Option to play "Forced Subtitles" support in XBMC? Movies with only partial subtitles
Question 
I'm not sure how to phrase this... which definitely makes it hard to search for.

In some english movies there are foreign language scenes that have subtitles. XBMC (the dvdplayer I guess) doesn't automatically turn the subtitles on for those scenes like a normal dvd player would.

It happens in quite a few movies. Star Wars for example. I have to turn on subtitles for the entire movie when I notice it, which sucks. Eastern Promises (which wasn't that great of a movie) had a mix. So there would be english speaking, english subtitles for russian audio, and sometimes russian audio with subtitles that said [speaking russian].
I believe that the term is "forced subtitles", see:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f78/forced-subtitles-71040/
http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/forcedsubs.htm
http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/mpg/dvdsubs.htm

...and no, I do not think XBMC's DVDPlayer support having only forced subtitles enabled so moving this to the feature suggestions forum.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Hey everyone,

I would like to know if anyone has a solution or thought about the issue of "forced subtitles". Obvously for movies which everyone has memorised, the lack of seeing the forced subtitles is not a big deal.

Personally though, I have given up my set-top DVD player. As such when viewing new movies, the lack of forced subtitles is a bit of a loss.

I currently rip all of my movies with DVDDecryptor to ISO. For my needs this is the least time consuming than transcoding.

Comments on my idea for solution: I would like to skim out the subtitles which are tagged as forced. I would then create a .srt file. My only question is that since my ISO's have subtitles. Will .srt files be used and how would I select.

My real goal is to creat a viable solution which is easy for my wife to work with.

Another idea was to use DVDShrink to remove all subtitles. I would the handled subtitles with .srt files.

A better solution would be inclusion of DVDplayer supporting "forced subtitles". What skills would be needed? As I am will to put the time in. However since I have not done any application programming for XBMC, I am a little overwhelmed.

Thanks and later.
Some transcoding programs support forced subs. They pick out the part that needs to show and hardcode that into the film leaving the rest of the subtitles out. Autogk does this and so does Handbrake. I see you have just been ripping straight Iso's so you are obviously not worried about movie size and concerned more with quality, correct? I use Autogk set to 100% quality, Keep the DTS/AC3 sound and get files at the MOST 2.5gb. They looked good with Autogk, almost dvd quality. I switched to Handbrake and I am encoding to H.264/mkv with AC3 sound and 0 perceptible loss of quality and again my movies are less than 2.5gb. Yeah, it takes a while to encode but you just set it to go and walk away so it doesn't really consume any of your free time. Hope that helps. Cheers.
Grast Wrote:solution would be inclusion of DVDplayer supporting "forced subtitles". What skills would be needed? As I am will to put the time in. However since I have not done any application programming for XBMC, I am a little overwhelmed.
Maybe elupus can point you to the specific source code files but there is somethings that should also help:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Appendix_D:_...ment_Notes
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=DVDPlayer

In any case, please submit a new feature request ticket to trac for tracking purposes: http://trac.xbmc.org
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=What_is_XBMC...to_XBMC.3F
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=What_is_XBMC...by_XBMC.3F

Good luck!
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Rand Al Thor,

Thank-you for the suggestion of handbrake. I have not looked at that program. In the past, I was cluging together my DVD rips. If I can get the level of quality from ripping. I would enjoy the lower harddrive space.

Thanks.
Grast Wrote:Rand Al Thor,

Thank-you for the suggestion of handbrake. I have not looked at that program. In the past, I was cluging together my DVD rips. If I can get the level of quality from ripping. I would enjoy the lower harddrive space.

Thanks.

Let me know what you think and what sort of settings you are using. I have found some settings that I think have 0 perceptible loss of quality but I would like some input from others. Perhaps they could use a little tweaking. The ONLY issue I have had with handbrake is that every once in a while it will produce an encode that stutters horribly. On their forums the claim that this is the players fault and not handbrakes. It stutters on xbmc and wmp..... so I'm thinking it is a handbrake issue.
In both the Camelot stable load of XBMS as well as the latest 26344 build for Win32 I am experiencing the following issue on multiple Windows machines running XBMC;

I have a large library of ISO rips, in quite a few of these titles when XBMC plays the title (either over the network or on local attached storage) I am getting automatic forced subtitles.

From searching the forums I see a variety of ISO/DVD subtitle related bugs discovered and squashed over the past year but I see no mention of this behavior currently.

It is very inconvenient to have to navigate to the DVD root menu and force the subtitles off on each title each time it is selected.

Is anyone aware of this problem and is there any kind of workaround? Even if I could discover how to bind a key on the keyboard to quickly turn the subtitles off that would be handy until this bug/issue is addressed.

Any input or advice welcome, this is really sort of the deal breaker right now for me migrating my iso collection onto XBMC.
Okay, fixed it myself. Audio options during playback and then uncheck the box (that's apparently checked by default for some reason) for subtitles and then check "save settings for all titles".

I had seen a previous thread that indicated that this would not work for iso images as they were virtual discs, but it appears to have done the trick.
Wink 
voip-ninja Wrote:Okay, fixed it myself. Audio options during playback and then uncheck the box (that's apparently checked by default for some reason) for subtitles and then check "save settings for all titles".

I had seen a previous thread that indicated that this would not work for iso images as they were virtual discs, but it appears to have done the trick.

I love ya man, I had the same issue, now I know how to resolve it!
Things are working out and I've resolved most issues (or know why I have them). This one was a real headache though, could not find the answer.

I do have a couple of final ISO issues though, one of which is occasional stuttering of the audio on the FBI warning screens, or "content has been modified to fit your screen" which stutters out for a few seconds before the feature starts.

If someone knows the answer to that one I'll really be set up!
Question 
It would be nice to turn on only "forced" subtitles.

Seems its tough to edit PGS subtitles. Most tools extract them as .sup files which do not seem to be supported.
Does XBMC still not support "forced subtitles" or is it only not working for me?
Nope it still doesnt work or isnt implemented. Unless Im mistaken and there is some feature or setting you need to enable.

I watched Dsitrict 9 on DVD the other day and it was the same.
Question 
I have some .mkv files of BD rips with forced subs included. Forced flag is set and the forced subs do show up when playing the title back in other software players such as VLC for Windows.

However, in XBMC the forced subs do not show up unless the "display subs" button in the audio properties is selected.

You should not need to select subtitles button for "forced" subtitles to automatically display.

Is this a known bug with XBMC?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Option to play "Forced Subtitles" support in XBMC? Movies with only partial subtitles1