Solved Is there a setting to disable/normalize all audo settings for consistent volume?
Depending where I got my media (recorded, downloaded, streamed), the audio wildly varies but tends to be insanely quiet for some reason. I end up having to turn my TV up between 50 and 80 just to hear what's going on. I know I can adjust volume on one video or use the defaults to boost volume across the board, but is there a way to flatten them all in settings? No multichannel 5.pi whatever whatever - just simple left/right stereo at a normal volume range?
(2020-05-08, 22:16)iamgregor Wrote: tends to be insanely quiet for some reason
This might have something to do with settings and the type of encode... let's say you have a media file 7.1 audio, then without a proper down-mix you might be getting channels in the wrong place; Audio volume variance in playback, suggests channel problems. Check your o/s sound output against this Windows audio (wiki), turning up your TV audio to compensate on any audio suggests a weak signal or some barrier to the audio input (you didn't mention if you are going to an amp or TV direct and the type of connection) Using HDMI wasapi pass-through off loads all the audio to the other end of the cable.

I'll often play out Youtube videos and have to adjust up/down volume, it would seem there is no real standard that video-graphers can follow. When I pull OTA local broadcasts, the audio has be set 20% higher. There are some tools in settings and the osd that might mitigate some of this, in the OSD try audio settings > set audio to around -20db then set Audio Amplification to around +30db perhaps that might work out. 5.5 Audio Settings has a bit of an explanation. https://kodi.wiki/view/Video_playback#OS...e_settings. Proper debug logs often offer clues if there is some hidden issue beyond what I've already covered.
(2020-05-09, 05:50)PatK Wrote:
(2020-05-08, 22:16)iamgregor Wrote: tends to be insanely quiet for some reason
This might have something to do with settings and the type of encode... let's say you have a media file 7.1 audio, then without a proper down-mix you might be getting channels in the wrong place; Audio volume variance in playback, suggests channel problems. Check your o/s sound output against this Windows audio (wiki), turning up your TV audio to compensate on any audio suggests a weak signal or some barrier to the audio input (you didn't mention if you are going to an amp or TV direct and the type of connection) Using HDMI wasapi pass-through off loads all the audio to the other end of the cable.

I'll often play out Youtube videos and have to adjust up/down volume, it would seem there is no real standard that video-graphers can follow. When I pull OTA local broadcasts, the audio has be set 20% higher. There are some tools in settings and the osd that might mitigate some of this, in the OSD try audio settings > set audio to around -20db then set Audio Amplification to around +30db perhaps that might work out. 5.5 Audio Settings has a bit of an explanation. https://kodi.wiki/view/Video_playback#OS...e_settings. Proper debug logs often offer clues if there is some hidden issue beyond what I've already covered.  

I have to turn the computer 100% and THEN the TV to 50 or more. It's pretty bad. I suspect you're right about various mixes and channels and nonsense that I couldn't care less about... how do I fix it? I never have this problem when using any other media player. Best case scenario, I disable any and all special audio and reduce it to flatlined stereo at best.

I have computer playing Kodi using HDMI from the video card to the TV.
Audio quickstart guide (wiki) and Audio troubleshooting (wiki) and not to mention Settings/System/Audio (wiki) Proper debug logs often offer clues if there is some hidden issue beyond what I've already covered.
(2020-05-09, 22:02)PatK Wrote: Audio quickstart guide (wiki) and Audio troubleshooting (wiki) and not to mention Settings/System/Audio (wiki) Proper debug logs often offer clues if there is some hidden issue beyond what I've already covered.
Will try and report back. Thank you.
So far messing with basic settings seems to have helped. Thank you. Not sure what I did, but it was a combination of things between system settings and then changing invididual volume (then applying to all)
Thread marked solved.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is there a setting to disable/normalize all audo settings for consistent volume?0