Solved AMD VAAPI regression for Leia 18.5
That being said: the users of amd drivers actually running interlaced content is a huge minority and getting less and less. Sure, still a bug - but they priorize new chips, power-management, performance figures for games, etc.

I made the experience in the past: Well written bug report, a bit of a helping hand, e.g. kernel compiling, test runs, etc. and their driver team was always polite, nice and fast - and they are the same guys still Smile
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2020-02-08, 22:11)fritsch Wrote: That being said: the users of amd drivers actually running interlaced content is a huge minority and getting less and less. Sure, still a bug - but they priorize new chips, power-management, performance figures for games, etc.
Hum not right here.
Imagine DVB-T broadcast and our 27 FTA channels. No change before 2024.

You can say : same channels over broadband (people who have hi speed internet)

Yes but not same quality..

Over the net 720 p max, and 1/3 channels via DRM
Over DVB-T 1080i , can receive via simple Usb DVB-T stick and Tvheadend front end
I talked about a percentage of users. I did not talk about you - as a single user compared to all the other AMD users.

And yes, it's fully clear to me that DVB-C, DVB-C, etc. up to 1080i is still a use case for a lot of people out there. To be honest: if you rely on deinterlacing with very good quality AMD on Linux was never "the" choice as their shader based MADI (we were very happy to get it) is not as good from quality POV if compared to Intel starting from Haswell and later on. These provide MCDI. Wisely decide what HW to buy depending on your real use-cases. Investing in an AMD system when your primary use-case is 1080i livetv is a choice with limitations.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
@  fritsch
Some news:
I've just tested Kodi 19 alpha 2020 02 09 on mint 19.3 live on this same computer , without environment variable  .. and it works !
So the bug is concentrated on kodi 18.5 (haven't test 18.1 and others 18.x versions)
I will post photos on bug tracker
This is not news ... 18.5 on Mint 19.3 will work as well ...

The problem is Mesa ... and Mint 19.3 ships an older version.
And btw. your screenshots don't help at all - but the system configuration will. Therefore posting screenshots without a Debug Log, which shows kernel + mesa + drivers does not help much.
Shame on me …
You're right.
On usb live all versions of kodi are working, 17.6 18.5 and 19 alpha.
The main difference in mesa driver , 19 on usb live and 20 on hard disk 18.5 installed Kodi.
First step for me is to revert to 19 for mesa ans installed Mint.
I revert Mesa to 19 with:
sudo ppa-purge -d bionic ppa:oibaf/graphics-drivers

But have still half screen pictures with bob on installed disk:
VDPAU - bob with environment variable, and VAAPI - bob without variable

New regression, no more choice for normal bob …

I have look at mesa exact version:
installed
inxi -G
Graphics:  Device-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Oland [Radeon HD 8570 / R7 240/340 OEM] driver: radeon
           v: kernel
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.6 driver: ati,radeon unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa
           resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
           OpenGL: renderer: AMD OLAND (DRM 2.50.0 4.15.0-72-generic LLVM 9.0.0) v: 4.5 Mesa 19.2.8
live
inxi -G
Graphics:  Device-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Oland [Radeon HD 8570 / R7 240/340 OEM] driver: radeon
           v: kernel
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.4 driver: ati,radeon unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa
           resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
           OpenGL: renderer: AMD OLAND (DRM 2.50.0 5.0.0-32-generic LLVM 8.0.0) v: 4.5 Mesa 19.0.8

I don't know how to retrieve Mesa 19.0.8...
Other difference: the kernel
On live I'm on 5.0 branch and on installed I'm on LTS branch 4.0.15.72   74 and 76 (all 3 same result)
I'm nor sure kernel 5 bring something new ? 
Cant test on installed Os directly because for that i have to recompile some dvb drivers ...get kernel source etc
I will try a older mint V 19.2 i think is same LTS kernel
> New regression, no more choice for normal bob …

That's NOT a regression, but a correct behavior, actually having "normal bob" in video options IS the regression.
AMD drivers do not support copying frames back to memory, enabling "normal bob" or "normal deinterlace" while playing an interlaced video with amd vaapi actually crashed Kodi.
"normal bob" shouldn't be available for amd vaapi.
Ok understand.
Test now result with usb stick and mint 19.2 
Kernel is 4.15.0-54
With original mesa (19.0.2) VAAPI - bob  is fine.
I've upgraded (with packet manager) only mesa to 19.2.8  and bingo VAAPI - bob = half screen picture
So the frontier between working and non working mesa driver is between 19.0.28 and 19.2.8.
So i have to revert mesa to before 19.2.8 if i can.
What a mess !!!
Mint is based on ubuntu's drivers
https://www.ubuntuupdates.org/package/co...an-drivers
Driver is growing from 19.0.8 to 19.2.1 to 19.2.8
Let's continue the technical discussion in the GitHub issue

@FernetMenta thanks for the pointers. It seems the AMD interlaced/progressive memory layout magic hits again.
@yol if you have any ideas/patches I can quickly patch, build and test, this applies to anything really: kernel, mesa, Kodi, libva, whatever you need.
While I don't have nor care about interlaced content I think if we could get this rolling in the right direction it would benefit everyone in the long run.
@asavah AMD seems to be working on a fix, so let's wait for a bit longer
@ YOL thanks for the update.
For persons who have the problem on Ubuntu based distributions, i'll find the way to revert the driver to working mesa 19.0.8:
Go on https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mes...d/17324194
download mesa-va-drivers_19.0.8-0ubuntu0~18.04.1_amd64.deb (2.1 MiB)  under built files
then do in terminal: sudo dpkg -i mesa-va-drivers_19.0.8-0ubuntu0~18.04.1_amd64.deb
Then block futures updates for mesa until it is solved by AMD
et voila

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AMD VAAPI regression for Leia 18.50