[PATCH] Live Filter (Live Search) - Build for Win32 Users to test + comment on.
If you try the above executable, it does work on keyboards, albeit only emulating the remote. I mapped the number keys on the keyboard (ones across the top, not the numeric keypad) to the same actions as the remote, so those without a remote on their windows box can try it out and see what they think.

We need people testing it out to see their opinions. I'll chat with Jezz_X about hooking up some skinning mechanism for the real keyboard input later today.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I got keyboard searching working so it's coming along.

As for the name I don't really care what it's called for some reason I just started calling it Live Filtering. The technology would be called (for the numeric input) predictive text.
Question 
bripeace Wrote:As for the name I don't really care what it's called for some reason I just started calling it Live Filtering. The technology would be called (for the numeric input) predictive text.
Cool, so maybe "Predictive filter" or "Predictive search" then? Huh
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
It's exactly the same functionality as the current Filter button, with a (much) improved UI.

No need for fancy names unless you wanna put it on a set of release notes. In this case "On the fly filtering" or something similar works for me. The predictive part only applies to input devices incapable of directly inputting text.

Cheers,
Jonathan

this is very cool... any chance there could be a text input bar across the top of the container? navigate to it, and just start entering text to have the display filtered.
That's the idea for keyboard input, yes. It doesn't work so well for remote input, as you're actually typing numbers and not letters.

Cheers,
Jonathan

but it could work similarly for the remote where "1" cycles between A,B,C like in the virtual keyboard. and then you dont need the special keymapping.
kraqh3d Wrote:but it could work similarly for the remote where "1" cycles between A,B,C like in the virtual keyboard. and then you dont need the special keymapping.

The whole point of this is to reduce the amount of of clicking and scrolling nad typing to get to things. The trade off of special key mapping is certainly worth the ease of use and speed at which this works. And the gains can be significant. In my example when searching for monorail it's 4 clicks of 6, with multi tap it's 6 (wait) 666 (wait) 66 (wait) 666 just type 'mono'. so 5 extra pushes of 6 and the waits in between since all the letters are on the same key.
the loss of 10 buttons on the remote is quite significant. i would personally prefer to navigate to the edit control and type in there using the remote. but i do see where you are coming from. maybe it can be some option which disables the keymapping and defaults it into direct text entry.
kraqh3d Wrote:the loss of 10 buttons on the remote is quite significant. i would personally prefer to navigate to the edit control and type in there using the remote. but i do see where you are coming from. maybe it can be some option which disables the keymapping and defaults it into direct text entry.

Well it would be quite easy to make a setting to turn it on off for those who want it. Or we can make some button that toggles it like the Keyboard version. The regular searching still works btw (and you even getting highlighting now oohh ahh!), and you'd actually have to map your remote keys in to get it to work unless we make it default behavior. For now you only lose from the default 3, 6 and 0 which are VolUp/VolDown/Delete.
IMHO yes the loss of 10 buttons are significant but on the other hand it is not very intuitive of us to use the numeric buttons in XBMC for other things than numbers entering (or in this case predictive search which loads of people in our target audience use to send SMS text-messages on mobile phone have learned anyway), so I think that this is a worthy sacrifice.
its not intuitive, but its been defacto standard for a while. then there's the "oh shit" factor when you press one of the keys by accident. i unfortunately have to deal with very non-technical users of xbmc. no doubt, i would get a call along these lines: "i dont know what i did, but i can't see all my movies anymore. and some of the text is red now."

i don't mind keeping a custom keymap (especially now that the custom keymap overlays the default one), but there needs to be a way to unmap a default action. i dont believe i would be able to just leave them blank like this:

<one></one>
<two></two>
etc.

but if i can, that's good enough for me.
kraqh3d Wrote:its not intuitive, but its been defacto standard for a while. then there's the "oh shit" factor when you press one of the keys by accident. i unfortunately have to deal with very non-technical users of xbmc. no doubt, i would get a call along these lines: "i dont know what i did, but i can't see all my movies anymore. and some of the text is red now."

i don't mind keeping a custom keymap (especially now that the custom keymap overlays the default one), but there needs to be a way to unmap a default action. i dont believe i would be able to just leave them blank like this:

<one></one>
<two></two>
etc.

but if i can, that's good enough for me.

What i've done is added a new section to the keymap file (currently livefilter) and when the ToggleFilter button is hit (say tab) it overlays any buttons for live filter where there are conflicts. Then when live filter is turned off it goes back to normal. So for me what I do is i hit tab it goes into live filter mode and backspace changes from going to the previous window (or whatever it normally does) and instead acts as backspace.

For the remote it could work the same exact way. You could hit some button and then the 1-0 act as Remote_1-Remote_0 and back backspaces and so on.Then when you hit your toggle button again i 3/6 act as VolUp/VolDown again. That way there is a very clear intention to actually use the feature.
Also even in the remotes current form you have to specifically map remote0-1 in the right sections for it to work. Which means making the choice to get rid of VolUp etc.
oh ok i misunderstood how it worked. you first need to switch into text entry mode. that's ok. i just overwrote my build folder with the sample from jmarshall. and i guess that's why i couldn't get true "live" filtering. i had to click on the filter button. but i saw the red highlighting and saw the listing changing in the background while typing. (honestly, i never use the filter button and assumed the listing changing at keypress was the "live" bit.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[PATCH] Live Filter (Live Search) - Build for Win32 Users to test + comment on.1