invalid include when installing on different OS
This might not really be a kodi question, but I thought I'd start here.   I've been working on a skin, using windows while working out everything.   Now that I've installed it on Libreelec (raspberry pi) the skin is not functional and the log is full of invalid include warnings.  I checked all the linefeeds and file encoding to see if I had created something that would cause *nix to not read the includes.xml, but did not find anything obvious.

If anyone is curious to look at the files - https://github.com/kb3-projects/hammer-nail

Is there something unique about libreelec that I am missing?

Thanks.
It might be useful to see the actual log file.  Includes can be invalid (I think anyway) for two reasons.  First, the XML isn't valid.  Second, the file doesn't exist (or can't be read).  For the first you might try finding an online XML validator and pasting the problem files into that.  For the second, you might check the permissions on the files/folders on the Libreelec machine.
also, on linux, filenames are case-sensitive. on windows they're not.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
I'll post a log file later - don't have access to the pi at the moment.

Case sensitivity is one thing I already chased down on the filenames.   Does the case sensitivity apply to the include names also -

xml:
    <include name="StandardBackground">
and then needs to called as
xml:
<include>StandardBackground</include>
yup, include names are case-sensitive as well.

i briefly tested your skin and at least 1 file had incorrect casing. the name of the main includes file must be includes.xml and not Includes.xml.
you can relatively easy find and fix such issues by looking at the errors/warnings in the Debug Log.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
i found 1 where i had 1 <?XML WORKING on windows  but would not work on android untill i changed it to <?xml version="1.0"
(2020-02-28, 00:02)ronie Wrote: yup, include names are case-sensitive as well.

i briefly tested your skin and at least 1 file had incorrect casing. the name of the main includes file must be includes.xml and not Includes.xml.
you can relatively easy find and fix such issues by looking at the errors/warnings in the Debug Log.
I literally just went through my log file before posting it and picked up on the same thing.  Had this in the log -

INFO: Error loading include file /storage/.kodi/addons/skin.hammernail/includes.xml: Failed to open file

I had generally capitalized all my filenames, so I changed Includes.xml to includes.xml and everything is generally working.  Have some cleanup on texture file names to do.  

But I'm a little puzzled by this.    When I look at the estuary skin on my system and on github it's capitalized - Includes.xml, so that why I initially thought my capitalization was correct.  Is this just something that works itself out during installation?
good question. very good question...
i'm as puzzled as you are at this moment :-)
ok, so filename casing DOES matter EXCEPT for the includes.xml file.

i had a closer look at it this time and the exact error in the log is this:
2020-02-28 00:57:55.652 T:13191    INFO: Loading skin includes from /home/ronie/.kodi/addons/skin.hammernail/includes.xml
after staring at that line for a few minutes i spotted it is looking for the includes file in the root folder of the skin, instead of the 720p folder.

this problem is caused by an error in your addon.xml file.
you do need to define the default xml folder of your skin there, like so:
<res width="1280" height="720" aspect="16:9" folder="720p" default="true"/>

please don't ask me why this wasn't a problem when you tested it in Windows, as i really don't know :-)
(2020-02-28, 02:04)ronie Wrote: please don't ask me why this wasn't a problem when you tested it in Windows, as i really don't know :-)

And I also won't ask why changing the capitalization of includes.xml fixed it.   I'm just glad it's working.  But I do know that a blind squirrel will find a nut once in a while. . .

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
invalid include when installing on different OS0