• 92(current)
Release Kodi Matrix 19.0 HDR Windows API (merged)
(2021-06-17, 19:49)brazen1 Wrote: Your settings look decent for the most part.  Try changing Use full screen window to ON.  Render method change to DXVA. Don't whitelist anything.  Your panel should absolutely support 23.976 aka 24 Hz without producing a black screen.  You have a 4k chain and want to upscale everything. 

Leave Nvidia at RGB 60Hz 8 bit (so desktop usage doesn't lag) and when/if 23.976 video auto switches it will output 12 bit and dither down to 10 bit provided you indeed used the 12 bit setting once so Nvidia memory uses it.  When the player quits, matched refresh rate will return to 60Hz 8 bit.  Nvidia PhysX select your GT 1030 and also in your PC bios if offered.  Fwiw, a PC is an RGB device and you should leave that setting to avoid extra processing and color problems.  Your BD player is a YCbCr device which isn't in your PC chain so the Nvidia setting doesn't apply.  

If it doesn't auto match refresh rate, and it should, connect Nvidia HDMI direct to panel HDMI port for testing.  Be sure port is HDR enabled.  Use ANY 6' HDMI cable for test.  Perhaps in your cabling and/or AVR something is bottlenecked even though you tested a disc via BD ROM vs digital media via GPU.

Just a quickie

On this slighty is it better to upsclae 1080p - 4k by turning render method to dxva or by whitelisting resolutions?

Currently i am whitelisting resolutions i need (all 1080 and 4k res) and render method is set to auto...

Many thanks.
Whitelisting and render method are two unrelated things.  Whitelisting selects which resolutions will not be used.  Kodi will always use what your native global driver setting is.  For instance:  You have a 4k chain and use Windows.  You have 3840x2160 set as your native resolution in your GPU control panel.  When you start Kodi, it recognizes this and matches that resolution displaying its interface in glorious 4k 2160.  Anything you play will upscale to 4k 2160p using the render method you select.  Whitelisting a resolution is not going to look as sharp.  So, if you whitelist 1080, a video will render 1080 instead of upscaling to 2160.  Using a 4k chain, this wouldn't make much sense.  

Render method has 4 options.  DXVA uses GPU processing and it's driver logic.  Pixel shaders uses GPU processing and Kodi logic.  Software uses CPU processing.  Auto determines if a CPU or GPU is present for rendering.  GPU hardware processing produces better results than CPU software processing and less load on the chip allowing higher processing.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
(2021-06-18, 16:48)brazen1 Wrote: Whitelisting selects which resolutions will not be used
When a whitelist is set Kodi will only switch if the exact resolution and refresh rate is matched to a selected entry in the whitelist.
A big problem is that while windows and other apps see all refresh rates including custom ones and can switch to them, Kodi cant detect custom refresh rates.
I'm currently using the DSPlayer 17.6 to get HDR, but because it's getting old, I would prefer to use 19.x. So I have tried it for a while, and it works well, but I have one nitpick.

The switching from SDR to HDR seems really slow in Matrix. Do you guys have the same?

When DSPlayer switches from SDR to HDR, it's more or less seamless and within a second my LG OLED switches to HDR without losing the picture on screen. But with Matrix, the TV loses connection (and shows the 'No video input' screen for a few seconds), and it takes a while to return to Kodi. Then HDR does function well, but the delay is quite annoying. The same happens when you return from a video to the GUI in SDR.

So, yes, I know it's a minor annoyance, but still something I'd like to be able to solve.

Is there any way to speed up the switch to HDR? (Or am I the only one with this phenomenon?)

Thanks Smile
(2021-09-11, 14:40)willemd Wrote: Is there any way to speed up the switch to HDR? (Or am I the only one with this phenomenon?)
What model of LG OLED are you using? I use DSPlayer but I have a working installation of Matrix, so I could test the difference for you.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
Delay seems normal? I have an LG OLED as well and whiile it takes a few secs to switch from SDR to HDR, it's fine imo.
Hi,

I need help with two problems...1st one is stuttering every 10 sec or so and the 2nd one is (driver auto-switch 10 or 12 bit when is output HDR10 signal) not happening. 

Regarding 1st one...my setup is KODI on PC with 1080Ti>>>Denon AVR 2700>>>LG CX...1st cable PC to AVR is 18Gbit/s certified and 2nd AVR to LG is 48 Gbit/s cable eARC connection.
Setup is done like Jogal recommended in #1 post.Stuttering is only happening when "Allow hardware acceleration DXVA2 = ON". Thing is when I put dxva2 to off sometimes HDR picture is very dark ( PC restart helps)
Win 10 on this machine have been recently installed (5 6 months) with clean Nvidia drivers.

The second problem is not so much a problem, I can manulay set graphics control panel to YCbCr 4:4:4, 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 10/12 bits 30/60 Hz  and everything is fine, it's just strange why auto-switch is not working.

If anyone has good advice I would be very grateful...thnx!
I did search the thread but couldn't find much. Does anyone here have an 8k TV and got Kodi working okay with HDR content? I've played with the settings a lot and can't seem to get HDR passthrough working properly. Every time I have settings as recommended in post 1 (except the Kodi/Nvidia resolution is actually set to 7680x4320p native) HDR switching does work but I'm ending up with 4320p resolution and the video and Kodi interface is in the top left corner of the screen (4k square). It's like it won't scale the interface to fit the whole screen. No matter what I try I can't get it working properly. I'm currently running Kodi with HDR turned off sadly. Any suggestions? I can post my exact settings if needed. Tv is a Samsung 75" QN900 Windows 10 RTX3080
Ive not got an 8K TV but have had something similar with the scaling and my 4K TV. (I only got 1/4 of the screen)

Use full screen window = OFF (real full screen) in my case it needs to be ON for scaling to work correctly.

Just a thought...
Yes absolutely thank you I just realized that was the problem. After setting Fullscreen window to off I'm getting no signal on 4k24p videos still. 4k60p videos are working fine with HDR on. More tinkering to do I think

Edit: After tinkering with the whitelist and making sure Kodi is only using resolutions and refresh rates that I see in the graphics control panel, i think I'm in business now on the 8k TV finally!
(2021-09-17, 07:46)taba Wrote: Thing is when I put dxva2 to off sometimes HDR picture is very dark ( PC restart helps)

Try this:
Windows Control Panel -> Color Management -> on the "All Profiles" tab -> at the bottom, under "ICC Profiles", remove any custom profiles listed. (leave the "system default" profile).

This fixed the dark/over-saturated HDR problem for me.

EDIT: Never mind...... the problem came back.

EDIT2:  Upgrading to Windows 11 fixed the problem.
  • 92(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Matrix 19.0 HDR Windows API (merged)2