Developing an Amazon Movie Scraper
C-Quel Wrote:Neither does iMDB

Which is probably why spiff disabled it and made themoviedb.org default scraper
*bangs his head in disbelief*
ultrabrutal Wrote:Which is probably why spiff disabled it and made themoviedb.org default scraper

which should mean we're all need to create an account on themoviedb and tvdb and support them by adding our movies to that databases and finally get rid of those ***** (censored) commercial db-owners that create completely nonsense rules like deleting info after 3 months.. (when will the day come site owners treat us to remove our bookmarks to their sites after some time period? sick..)
cheers,azido :;):
azido Wrote:which should mean we're all need to create an account on themoviedb and tvdb and support them by adding our movies to that databases and finally get rid of those ***** (censored) commercial db-owners that create completely nonsense rules like deleting info after 3 months.. (when will the day come site owners treat us to remove our bookmarks to their sites after some time period? sick..)

I totally agree, but I also understand their rules and ofcourse they must be respected. I have already created an account and started to contribute...
ultrabrutal, would you be so kind as to inform plex http://forums.plexapp.com/ also inform them they should apply for their own appid and key for weather.com if they haven't yet. that's weather.coms tos.

i'm sure they would appreciate it.
For python coding questions first see http://mirrors.xbmc.org/docs/python-docs/
nuka, no idea what you are talking about
ultrabrutal Wrote:I totally agree, but I also understand their rules and ofcourse they must be respected. I have already created an account and started to contribute...

sure, i might have been overreacting a bit with my sarcasm. it's just that in general i have an anger against rules that doesn't make any other sense then just to treat people - which in my opinion this 3 months-rule of amazon is. it's like your grandma is no longer allowed to read fairytales to you, you have to read them personally - and IF she does, she has to forget what she was reading in a certain amount of time.. Wink

anyway, it's up to them to define their rules and same goes for imdb. i wonder if they ever had those eggbots on efnet on target which also parse imdb informations to irc-channels ~cough~

i've contributed a lot lately to tvdb.org and of course i will add my movies to themoviedb.org if they don't exist (or the german descriptions are missing yet). good to see a private alternative here.
"rules are ment to be broken"

"it's better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission"

"it's not a crime unless someone finds out"

I hate double standards and people acting like kids
ultrabrutal Wrote:I hate double standards and people acting like kids

am i?

having an opinion is not acting like a kid Rolleyes
I'm not talking about you here Smile More the general reaction...

How IMDB chooses to react to violations we do not know. First they need to know there is a violation, secondly if they want to persuit it
Hey jelockwood
I see your scraper, and i have a personnal question.
I've got some DVD Music, do you think it's possible that your scraper can be used for the "musicvideos" db. Because with your scraper, i will have some information on my DVD but i think it will be pretty cool to find my DVD in Video Clip than in movie section.
Thank you for your help.
XavHorneT Wrote:Hey jelockwood
I see your scraper, and i have a personnal question.
I've got some DVD Music, do you think it's possible that your scraper can be used for the "musicvideos" db. Because with your scraper, i will have some information on my DVD but i think it will be pretty cool to find my DVD in Video Clip than in movie section.
Thank you for your help.

There are three main sections to XBMC - Movies, TV, and Music. Audio CDs (obviously) go in Music, but DVDs (of music) would not. DVDs of Music might themselves be split in to two sub-categories, films like "Ray" (about Ray Charles), or "Walk the Line" (about Johnny Cash) which should be considered as movies and therefore put in the movies section. However, DVDs containing music videos could be ripped in to individual videos and you could then let XBMC treat them as normal music videos rather than DVDs. (For example I plan to do this for a Red Hot Chilli Peppers DVD.)

In answer to your query, my scrapers as they currently stand will scrape music films like "Ray" or "Walk the Line", and should also do similar ones like the Rolling Stones "Shine a Light", and probably live performances. My scrapers do not currently do Audio CDs (even though these are listed on Amazon), but it looks like it would be fairly easy to modify the scrapers to create new (separate) versions specifically for that. My scrapers do not do music videos, I have not looked at this at all so I cannot yet comment on how difficult this would be.

I have been working on a project to rip (a lot) of DVDs on to a NAS for a friend, and have nearly finished that, I then will be doing the Audio CDs, and if (like for films) I find that there are titles missed by the default music scraper then I might get round to doing an Amazon version. However as XBMC now has an iTunes plugin I am also hoping that if all the information is already available via iTunes then this might not be necessary.
Tank you for all your explains, i just ask, in case, you have to this type of evolution in mind.
It's was just because i have some DVD music (like Red Hot Chili Peppers - Live at Slane Castle), and i was thinking that it will be good to have some more informations and poster from amazon.
But, I understand that will be a hard work to make this, that why i prefer to ask you.
Thank you again.
Ultrabrutal, I dislike you and it is my opinion that everyone else does, too!
malloc, nice one Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Developing an Amazon Movie Scraper1