Mapping Drive - Windows or Kodi?
Are there any benefits to mapping a network drive directly in Windows on my Media Player PC so I can add it as a local drive in Kodi, instead of adding it as a network drive in Kodi?
That depends how you map it. If you assign a drive letter, you can use that drive letter in Kodi.
i.e. from an elevated command prompt: net use DRIVE: PATH
such as:
net use s: \\Kodi\movies  /persistent:Yes

Of course drive s: should not already be assigned

The persistent option will allow to keep your mapped drives after a reboot
If you simply map a path without a drive letter( as you would using a shortcut) , there  is no benefit really since you do not shorten the path.

BTW: To delete a mapped drive:
from an elevated command prompt: net use s: /delete
(2019-12-27, 16:12)OTinley Wrote: That depends how you map it. If you assign a drive letter, you can use that drive letter in Kodi.
i.e. from an elevated command prompt: net use DRIVE: PATH
such as:
net use s: \\Kodi\movies  /persistent:Yes

Of course drive s: should not already be assigned

The persistent option will allow to keep your mapped drives after a reboot
If you simply map a path without a drive letter( as you would using a shortcut) , there  is no benefit really since you do not shorten the path.

BTW: To delete a mapped drive:
from an elevated command prompt: net use s: /delete
Would you say there is no difference in performance between mapping a network drive/network location in Windows, then adding movies and tv shows in Kodi as if they were local content compared to just adding an NFS/SMB share in Kodi directly from my server? Thanks in advance.
There is no difference. But i would always prefer a direct network location with using the ip in your source settings.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mapping Drive - Windows or Kodi?0