XBMC Notifier for Windows - Release
Hello all,

I have worked alot on my little notification application for XBMC since i anounced it some time ago.

Quote from my old anouncement:
----------------------------------------
For some time I have thought about how cool it could be if XBMC did notify me every time I get an e-mail (that passes my spam filter of cause) and like when a download is finished (I use Ninan to grab files from Usenet)

So I started programming a little very simple application that could send a notification command to XBMC with some information about that event just happened.
For example
| Information!
| New e-mail has arrived
Or
| Download completed!
| XBMC for Windows

Download link: http://www.sbrandsborg.dk/xbmcnotifier/XBMCNotifier.exe

Documentation:http://www.sbrandsborg.dk/xbmcnotifier/d...tation.htm

To run XBMC Notifier, you need have the newest .net framework installed.

Please let me know if any of you find this application usefull? Smile
My XBMC system:
XBMC PC: 2.2 GHz Dual-core, GeForce 6400 GS, 2 GB Ram
Remote: Phillips Pronto RC9800i
TV: Phillips 42" LCD 1080p 42PFL7962D
Dreambox: Dreambox 500-S
XBMC Tools - Coming soon
XBMC .net API - Coming soon
do you have a screenshot of what it looks like in xbmc?
Very Cool! I will give it a test tonight!
Is it only email and usenet notifications it shows up or are there others too like msn, bittorrent and stuff?
flipped cracker Wrote:do you have a screenshot of what it looks like in xbmc?

Yes i have screen shots from 2 difference skins:
MC360 Notification
Project Mayhem 3 Notification

exxo Wrote:Is it only email and usenet notifications it shows up or are there others too like msn, bittorrent and stuff?

My plan is to expand it with more and more features, i have some idears om the next im gonna add:
  • MSN Messenger (New message have been received)
  • Forum watcher (New Replies on threads you are monitoring)
  • RSS Feed (New items in the rss feed, like news and such)
  • Outlook (New e-mail have been received)

Any ideers to other features?
My XBMC system:
XBMC Tools - Coming soon
Can you minimise it to sys tray?
Geeba Wrote:Can you minimise it to sys tray?

Not yet, its one of the next features im gonna implant, right now its running on my server as a service, so its completely hidden Smile
My XBMC system:
XBMC Tools - Coming soon
I Like the idea very much and its cool and if the API is open enough I'm sure many peopel would write plugins for it.
Don't forget you can change the icon as well to other images (not sure if you can send the image though)
Sounds promising, definitely something I would find very useful
Regarding email notifications, please don't limit it's use to Outlook.
Will be keeping an eye on this Smile
Jezz_X Wrote:I Like the idea very much and its cool and if the API is open enough I'm sure many peopel would write plugins for it.
Don't forget you can change the icon as well to other images (not sure if you can send the image though)

Im trying to work out a way to make it possible for people to write there own "plugins" but i dont know, when that feature will come.

Jeroen Wrote:Sounds promising, definitely something I would find very useful
Regarding email notifications, please don't limit it's use to Outlook.
Will be keeping an eye on this Smile

I have thought alot about this, if i want XBMC Notifier to interact with an individual application like Outlook, or if i want it to connect to a Pop3 server to check for new emails.

Dont know what will be the best way yet Smile
My XBMC system:
XBMC Tools - Coming soon
sbrandsborg Wrote:ndividual application like Outlook, or if i want it to connect to a Pop3 server to check for new emails.

Dont know what will be the best way yet Smile

I'm speaking for myself here, as I use Thunderbird, but I also think a lot of people don't use an email client at all and rely on web-based services to check their email. So imo a server check would be of use to anyone.

Another idea for a feature would be linking it to people's calendars / taskplanners. Although a problem would be people using different solutions for this like google calendar, outlook , etc.

All in all, a great idea. This could become XBMC's Growl or Snarl Smile
Jeroen Wrote:All in all, a great idea. This could become XBMC's Growl or Snarl Smile
I've implemented a notification system into a product for my company and found that growl is a great design for providing incredible flexibility. I'd suggest that you consider supporting at least what they do in a message (synopsis from the growl docs):
Application - Name of application, version independent. Like Winamp and Winamp Pro are both Winamp.
Name - Human readable "class" of notification. "New message" or "Can not connect' (for email), "Download begun" or "Download complete" or "Download error" (for downloader)
Icon - Url for icon to display or use the application's default icon if none. Can use any XBMC-able URL probably.
Priority - -2 to +2. Can change font size, color, or play a sound depending on priority.
Stickiness - Auto hide or stay until clicked. Maybe change from notify to OK dialog in XBMC
Click content - Can't see this being implemented in XBMC, but what to do when the user clicks it.

The idea being that each application has its own property page with a list of notification names the user can switch on or off. What to do for each priority can be modified globally or per-application, as can stickiness, but I don't think that should be a requirement of the XBMC notification system.

The upside to supporting all these fields is that it is very easy to modify support for a client to add xbmc-notify if they have growl support already. It also provides enough fields that you're not just dumping a hunk of text on the screen, its parts can be skinned properly and the icon can provide an instant cue as to what is sending the notify.
Hmmm...
Det her kunne blive et rigtigt fedt program når det begynder at understøtte lidt flere programmer.
Held og lykke med det Smile
CapnBry Wrote:I've implemented a notification system into a product for my company and found that growl is a great design for providing incredible flexibility. I'd suggest that you consider supporting at least what they do in a message (synopsis from the growl docs):
Application - Name of application, version independent. Like Winamp and Winamp Pro are both Winamp.
Name - Human readable "class" of notification. "New message" or "Can not connect' (for email), "Download begun" or "Download complete" or "Download error" (for downloader)
Icon - Url for icon to display or use the application's default icon if none. Can use any XBMC-able URL probably.
Priority - -2 to +2. Can change font size, color, or play a sound depending on priority.
Stickiness - Auto hide or stay until clicked. Maybe change from notify to OK dialog in XBMC
Click content - Can't see this being implemented in XBMC, but what to do when the user clicks it.

The idea being that each application has its own property page with a list of notification names the user can switch on or off. What to do for each priority can be modified globally or per-application, as can stickiness, but I don't think that should be a requirement of the XBMC notification system.

The upside to supporting all these fields is that it is very easy to modify support for a client to add xbmc-notify if they have growl support already. It also provides enough fields that you're not just dumping a hunk of text on the screen, its parts can be skinned properly and the icon can provide an instant cue as to what is sending the notify.

Those are some good ideas i will remember that when im gonna make the "plug in" feature

exxo Wrote:Hmmm...
Det her kunne blive et rigtigt fedt program når det begynder at understøtte lidt flere programmer.
Held og lykke med det Smile

Danish: Det jo det, kan nævne at i den næste version er der understøttelse af RSS feeds, så den kan give notifications når der kommer nye nyheder i RSS feedet (foreksempel fra ekstabladet.dk)

English: As Exxo wrote "it can be a very cool application when it starts to support some more applications"

For now i have implanted RSS feed support in the next version, so it will send notifications when the RSS feed is updated.
My XBMC system:
XBMC Tools - Coming soon
Finally I got a new version ready, in this version I have added 2 new modules, an RSS Reader and a module for testing. Also I have added the ability to minimize to tray

Changelog
Version 1.0.1 – 2008-07-17
• Added – Minimize to tray
• Added – Minimize to tray on startup
• Added – Application icons
• Added – Last message time
• Added – Tester module
• Added – RSS Reader module
• Added – Version numbering
• Changed – Documentation document from HTML to PDF
Version 1.0.0 – 2008-07-12
• Added – Everything