DVD2XBOX intergration into XBMC?
i don't understand why people want this feature. you can easily launch dvd2xbox from xbmc, and exit from it back into xbmc. it might require one or two extra button presses. is that a reason to divert valuable developer time away from other important xbmc projects?

also, if there's even a .01% chance that this feature would bring movie studios to look at xbmc as a possible piracy-encourager, i think that's good enough reason not to do it.

i vote no.
(jsd @ april 23 2005,17:58 Wrote:i don't understand why people want this feature. you can easily launch dvd2xbox from xbmc, and exit from it back into xbmc. it might require one or two extra button presses. is that a reason to divert valuable developer time away from other important xbmc projects?

also, if there's even a .01% chance that this feature would bring movie studios to look at xbmc as a possible piracy-encourager, i think that's good enough reason not to do it.

i vote no.
exactly

integration is a waste of time
how about have an in-built game installer, dvd2xbox is good but how about having an intergrated xbmc version? i know that a few people wont say its media but, i believe games are media.
xbmc is good as a dashboard, so you have to realize that people will want it to do everything it possibly can. i want this feature, although i can just as easily use the filebrowser.
place in programs, dvd-unit, option to copy the game to hd.
personally, i agree there is more core work to be done, but i disagree that there could be possible legal reprecussions (sp?) from adding a "game ripping" feature. there are a few reasons why i disagree with this philosophy.

first, xbmc is technically only source code, it is not a distributed binary which imo would make such a feature no more questionable than the entire project. also, in regards to "circumventing security", ms is circumventing security by supporting cd ripping is windows media center. granted that is a slightly different monster, the fact remains that it is ripping a commercial cd. finally, it has already been stated that it can be done currently using the file manager, so it would really be no different than doing it the "manual" way.

that said, it would be great to get some feedback from members of team xbmc regarding their position on third party development of a "game ripping" feature.

regards,
los93sol
bump even though it's controversial
im very much in favor.
check out the best dvd editing software available: dvd remake pro
Best CD Ripper Available (better then EAC): dbpoweramp R12 reference
i see alot of people saying you can launch dvd2xbox as a seperate app, and i say that is very true.

but if i wanted to launch a thousand apps each to do a different thing then i wouldn't use xbmc. the reason i use xbmc is because it does almost everything without having to load different apps. just like the dvd player and file browser, sure there are apps out there that do these things, but i like it much better when they are integrated with xbmc.

profhalo
(profhalo @ sep. 06 2005,15:43 Wrote:but if i wanted to launch a thousand apps each to do a different thing then i wouldn't use xbmc. the reason i use xbmc is because it does almost everything without having to load different apps. just like the dvd player and file browser, sure there are apps out there that do these things, but i like it much better when they are integrated with xbmc.
couldn't have said it better myself :thumbsup:
I'm the one currently maintaning the Norwegian translation. Please drop me a message if you find errors or room for improvement.
Sad 
(profhalo @ sep. 06 2005,14:43 Wrote:if i wanted to launch a thousand apps each to do a different thing then i wouldn't use xbmc.
we have to draw the line somewhere, xbmc is after all not an operating system with all acomponing software you can install, ...i've seen requests for e-mail clients, build-in mini-games, file-server, dhcp-server, java-runtime-enviroment, even other game-console emulators and many other odd things that do not belong in a media-player application (which is after all what xbmc is),  ...i know that many people get excited when they see everything that xbmc can do and the want it to do 'just a little more' to "make xbmc perfect for them", i can partially understand this but you have to be realistic, (and only arguing that "my weather" doesn't belong in a media center so why should not their 'special feature' not be added too is not a reason enough to add all and anything to xbmc).
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
if the dvd label is available to python then this would easily be coded into a script and its fairly simple to add a button to my programs to run it.

xbmc team doesnt have to code everything. thats why python is there for all you 3rd party ppl
(gamester17 @ sep. 06 2005,17:50 Wrote:xbmc is after all not an operating system
isn't it?

sure it wasn't meant to be, but i guess you'll agree that it in fact has become the most powerfull and feature rich os for the xbox today - from a users point of wiev.

i belive that is something the team should take into consideration in the future...
I'm the one currently maintaning the Norwegian translation. Please drop me a message if you find errors or room for improvement.
xbmc is not an os. nevermind that there can never be a true os under the xbox kernel

directly from xbmc's sourceforge page,

Quote:xboxmediacenter (xbmc) is a multimedia player jukebox for microsoft xbox game console

what you think xbmc should be and what the xbmc project is (and it's goal is) are two different things
Big Grin 
(vnm @ sep. 08 2005,13:18 Wrote:
(gamester17 @ sep. 06 2005,17:50 Wrote:xbmc is after all not an operating system
isn't it?
no, xbmc is not an operating system. xbmc is one excutable running in one process, the xbox bios (which is as close to an operating system you get on the original xbox as it is it that controlles the low-level access to the xbox hardware resourses such as memory, processor and harddrive, and presents that as a high-level api (application program interface) to the application or game running on the xbox) do not support more than one excutable/process running at any one time.      ...a simplified definition of a operating system (os) is an under-laying system software responsible for the direct control and management of hardware, and additionally can have several excutables (application software) running under it at the time (and each of those excutables can be running one or more processes), see wikipedia.org for a more detailed description.

if you want to run a true operating system on the xbox then a xbox-linux distribution is your only choise (in order to run linux on the xbox they replace the xbox-bios with a real x86 bios, as the xbox-bios can not run linux, ...and the linux bios for xbox can not xbox games made with the xdk)

ps! see xbox-linux faq for more answers to questions like: the xbox is a standard pc, isn't it?, and why not develop on top of the xbox kernel?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DVD2XBOX intergration into XBMC?0