Rip DVD-Video to harddrive directly from XBMC (perhaps copy parts of DVD2Xbox code?)?
Lightbulb 
XBMC can already today rip Audio-CDs to the harddrive so how about also adding the ability to rip DVD-Video to the harddrive direct from XBMC GUI in the same manor? Same as WiSo's DVD2Xbox does, maybe we could even re-use the same code?

I am not talking transcoding/encoding to a other video codec format like Xvid or x264, I only mean rip to the harddrive and remove the CSS encryption and Macrovision protection, (same as DVD Decrypter and DVDFab Decrypter does in Windows), ..maybe add the option to rip as files or to an ISO, and of course automaticly add it to the library.

I think that would be great as it removes the need to even own a computer (or learn how to use software rippers on it) to rip DVD-Videos, simply pop it into your XBMC box in the living-room and rip it. Rent a DVD-Video and rip it and watch it when you have time.

What do you guys think? Huh

PS! This is becoming a more an more popular feature in open source media centers, and even a couple of high-end commersial media centers has it now (though they add their own DRM protection to it to prevent copying to a other computer than it was ripped to).
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I'd love to see this as well as encoding. Of course it would have to happen in the background since it can take a lot of time. Feature request it on trac.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
mmh, there might be issues with the legality. At for the pure ripping stuff I see no reason to remove the CSS since XBMC can play it fine from hdd.
The ISO stuff might be worse looking but the dvd2xbox one has a naturally flaw which is that it ripps the whole DVD whether it's content or nothing so you end up with 8gig for a double DVD.
The encoding stuff would be a nice one especially if it would handle multiple audio tracks Nod
Which part would be illegal? The distribution of binaries or the actual ripping? Any more illegal than distributing ffmpeg?
Lightbulb 
WiSo Wrote:the dvd2xbox one has a naturally flaw which is that it ripps the whole DVD whether it's content or nothing so you end up with 8gig for a double DVD
That is fine, some people actually prefer it (as it then works as a full backup which could later be burned to a dual-layer DVD-R if the user wanted a disc backup, ...harddrive space is also getting cheaper and cheaper as each year passes so if someone would like to backup their entire DVD-Video collection to the harddrive to add to their XBMC video library then I am sure that person can afford the harddrive space).

I know that at least Swedish and UK law permits one to do one backup copy of any media that one has bought, (the law does not specifiy that the physical format or encoding format, so it is at least in those countries legal to do a backup of a purshased DVD-Video movie to a harddrive and use that backup of the harddrive, just as it is legal to backup a Audio-CD you own to MP3 and use that on a portable MP3-player).

XBMC's DVDPlayer already come with libdvdcss which works like DeCSS and that has been proven in Norwegian court by Jon Lech Johansen (a.k.a. DVD Jon) to be legal. It is possible maybe to make libdvdcss into a shared library so that it can be used by both XBMC's DVDPlayer and a DVD-Video ripper (and preferably at the same time?)?

Huh

I would myself like any DVD-Video ripper in XBMC to remove both CSS encryption and Macrovision protection so that the backup copy could be burned to a DVD-R and used in any stand-alone DVD-player or DVD-player software. Removing both the CSS encryption and Macrovision protection would also be required to transcode/encode it to a other video codec format.

Both FFmpeg and libdvdcss are however back-listed by some Linux distrobutions (like for example OpenSUSE):
http://en.opensuse.org/Application_Black_List
They are not black-listed by Ubuntu though.

PS! Transcoding/encoding to a different codec format would be a seperate feature request, and I think if that was even implemented as well then it would probably be smartest to first rip the whole DVD-Viddeo movie 'as is' to the harddrive and then only after that is done start the transcoding conversion to a other video encoding format from there instead of doing it all on-the-fly.
malloc Wrote:Which part would be illegal? The distribution of binaries or the actual ripping? Any more illegal than distributing ffmpeg?

Removing the CSS decryption during ripping at least in Germany but I guess somewhere else also Wink
Providing the libdvdcss library is a gray zone I would say but as long nobody cares I'll provide it with the windows build.
Why would they ever want to burn the disc to another DVD? We are the media center! And why would they want to transcode? Once again, we are the media center!
Rainbow 
malloc Wrote:why would they want to transcode?
to save disk-space, transcoding (re-encode) a DVD-Video movie to Xvid or x264 saves a lot of disk-space, ...that is why I still download most movies in DivX or Xvid "DVDrip" format where one more is 700MB (or a little less) in size, 700MB is A LOT of movies on 1TB of disk-space which enables to one entires movie collection on-demand on the harddrive without having to delete anything.

Wink
transcode = encoding on the fly. this saves no disc space. it's popular for streaming unsupported formats to a lame media center (xbox 360)
encode = ripping your dvd to xvid

i could see ripping and encoding being useful features in a media center, but not burning or transcoding.
malloc Wrote:i could see ripping and encoding being useful features in a media center,
that is what I meant and "transcoding" means, transcoding by itself only means to convert a digitally encoded video/audio stream from one codec digital to another, (transcoding does not always mean that you stream unsupported formats to a lame media center over the network) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcode
Is it possible that while you are in xbmc, there is some kind of GUI, that will let you copy the DVD to the HD.

So we really never have to load windows... we can do everything from xbmc GUI
I think that a python script front end to Handbrake would be awesome. I suggested it in the python script forum... i didn't really get much in the way of replies.
The ability to rip a dvd directly from within XBMC is definitely of value. I build high end home theaters, and the hardware we use in our industry to record and play digital backups (i.e. Kaleidescape systems, and the Escient Vision VS200) prompt you when a new disc is loaded into the tray, "Would you like to copy this media to the hdd or play the media from the tray?"

This cuts out alot of steps for the enduser. I've nearly convinced my boss's to adopt xbmc driven media centers in our setups, and this functionality would put an xbmc driven xbox right in the mix with some $10,000 media servers.
I'd love to see this option as well...sometimes Id rather have the full DVD/menu/extras/5.1 etc than spend the time and effort in recoded to Xvix or something similar.

Harddrive space is pretty cheap these days!

Is there a feature request for this..?

Thanks
Rolf
Lightbulb 
This would be an amazing feature to have available directly from XBMC GUI!

Developers wanting to look into this should look at the source and/or interface for MythDVD for the MythTV fontend:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythDVD

Quote:MythDVD serves two roles:
  • Playback of DVDs and VCDs via the Internal player or optionally an external player.
  • "Ripping" of DVDs for storage on your Myth box. MythDVD can save the main title from a DVD as an MPEG-4 avi file and place it in your MythVideo collection. Various options are given to allow you to balance space vs quality.

DVD Rip Settings:

When the DVD drive is working as described above, setup the MythDVD ripping settings. These are located here in the default menu structure (0.18):

MythTV → Utilities/Setup → Setup → Media Settings → DVD Settings → Rip Settings

The default settings work fine for most situations. The location for the ripped DVDs might need to be adjusted, normally you want the path to be access from MythVideo for playback.

* Related article: Controlling MTD from a remote MythFrontend

Transcode Requirements

To transcode the DVD you need the MTD ( Myth Transcoding Daemon ) running. Transcoding provides the ability to compress the DVD further and keep near to original quality.

If you have your system set up to run mythfrontend upon boot, a good way to start mtd is to do so in the same place that you autostart other programs when the myth user logs in.

Usage:

You are now ready to RIP the DVD, from the MythTV main menu go to the Optical Disk menu ( Optical Disks -> Import DVD ). You should see a list of available VOBs to RIP from the DVD.

You should select the VOBs you wish to transcode, generally the largest VOB is the movie and the smaller ones are extras. It's a good idea to use the View feature to ensure you're ripping the audio and video track you really mean to and not, for instance, the director/cast commentary.

You can also adjust the quality, which will automatically setup the transcoding profile. Perfect Quality saves the MPEG-2 stream intact and is (by far) the fastest option, but also consumes the most disk space. The other options create smaller files, but use more CPU and provide less quality.

When you are ready to begin transcoding use the '0' key on the remote or the keyboard to start the transcoding process.

The import consists of several automated steps:

1. Copy the VOB video and Auido files to a temporary file (apprx 30Min). For "Pefect" it stops here.
2. First Pass Transcode of the Video and audio files (approx 1hour per hour of movie)
3. Second Pass Transcode to reduce the file size even further (approx 1 hour per hour of movie)

If you have specified the quality to be "good", it will call transcode to do the .vob -> .avi with Xvid or DivX.

The transcode time will depend on the speed of your processor (numbers given using AMD XP2800).

Once Transcode has finished you should find the new compressed movie in your Videos directory, which is visible via the Myth Video manger.

Rip/Transcode Options:

Select Select this Video file for transcoding. A DVD will typically include multiple video files, eg trailers, directors commentary etc.
Name The title of the DVD RIP
Quality Options available are dependant on the DVD inserted

* Perfect : Available for all Discs. Makes an exact copy of the MPEG file
* Excellent : 4:3 and 16:9 non-letterboxed Only. Transcode the MPEG file at a high bitrate. Resultant files size is approx 2GB
* Good : All Other . Transcode the MPEG file at average bitrate. Resultant file size is approx 800MB

Audio Track Select which of the Audio tracks available on the DVD you want encoded with the video
AC3 Audio Encode the AC3 Dolby digital surround audio track
Subtitles Encode the Subtitiles with the video
View Preview the Movie during Transcode

o
+ If you want to rip to an ISO file, you will only have to select one title. This is not clear from the ripper or the online docs, so I am adding this little tip in order to save others some time and hard drive space.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Rip DVD-Video to harddrive directly from XBMC (perhaps copy parts of DVD2Xbox code?)?0