• 4(current)
Apple's official iPhone Remote App with XBMC?
Lightbulb 
narcan Wrote:
Rand Al Thor Wrote:WOW! That is absolutely amazing! Great work man. The only thing I can suggest would be thumb caching if possible to cut down on thumbnail load time. Great work.
Yeah, though the load time is actually a bit deceiving. There is a intentionally introduced delay at the moment of around 500ms. This is just to give the ipod touch some breathing space though I should be able to change this to a lower value. Without a pause I found that it could make the UI less responsive when it was pulling down large images (even though it's doing that in a separate thread).
Maybe you could submit a new feature request ticket to trac and ask support for the XBMC 'backend' (WebServer) for an optional downscaling of the thumbnail before passing them along to the iPhone, ...maybe it could be added though a parameter with a setting in the API to set the maximum of pixels that your client want to receive.

Just an idea Big Grin
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Do I detect an Aussie accent in the video?

Looks fantastic.

Gamester17's suggestion is a very good one. With the work you have done already I'm sure there will be enough momentum to add those features to the API.
@narcan, maybe you should team up with s4v4g3 if you are willing to open source your app?
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=31157

Huh
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
@ultrabrutal

No not currently. Thumbs are hashed off the path and/or file. I think there would just have to be an option in the settings to clear the cache if you happen to change the thumbs.

@Gamester:

Yeah good idea. The downscaling is something I had been thinking of as it could potentially send some pretty large images down.

I'll submit a ticket.

Regarding open source I've made the decision not to open source it at this point. I was torn as to which way to go, but have chosen to provide it on the app store for a small amount ($3 - $4). I'd like to try and recoup part of the development costs (developer program etc)
but what I will be doing is donating at least 10% back to XBMC. Hope this sounds fair but I'm also open to other ideas.

@michal

Yep, from Melbourne, Australia!

Anyway, thanks again all for the comments and suggestions. I've submitted the app to the store, so it's just a waiting game now I guess. Once this initial release is out I'll then focus on these other feature suggestions.
How long before Apple signs the application so it can be bought?
Will updates cost more or are they included in the $3-4 you want?

What's next? The cache? New icons which was linked in an ealier post?
ultrabrutal Wrote:How long before Apple signs the application so it can be bought?
Will updates cost more or are they included in the $3-4 you want?

What's next? The cache? New icons which was linked in an ealier post?

No idea how long Sad It was submitted on the 26th.

I won't be charging for upgrades.

Those screen shots are pretty out of date now, I've got new icons in place.

As far as changes, here's a short term roadmap:

1. Fix reported bugs
2. Caching / Optimizations

1. Zooming in / out of views
2. Search view
3. Some more media views

1. Coverflow
Smile 
narcan Wrote:Regarding open source I've made the decision not to open source it at this point. I was torn as to which way to go, but have chosen to provide it on the app store for a small amount ($3 - $4).
Too bad Sad ...you of course know that you could open source it and still sell it on Apple iPhone App Store? Huh

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html
Quote:Many people believe that the spirit of the GNU project is that you should not charge money for distributing copies of software, or that you should charge as little as possible — just enough to cover the cost.

Actually we encourage people who redistribute free software to charge as much as they wish or can. If this seems surprising to you, please read on.

The word “free” has two legitimate general meanings; it can refer either to freedom or to price. When we speak of “free software”, we're talking about freedom, not price. (Think of “free speech”, not “free beer”.) Specifically, it means that a user is free to run the program, change the program, and redistribute the program with or without changes.

Free programs are sometimes distributed gratis, and sometimes for a substantial price. Often the same program is available in both ways from different places. The program is free regardless of the price, because users have freedom in using it.

Non-free programs are usually sold for a high price, but sometimes a store will give you a copy at no charge. That doesn't make it free software, though. Price or no price, the program is non-free because users don't have freedom.

Since free software is not a matter of price, a low price isn't more free, or closer to free. So if you are redistributing copies of free software, you might as well charge a substantial fee and make some money. Redistributing free software is a good and legitimate activity; if you do it, you might as well make a profit from it.

Free software is a community project, and everyone who depends on it ought to look for ways to contribute to building the community. For a distributor, the way to do this is to give a part of the profit to the Free Software Foundation or some other free software development project. By funding development, you can advance the world of free software.

Distributing free software is an opportunity to raise funds for development. Don't waste it!

In order to contribute funds, you need to have some extra. If you charge too low a fee, you won't have anything to spare to support development.
narcan Wrote:No idea how long Sad It was submitted on the 26th.

I won't be charging for upgrades.

Those screen shots are pretty out of date now, I've got new icons in place.

As far as changes, here's a short term roadmap:

1. Fix reported bugs
2. Caching / Optimizations

1. Zooming in / out of views
2. Search view
3. Some more media views

1. Coverflow

This is all wonderful news! Thanks again for all of your hard work and effort. How about some more screenshots until we can actually get our hands on the app? Lastly, I would once again like to ask for at least some skinability in a future release. Cheers.
This is definitely an impressive-looking app, and I look forward to using it, even though I do plan to continue in the development of my open-source version.
@narcan

Have you had a look at the MyMote app on the itunes store? it is a free mythtv remote. once the integrated pvr/epg is into xbmc this might a great addition. Check it out and let me know what you think.

Edit:

http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/2008/07/23/m...-released/

this gives a video of how mymote works, it also has a video for mythtv for iphone. It would be great to see the functionality of all these programs brought to xbmc. For example once the pvr/epg integration is done, have the ability to scedule recording, browse shows, upcoming schedule etc. Also, have an option in xbmc's epg to convert to iphone/ipod friendly formats of certain shows after recording for watching later through the xbmc remote. I might post something in the epg thread and see what the dev thinks of the idea. All this would functionality would be great in addition to the wonderful stuff you have already done. Cheers.
Digg it: http://digg.com/apple/iPhone_Remote_for_...nter_video
very very cool btw

any chance of a plex branded version?

i have been playing with the iphone sdk and would be happy to help
narcan Wrote:No idea how long Sad It was submitted on the 26th.

For God's sake, Apple, how long does it take to review and approve an application?
msaspence Wrote:very very cool btw

any chance of a plex branded version?

i have been playing with the iphone sdk and would be happy to help

My guess is that this runs through the http api. Should be available on Plex too since they're the same product. Probably a matter of entering your Plex IP/port to get it working. Or did you mean you wanted the XBMC logos replaced by Plex logos?
Rand Al Thor Wrote:@narcan

Have you had a look at the MyMote app on the itunes store? it is a free mythtv remote. once the integrated pvr/epg is into xbmc this might a great addition. Check it out and let me know what you think.

Certainly once XBMC implements the PVR guide feature this would be something I'd want to implement.

Quote:For God's sake, Apple, how long does it take to review and approve an application?
Too long. I'm still waiting.
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Apple's official iPhone Remote App with XBMC?1