to keep both the scraped title, and the user defined custom title in the database, this would be easiest done via another table that links the custom title to original movie entry. if a custom title exists, that's displayed, not the scraped title.)

lets see what other comments arise.
I might have misunderstood, but I thought the OP was referring to movies like the Fellowship of the Ring Extended Edition, which is on 2 disks, or Goodfellas, which requires you to flip the disk (thus if you rip folders to IFO you will have to have 2 folders.

Does that make sense?
its the same thing. they are items that you intentionally don't want stacked or shouldn't be stacked. (and in the case of two dvd's, we cant stack them.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Support for multi-disk movies in the video library? Normal vs. Extended Edition, etc.0