Anyone tried to run XBMC on Windows XP Embedded or Windows PE?
Question 
Just curious to know if anyone has tried to create a HTPC by running XBMC on Windows PE (Preinstallation Enviroment) ... it's basically a stripped down version of windows (that can even be run of a CD if need be). I believe it's free if you already own a copy of windows. I'm trying to make a PC that does nothing but run XBMC ... the obvious choice would be to use Linux, however, I'm having issues with some of the drivers (can't get 1280x720 output no matter what I try) so I'm thinking of maybe doing things with Windows instead.

Thanks,
Harry
I think that you would want to run Windows XP Embedded (XPe) instead of Windows PE.

Microsoft designed Windows XP Embedded to run that way, Windows PE was not. So why not get a fast 1GB CompactFlash memory card (or larger) and a CF to IDE/ATA/SATA adapter to install Windows XP Embedded on and boot to and try? If you do then please let us know how it goes.

PS! Windows Embedded Standard 2009 (next generation of Windows XP Embedded) will probably be even better suited for this task as it will feature SuperFetch and ReadyBoost which should improve performance, however it has not yet come out on the market.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Other alternatives: use nlite to strip a standard xp cd down to its bare minimum that is needed to run xbmc (something I would be interested in, since you can use a standard xp licence - although I do have access to xp embedded from university) or try to find Windows FLP (stands for "Windows for legacy pcs) - an already stripped down xp version.
I haven't really gotten to try any of those things yet though, because I use my pc for different things also and don't really fancy rebooting all the time. And if I needed a standalone thing, I could just use linux Wink
There is a serious downside with PE in this case. It will automatically reboot in 72? hours. Was 24 in the pe 1.X series.

XP embeded or WinFLP is more suited for this task.
another option is XSOS which is a striped down windows like OS I had a play with it on VMware but couldn't work out how to add GPU drives so Didn't get very far with XBMC. They have got A new version in beta apparently supported by MS which will incorporate DIRECT X10
I tried XBMC on two separate XPe machines I had laying around... It didn't want to work on either. I think the video card in it was not up to the task....
Well, i'm now downloading Windows Embedded Standard 2009 CTP through my account. So i guess I can try it out. Never messed with it before actually, but i'm sure i'll be fine. I have 4 gigs of ram (currently using 2 thanks to creative's lovely/crappy xfi drivers.) and x64 pro, gf 9600 card w/ 512 on board, and dual boot vista 64bit.
can you even load openGL drivers in the WinPE edition?
marlboroman1 Wrote:another option is XSOS which is a striped down windows like OS I had a play with it on VMware but couldn't work out how to add GPU drives so Didn't get very far with XBMC. They have got A new version in beta apparently supported by MS which will incorporate DIRECT X10

Got any link to more info about xsos? I found http://www.xtremesystems.com which seems to be related, but can't find any more info to an actual download or how to get the os, etc.

Thanks,
Harry
waldo22 Wrote:can you even load openGL drivers in the WinPE edition?

that was one of the problems I had with XPe
waldo22 Wrote:can you even load openGL drivers in the WinPE edition?
I do not think so, but you can use all standard Windows XP device-drivers in Windows XP Embedded (XPe) and Windows Embedded Standard 2009 which is one of the reasons that I suggested them instead of Windows PE, (again, Windows XP Embedded is designed for this purpose among other things, while Windows PE is not, so I suggest that you do not even try to bother with Windows PE).
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Gamester17 Wrote:I do not think so, but you can use all standard Windows XP device-drivers in Windows XP Embedded (XPe) and Windows Embedded Standard 2009 which is one of the reasons that I suggested them instead of Windows PE, (again, Windows XP Embedded is designed for this purpose among other things, while Windows PE is not, so I suggest that you do not even try to bother with Windows PE).

Gamester,

That's exactly why I asked, is because people seemed to be ignoring your suggestions.

I guess it's always worth a try, but if it can't load standard OGL drivers, there's no point. Just use the embedded versions, or better yet, open

services.msc

...and disable absolutely everything that isn't networking related or essential to the system running. I have an XP install on an OLD laptop that boots up and loads completely using under 60 MB of RAM, and that is with wireless support.

This is without using nlite or any other programs, I just disabled all startup programs and services that are non-essential.
You guys should also checkout this discussion here => http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=34325

Nod
What I did was install TinyXP Rev 9, and then XBMC. Memory req are very low, and the thing boots in seconds.
yarongolan Wrote:What I did was install TinyXP Rev 9, and then XBMC. Memory req are very low, and the thing boots in seconds.

I'm curious, how many seconds are we talking about? Actually, what was it before TinyXP and what is it now?

Thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Anyone tried to run XBMC on Windows XP Embedded or Windows PE?0