• 5(current)
[WINDOWS] Launcher plugin for XBMC
Just use the launcher script from this thread. leo might want to change it to execwait. depends on what fits better.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
@WiSo
I used the launcher script unmodified to test your "test" .exe. I used it to launch Firefox which before caused the command prompt issue. It worked perfectly (after I removed the quotes around the launch item that the launcher puts there by default). Firefox opened and XBMC minimized to the taskbar. As you mentioned there is no way to get back to XBMC though. When I closed FireFox, XBMC stayed in the taskbar. I can get around this with EventGhost myself, but I don't know how others will do it. I know when I do this with Meedio, it does not minimize, the app that is called just comes in front and when it is closed Meedio is already there waiting. I'm guessing this isn't an option for XBMC though.

What else should I test with this?
XBMC with launcher plugin and SageTV in action:
http://www.vimeo.com/1392610
Don't have the plugin in front of me but you can search for system.exec inside the *.py files and replace it by system.execwait. This will freeze XBMC (doesn't matter if you don't need it) but allows XBMC to maximize again.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
I tried this out but after overwriting the XBMC .exe I get this error "Wlanapi.dll not found" did I get the wrong end of the stickHuh
grr, I've forgot to disable it in this build. The wlanapi is used to display information about the wlan hw. If you don't have wlan this dll isn't there (stupid MS). You can just copy it from somewhere I guess or insert a USB wlan stick and afterwards it should be there.
Next build will be of course without it ... hopefully Laugh
thanks downloaded the dll and got the plugin working seems to work well for firebox. I all so tried vuze which seem hit and miss it loaded once but took ages but if it was already running in the system tray it switch to it no problem. I all so tried IMG burn that work well.
WiSo Wrote:Don't have the plugin in front of me but you can search for system.exec inside the *.py files and replace it by system.execwait. This will freeze XBMC (doesn't matter if you don't need it) but allows XBMC to maximize again.
Okay, I did that. It does work well for Firefox. For SageTV, not so well. SageTV is already running in the system tray. When I "launch" it from within XBMC the screen flashes as if it launched the program, then goes back to XBMC, then switches to Sage. If I sleep Sage back to the system tray, XBMC does not restore itself. This makes sense as SageTV never actually quits. For me system.exec works better in this instance (with EvenGhost maximizing XBMC after Sage sleeps).

I'm not sure what you are monitoring for the launched app to close, but can you monitor if it is minimized and not closed?
kricker Wrote:I'm not sure what you are monitoring for the launched app to close, but can you monitor if it is minimized and not closed?

When I launch the application I got a process handle back. Without launching an app I won't get it so with the current implementation I can't monitor an app not launched via XBMC.
WiSo Wrote:When I launch the application I got a process handle back. Without launching an app I won't get it so with the current implementation I can't monitor an app not launched via XBMC.
If it was launched by XBMC can you monitor if it was minimized or not?
I all so tried system.execwait which work much better Vuze, IMGburn and firefox all launched and exited quickly and with out problems bring back up xbmc.

Like kriker if in open my torrent client dont want have to close to get back to xbmc but rather minimize to the tray return to xbmc. I may want to check in on it to wile its running as well.

I hope a third way can be found which can incorporate minimising and sill allow return full screen to xbmc. I'd also like able to play my tunes will browsing the web or playing games or whatever the best of both options.

some this may be outside of the scope of this plugin and I just to say appreciate the work being put in on this and if above to seem demanding it isn't meant to be
kricker Wrote:If it was launched by XBMC can you monitor if it was minimized or not?

Honestly I can't say. There may be also options to find a minimized windows which isn't launched by XBMC but I have to dig deeper into MSDN to find something.
For now I would like to commit the exec and execwait to svn since it seems to work like assumed. I'll keep the minimized thing in mind since whenever XBMC will get a program section back those functions will be needed anyway.
Do I get it right if i belive that what you want is something like this:
1. rember/store XBMCConfused windows state
2. launch some executable
3. When it terminates Xbmc should return to the previus state and get focus.

Then I have done parts 2 and 3 in vb code so there are API functions for it Smile. The trick would be to translate it to C++. Maybee the wmi class win32_process could be of some use
Thanks for the help but I found already some functions which could do the trick (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/...S.85).aspx).
I don't like the WMI thingy but have already some wrapper prepared to us this also.
The big question is on how to implement it in XBMC with the least efforts.
What you've described is partly working already or could be implemented when saving the process handle somewhere. Bigger question would be the switching to already open programs and how to switch back.
Now that this plugin exists, would it be possible to extend its functionality for playing movies with an external player?

In general, would much work be required to add the external video player functionality?
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] Launcher plugin for XBMC2