DELL Studio Hybrid PC - perfect for XBMC? ...quite expensive though...
Sadly it seems like Linux drivers for Intel Gfx is CRAPTASTIC. I compared ProjectM @ 1080p on XBMC on OS X/GM950 vs. Ubuntu/GM965

OSX: 20-60fps (usually 30-40)
Ubuntu: 5fps

I even made videos, it's extremely depressing.
The Mac Mini is weaker hardware; older chipset & GFX,
less RAM (1GB vs 4GB),
older+slower CPU (OS X had a 1.87Ghz CoreDuo, Ubuntu had a 2.2Ghz Core2Duo)
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

pike Wrote:Sadly it seems like Linux drivers for Intel Gfx is CRAPTASTIC.
Maybe compile and try the latest test drivers from Intel? version xf86-video-intel 2.4.97.0 driver (the final 2.5 version should become available later this year):
http://www.intellinuxgraphics.org/download.html
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
I was just ordering this Dell minipc but I was a little bit worried about the GPU (Intel GMA X3100) so I've done a little bit of research:

Here you can see a description of the GMA X3100: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_GMA#GMA_X3100

Here you can find a really useful comparison table: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_GMA#T...d_chipsets

From the table, you can see that the GPU used by Dell Studio Hybrid doesn't support hardware acceleration for VC-1 (except for Motion Compensation for WMV9) and AVC, it supports hardware acceleration (VLD + iDCT + MC) only for MPEG-2.

It supports DirectX 10.0 (with the latest drivers) and OpenGL 1.5.

The drivers (linux and windows) currently do not support GLSL, so it doesn't meet "real" XBMC minimum requirements (OpenGL 1.4 + GLSL).

Now, having understood that it's not a perfect solution for XBMC and HD playback, the questions I'd like to ask are:

- Is it good enough for XBMC and HD playback?
- Does the CPU (Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T8100 (2,1 GHz, cache L2 3 MB, FSB 800 MHz) compensate the GPU weaknesses? At the end, I would just like to use it as my XBMC device and I want it to be smooth and fluid during operation.

I really like the product's low power consumption, low-noise levels, sleek design, gigabit ethernet, HDMI and DVI output, DVD slot-in reader etc. the price is a little bit high here in Europe, but not that much. So I thought I found the perfect solution for my living-room.

Are there any comparable products on the market with the same characteristics but with a better graphic subsystem in the €600-€650 price range?

I'd love to see an XBMC certified htpc systems list...Wink
Fujitsu Siemens have made another "Intel mini pc", newer architecture than X3100

Esprimo Q Series, espescially the 5030 has GMA X4500 Chipset.
Now, this is probably better then X3100.

That design isn't very pretty though IMHO

There is also the Aopen XC Mini MP45DR,

http://www.aopen.nl/products_detail.aspx?Auno=2661

The new one also has the Intel X4500 chipset. Nice size for use as a HTPC. I just wondering of the soundlevel from that unit, anyone has one or its predecessors?

Best regards
at
Predecessor: pike's Intel Graphic Benchmarking Weekend

Axel Foley Wrote:From the table, you can see that the GPU used by Dell Studio Hybrid doesn't support hardware acceleration for VC-1 (except for Motion Compensation for WMV9) and AVC, it supports hardware acceleration (VLD + iDCT + MC) only for MPEG-2.
That does not matter at all because there is currently no GPU hardware acceleration support in XBMC what so ever, for more information see:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Hardware_Acc...o_Decoding
and
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=GSoC_-_GPU_A...o_Decoding

pike Wrote:Fujitsu Siemens have made another "Intel mini pc", newer architecture than X3100

Esprimo Q Series, espescially the 5030 has GMA X4500 Chipset.
At first glance at the specification of the Fujitsu Siemens ESPRIMO Q5030 E-Star4 fitted with a Intel Core2 Duo P8400 (2.26GHz at 1066MHz FSB) it does looks like the perfect mini-pc for 1080p playback, at least after FFmpeg added their new multi-threading optimizations (which might take a few more months though before they make it into XBMC as the have not even been added to FFmpeg own mainline SVN yet), ...but on a seconds glance the price of this unit too expensive for my taste, plus the fact that it does not come with a built-in infrared receiver and now MCE remote control is inccluded.
pike Wrote:Predecessor: pike's Intel Graphic Benchmarking Weekend

Hi Pike, I how is is the sound level on the Aopen Machine you have?

Regards
at
americantabloid Wrote:There is also the Aopen XC Mini MP45DR,

http://www.aopen.nl/products_detail.aspx?Auno=2661

The new one also has the Intel X4500 chipset. Nice size for use as a HTPC. I just wondering of the soundlevel from that unit, anyone has one or its predecessors?

Best regards
at

I love those Aopen boxes, the new one looks a lot better than the old one, which looks quite nice already. I'm on the verge of getting an htpc, this might well be the one I'll be getting. And yeah, I'm very interested in the sound production as well, as that's one of the reasons I'm replacing the xbox (I'll always love it though Smile)
americantabloid Wrote:Hi Pike, I how is is the sound level on the Aopen Machine you have?

Regards
at

It's quieter than the mac mini I have. But none of them handles 1080p decoding.
You gotta understand, when the laptop cpu inside needs cooling, there's only a small fan to do the job. And a small fan spins fast to to this job.

With that said the Aopen is considerably Quieter than the Mac Mini.

Thanks for the reply.

I have no experience with either the mac mini or the aopen, so your information is most welcome. I have read a couple of comments of the mac mini being quite and if you say the aopen is quiter than it is good news for me. Hopefully it will be even quiter with a new 45nm based processor.

Would say that the Aopen is louder or quiter than a comman projector with the lamp in low mode?

Which of the Aopen or Mac seams to best built?

(Hopefully the drivers for the new Intel x4500 will be better than results you got for the 965 chipset.)

Regards
at
Image VS. Image

Fujistu-Siemens vs. Aopen Rolleyes

Mac Mini ? has an even older chipset than X3100
With that said, Linux Intel Gfx Drivers are not very good... This was what my test was about...

Why have a bluray drive? Can this computer even decode it? If i remember correctly the x3100 can't and I have no idea if the cpu is strong enough but i doubt it. Seems strange that they choose that gpu instead of the brand new x4500HD.
both these Mini PC's are basically a LAPTOP, so a LAPTOP CPU and LAPTOP Chipset

o_dog Wrote:Why have a bluray drive? Can this computer even decode it? If i remember correctly the x3100 can't and I have no idea if the cpu is strong enough but i doubt it. Seems strange that they choose that gpu instead of the brand new x4500HD.
What are you talking about? XBMC doesn't support Blu-ray, see => http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=31630

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DELL Studio Hybrid PC - perfect for XBMC? ...quite expensive though...0