• 4(current)
Kodi + Shield + Dolby Vision
(2020-12-01, 23:45)quietvoid Wrote: I'm still just trying to build Kodi master so that it works with mp4

It already works with mp4 on certain devices.
(2020-12-02, 01:05)Hitcher Wrote:
(2020-12-01, 23:45)quietvoid Wrote: I'm still just trying to build Kodi master so that it works with mp4

It already works with mp4 on certain devices.

Well yes, except I can't make it work on my Android device (FireTV Stick 4K) with my own build.
Haven't tried the official beta build because I don't want to overwrite my current Leia install, unless you have a way to simply install it separately.
Hi,

if you google „Maven's Kodi-Builds“ you will find Custom Matrix Builds in the German Kodinerds forum:

He described his changes (only a minor customization) to the official Matrix build in the first post of that thread. Here is the English translation of his customization:

Quote:Display of the covers within channels, even when Kodi is not open in the background

This app doesn’t overwrite your default Kodi Leia Installation, because it has a different app name. This way you can use Matrix next to Leia.

With this app you can check at least, if the mp4 files work with your firetv. All the mp4 files work with my 2019 Shield Pro.

Best regards Hoppel
frontend: nvidia shield tv 2019 pro | apple tv 4k | sonos arc 5.1.2 | lg oled65c97la
backend: supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon | 64gb ecc | wd red | zfs raid-z2 | dd max s8

software: debian | proxmox | openmediavault | docker | kodi | emby | tvheadend | fhem | unifi
Now I've tried the official app as well, it doesn't work either.
So Kodi is either not very robust for playback, or the device is "unsupported", even though it tries using the right decoder.
"CDVDVideoCodecAndroidMediaCodec:: Open Android MediaCodec OMX.MTK.VIDEO.DECODER.DVHE.STN"
Might be worth opening an issue.
Kodi works fine with an Nvidia Shield TV 2019 Pro. The Matrix Nightly plays all the mp4 Dolby Vision test files. So yes, maybe it’s a device issue, but I don’t know.

Where do you want to open the issue? FFmpeg, Kodi, Plex, Amazon?

Regards Hoppel
frontend: nvidia shield tv 2019 pro | apple tv 4k | sonos arc 5.1.2 | lg oled65c97la
backend: supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon | 64gb ecc | wd red | zfs raid-z2 | dd max s8

software: debian | proxmox | openmediavault | docker | kodi | emby | tvheadend | fhem | unifi
I have no problem with other clients on the device so it is Kodi specific.
Also, Netflix on Leia plays Dolby Vision fine.
Hi guys,

I was in contact to the user maven from the German Kodinerds forum about quietvoid‘s GitHub pull request to the FFMPEG repository.

Maven made a new custom build based on Kodi Matrix for Dolby Vision tests with its own app name, so you can install and test it next to your productive Kodi Leia. He forked the FFMPEG Repo and implemented the code.

In the German Kodinerds community we already tested the resulting apk, but it doesn’t work. He can’t help with this stuff, but is willing to go on, if there are any further changes to FFMPEG related to the Dolby Vision code.

Maybe you @quietvoid or other developers want to collaborate with him at his repositories. You can find them here:

https://github.com/Maven85/kodi/tree/Matrix-test
https://github.com/Maven85/FFmpeg/tree/r...3-kodi-mkv

I hope it’s ok to post links to maven‘s repos here. If not, please tell me and I will remove the links.

Best regards Hoppel

@hoppel118 For what it's worth, my test build using the ffmpeg patch works just fine on my Firestick 4K.
At least, there is side data for Dolby Vision.
If you want you can forward my log to Maven: https://paste.kodi.tv/dorijasaqe.kodi

As for the actual playback in Dolby Vision, I think peak3d had mentioned a while back that using the ffmpeg demuxer would not work, but that might have changed.
Ok, that’s interesting, but fantastic news.

I will send your log and your answer to maven.

Do you have a repository, where we can see your specific code changes?

Can you have a look at maven‘s repositories? Maybe you see the mistake.

It would be nice, if we could try your custom build to check if it also works with the nvidia shield tv 2019. Is it possible to download the apk somewhere?

It would be nice, if we could relocate the communication to GitHub so that I do not have to play the bridge in different forums. I am not a developer. Wink

Regards Hoppel

I guess the person to ask what are the missing bits if any to hook everything together would @peak3d however he is extremely busy with work projects at the moment I wouldn't count on him replying.
(2020-12-04, 12:40)jjd-uk Wrote: I guess the person to ask what are the missing bits if any to hook everything together would @peak3d however he is extremely busy with work projects at the moment I wouldn't count on him replying.

Yes, maybe he is the only person who can bring us the final solution for this. I don’t hope so. Wink

But quietvoid wrote it already works for him. His (Plex) solution maybe a good workaround for testing purposes until we get the final solution.

@quietvoid Maven had a look at your logfile and wrote the following in German:

Quote:In dem Log von quietvoid sehe ich, dass zum Abspielen der mkv der Decoder "OMX.MTK.VIDEO.DECODER.HEVC" verwendet wurde.

Da müsste dann also auch normales HDR anstatt DV bei rausgekommen sein.

In English:

Quote:In quietvoid’s log I see that the decoder "OMX.MTK.VIDEO.DECODER.HEVC" was used to play the mkv.

So it should trigger and show normal HDR instead of DV.

@quietvoid Did you see the Dolby Vision or the HDR logo at your TVs Display?

Regards Hoppel

(2020-12-04, 14:04)hoppel118 Wrote: But quietvoid wrote it already works for him.

I could have read it wrong, but I interpreted what he said as the ffmpeg patch is working as he see's the side data reported in the log however he doesn't yet get Dolby Vision out from Kodi to the TV so something is still missing. If something is indeed still missing in order to get Dolby Vision out, then one I noticed when looking at the Plex version of ffmpeg is that they are using an older version, so perhaps something may have changed in one of the API's in the newer version that Kodi uses that needs to be taken into account somewhere.
Ok, maybe I misinterpreted quietvoid’s post. But yeah, what you understood and wrote sounds logical.

Let’s wait and see what quietvoid answers.

Regards Hoppel

Yes. I can't get any Dolby Vision files to play at all on my device. MP4 or MKV doesn't work.
The side data is detected, but there may be missing pieces in ffmpeg (as Maven noticed, there's a Tag value that's non-zero for the mp4s).

Regarding what @peak3d said, it was that the Android decoder expects all the data to be sent at once and not separately, so I'm still unsure what Matrix v19 even changed for the MP4 files to work on the SHIELD.
Can't seem to trace any commit back to a significant change in the code.
(2020-12-04, 17:09)quietvoid Wrote: Yes. I can't get any Dolby Vision files to play at all on my device. MP4 or MKV doesn't work.
I thought I would jump in, just to confirm. I added in the Plex ffmpeg patch to a fresh git pull of Kodi and compiled for my 2019 Shield. I was able to verify the patch was included, but it is not enough to make DV work with MKV. That said, the mp4 DV does work fine for me.

I'll gladly try any future patches, but probably won't do any dev work myself.
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi + Shield + Dolby Vision0