networking capabilities
Most scripts and/or plugins generate a "winsock error" or similar error when trying to open an url or streaming content.

Has this something to do with the fact that the networking capabilities/code of the latest windows build are not yet fully implemented?
I can't speak for all scripts and plugins but in general they should work. XBMC uses the default internet connection and this works fine with AMT at least.
You may want to post your log in order to let us see what's happening (via pastebin).
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Generally (in my case), only a handful of scripts work. The "AMT" script within the 14125 build works fine but the "XBMCscripts" updater does not

I've tried several scripts and emailed several authors. They mentioned network related inconsistencies

Seems related to the "ws2_32.dll" and "urlopen" calls from python

Anyway, here are some logs. The "General" log contains the standard information and is left out in the other ones.

Various logs can be found at http://home.quicknet.nl/mw/prive/dragonfly/XBMClogs.ZIP

If not related to XBMC, it might be related to the OS. I'm using a Dutch version of XP pro. Slimmed down for HTPC purposes only. SMB UPNP and other network related processes work fine. Also tried a plain XP sp3, but results in the same errors.
Here is the log in the pastebin:

http://www.pastebin.ca/1088513

Additional comment:

The PIL (Python Image Library) libraries were added in \XBMC\system\python\Lib\. Needed for some scripts to work.

The majority of the scripts do work (e.g. loading indexes from sites) but fail to load or stream the actual content.
maybe something which blittan could explain?
weird is that AMT works and XBMCScripts can download it's updates, so in general it works.

@python gurus: What other function is there in use which might not work?
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
i have seen differences in raw socket handling, there is a socket lib in python which works on xbox, but not on linux nor windows, think it is poorly implemented python in the linuix branch.

I think malloc is on the job of improving it.
Maybe users can report working and/or non working scripts/plugins along with their logs in a separate thread.

This would only contain scripts/plugins that are known to work on the XBOX version. This is to filter out those scripts/plugins who don't work anyway because of other dependencies (site/url changes)
Tried another plugin (videomonkey) which produces a more detailed error log regarding url calls from python:

Code:
DEBUG: LoadLibraryA('_ssl.pyd')
DEBUG: LoadLibrary('_ssl.pyd') returning: 04340758
DEBUG: dllGetProcAddress(03070000(_ssl.pyd), 'init_ssl') => 03071820
DEBUG: dllGetProcAddress(00C1E640(advapi32.dll), 'CryptAcquireContextA') => 00468690
DEBUG: dllGetProcAddress(00C1E640(advapi32.dll), 'CryptGenRandom') => 004686A0
DEBUG: LoadLibraryExA called with flags:
- LOAD_WITH_ALTERED_SEARCH_PATH
DEBUG: LoadLibraryA('unicodedata.pyd')
DEBUG: LoadLibrary('unicodedata.pyd') returning: 040A7458
DEBUG: dllGetProcAddress(04720000(unicodedata.pyd), 'initunicodedata') => 047224F0
DEBUG: LoadLibraryA('ws2_32')
DEBUG: LoadLibrary('ws2_32.dll') returning: 00C1E4A0
DEBUG: dllGetProcAddress(00C1E4A0(ws2_32.dll), 'getaddrinfo') => 0046DC70
DEBUG: dllGetProcAddress(00C1E4A0(ws2_32.dll), 'getaddrinfo') => 0046DC70
DEBUG: dllGetProcAddress(00C1E4A0(ws2_32.dll), 'getnameinfo') => 0046DC90
DEBUG: dllGetProcAddress(00C1E4A0(ws2_32.dll), 'freeaddrinfo') => 0046DCC0
INFO: Traceback (most recent call last):
INFO:   File "c:\XBMC\plugins\video\VideoMonkey\default.py", line 821, in loadRemote
INFO:     handle = urlopen(req)
INFO:   File [b][i]"Q:\system\python\python24.zlib\urllib2.py", line 130, in urlopen[/i][/b]
INFO:   File "Q:\system\python\python24.zlib\urllib2.py", line 358, in open
INFO:   File "Q:\system\python\python24.zlib\urllib2.py", line 376, in _open
INFO:   File "Q:\system\python\python24.zlib\urllib2.py", line 337, in _call_chain
INFO:   File "Q:\system\python\python24.zlib\urllib2.py", line 1021, in http_open
INFO:   File "Q:\system\python\python24.zlib\urllib2.py", line 996, in do_open
INFO: URLError: <urlopen error (2, 'winsock error')>
DragonFly Wrote:Tried another plugin (videomonkey) which produces a more detailed error log regarding url calls from python:

I noticed that this plugin has problems with "socket.setdefaulttimeout" under windows. To be sure that this command does not falsify the log messages, try commenting or removing line 26 of the 'default.py' file.

sfaxman...
That's great sfaxman!

It did the trick. You've made my day!!!

I'll take that "socket.setdefaulttimeout" is some sort of a variable? Would increase or decrease the value have any effect?

Furthermore I'll assume other scripts/plugins use the same sort of statement. I did notice the ATM script for instance has commented the line also.

@developers. Would the various TCP/IP settings like MTU/TCP receive window or other networking settings have an impact on XBMC?
Thanks for the information.
@Dragonfly: are you able to test if the other scripts suffer from the same problem? If you got more information please document it on trac.

Thanks,
WiSo
Ticket #4441 added.
I have the same problems with stream content (internet radio and internet video)
Youtube script are working though, all other produces urlopen error (2, winsock error)
I have tried on 4 pc's (XP SP3), all producing the same errors.
All other functions to grab content from internet are working.
It seems that issues regarding scripts and plugins are not yet resolved. See http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=37684.

A possible explanation:

WiSo Wrote:@dragonfly: I didn't look deeper into the issue as I really don't know if the scripts make the issues or the win build. of course the timeout issue maybe some win thingy but there're some other scripts which still works so this issue has some lower priority.

I personally think the Windows build is totally to blame......
I had the exact same issue with Atlantis beta2 and WinXP. I'm writing my own video plugin and it worked on Xbox but didn't work on Win. Had that same winsock error message. And yes, I removed the socket timeout from my plugin and voilá, everything works also in Win XBMC.

I haven't been able to run any plugin that has that socket.setdefaulttimeout set in Win XBMC atlantis beta 2, but every plugin I've tried has worked by simply commenting that out. So, it's certainly a bug with the Win XBMC build, but don't know where Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
networking capabilities0