[HOW TO] Have rclone autostart on an Android install
(2021-07-24, 20:20)jkasyan Wrote: You may also be able to find a version of kodi modifed to Target SDK to 28 in APK Studio Editor.  You'd sideload it, and disable automatic updates.  Team Kodi can't do this with the officially distributed version as google requires targeting SDK 29 to be updated in the play store.
Managed to solve it this way. Super easy to do, I was afraid it was gonna be a much more complicated process.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
(2021-11-04, 18:24)moley89 Wrote:
(2021-10-31, 18:23)ashlar Wrote: From reading here, I suppose this addon should work on a Nvidia Shield. Could somebody confirm it? Without root being needed?

What version should one use? Fandangos's or jkasyan's? And lastly: does one have to install rclone separately? What I knew until today is that to mount rclone you would need to root your device. Since here I don't see mention of mounting (it uses WEBDAV, if I understand correctly), maybe it's the solution I was looking for.

Literally just did this on a shield, no root. I used the version in the first post from jkasyan and followed the instructions. You don't need to install rclone seperately. Create a working rclone config on your pc if you haven't got one, copy the config file to a usb drive, and put that in the kodi profile directory. Install the addon from zip and edit the remote name in the addon settings in kodi. Set up the webdav source. Restart kodi.

I haven't tried using the source in a library yet but I can browse my gdrive in the source and play videos fine.
Can you please elaborate more on this, and provide the link to download the addon zip file as I tried the one from the first post and Kodi will not accept it.
The link to the addon zip file, which needs the rclone binary in the kodi APK is 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/647jubvbs4s04j...k.zip?dl=1

Kodi 19.4 and rclone 1.58 APK

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lwip58gwud7p62...a.apk?dl=1
(2022-06-14, 19:12)jkasyan Wrote: The link to the addon zip file, which needs the rclone binary in the kodi APK is 

Thanks for this, Does it work with Nvidia Shield having latest firmware (Android 11)?
I needed to modify the plugin because it hard codes the config file (rclone.conf) location to a directory (Android/Data/org.xbcm.kodi//files/.kodi/) where users cannot write anymore in recent Android versions (without root, that is).

Line 81 of main.py has to become

python:
        code, out, err, mix = run(loc + " " + command + " --log-file=" + logfile + " --cache-dir " + cachepath + " &")

removing the loc2 variable that hardcoded rclone.conf location.

You can then use --config "path/to/rclone.conf" to point rclone to a location where you can actually write and put rclone.conf there.

Edit: to be fair I have no idea whether rclone would error out with two different --config instructions in its command line. Or if the first would "win out", which would make the modification unnecessary (because the command line is formed first with all the instructions one puts in the plugin configuration). I did not try and preferred a clean solution with a simple modification.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
(2023-03-19, 01:04)ashlar Wrote: I needed to modify the plugin because it hard codes the config file (rclone.conf) location to a directory (Android/Data/org.xbcm.kodi//files/.kodi/) where users cannot write anymore in recent Android versions (without root, that is).

this folder is writeable to me without root on firetv, should be for most people as it's usually in the "/sdcard/Android" and sdcard is owned by the user
(2023-03-19, 19:34)jepsizofye Wrote:
(2023-03-19, 01:04)ashlar Wrote: I needed to modify the plugin because it hard codes the config file (rclone.conf) location to a directory (Android/Data/org.xbcm.kodi//files/.kodi/) where users cannot write anymore in recent Android versions (without root, that is).

this folder is writeable to me without root on firetv, should be for most people as it's usually in the "/sdcard/Android" and sdcard is owned by the user
It could well be that Fire OS is not up to date with everything happening on Android from Google side (in this case for the better).
I am 100% positive that on recent Android versions the Android/Data folder appears empty (it does on my OnePlus 6T on Lineage 20, based on Android 13, and I have root).

See here for reference: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/andro...r.4225293/
hmm interesting... @ashlar

believe we are talking about different methods based on that post on xda... they are talking about apps not seeing data which would indicate each app needs permissions set like in the NVidia Permission post

as a developer i always use developer methods, i.e. adb

is adb also unable to access Android/Data?

if a certain app is allowed permissions like in that shield post is it then able to see Android/Data?
(2023-03-20, 20:07)jepsizofye Wrote: hmm interesting... @ashlar

believe we are talking about different methods based on that post on xda... they are talking about apps not seeing data which would indicate each app needs permissions set like in the NVidia Permission post

as a developer i always use developer methods, i.e. adb

is adb also unable to access Android/Data?

if a certain app is allowed permissions like in that shield post is it then able to see Android/Data?
Using Mixplorer (latest version as of today), with root, on the aforementioned OnePlus 6T, I still am unable to list content of Android/Data folder. I can see and interact (read and write) using Root/sdcard. This on Android 13. Rather curiously, Mixplorer does not have the "File" permission among the ones one can give to it. I don't know if that would make a difference.

Kodi can actually access its own folder (what is called special:// in Kodi lingo) and so, using the internal File Manager, could be used to move rclone.conf in the plugin's hardcoded location. I did not think about it but still...

The modification I used completely solves the problem, as a user can put rclone.conf wherever it suits his Android version. Until the day when Android completely stops our ability to interact with our devices in any meaningful way, that is (the trend is worrying, in that regard).

Edit: also, I'm 100% not a developer. I simply devised a solution for the problem at hand. This was not for Shield, a friend of mine had a different Android device that wanted to use with Kodi/rclone and so I tried to find a way to allow that.
no worries

i just saw you posted that something can't be done and it's my nature to challenge such statements

nice of you to find a working solution where other solutions may not be available
If you try adblink you can access Android/Data from your PC. I did it from my windows 10 PC to Philips TV Android 11. Its so easy, i have copied org.xbmc.kodi folder from my Sony android 9 to my pc and then to my Philips tv. Everything works fine except rclone addon. No connection to Dropbox or GDrive. Maybe its because android version. Works great on Sony tv and MiBox. Both Android 9. Any suggestions?
(2022-06-14, 19:12)jkasyan Wrote: The link to the addon zip file, which needs the rclone binary in the kodi APK is 

Its working good. Thank you. Now i can play UHD movies from Dropbox on Philips Android 11 tv. The only problem is kodi freezes on exit but its not a big deal

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[HOW TO] Have rclone autostart on an Android install0