Add support for 256MB and 512MB RAM to XBMC for Xbox code?
Question 
I recently came upon some research I have been studying that may lead to a big break in our xbox1 hardware.It may not I dont know for sure that is why I am asking.The hardware in question is the ram.
To start with I know that a company called micron was original contracted by microsoft to make its ram they had a 6 year deal that disapeared and I could not find anything else on them besides they now own the company that produced the 1.6b ram.Anyway micron did put ram in some of the early model development xboxes here is a link of a picture of one of these xboxes that is said to run normally on a hacked bios.

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?s...try4287258

I could not find any info about the model of ram.I did look up the specs of the samsung that the xbox came standardly equipped with cross referanced its diminsions and features and found the specs of what I will assume is the micron chip in question model#MT46V2M32 the specs are online if you want to see it that file came to me.

Here is a link on the samsung we already have

http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-p...-QC50.html

This company also responded here about making the chips upgradable when they were in the contract with microsoft

http://eetimes.eu/semi/18305201

Here is one model higher of chip that still seems to have the same design but in bigger sizes

http://pdf1.alldatasheet.net/datasheet-p...V4M32.html

Here is another list that gives the layout for the different lines of the specific ram

http://www.yjfy.com/M/Micron/ram/ddrsdra...DR%20SDRAM

Does this look to be interchangable?

If so will it require any additional bios work to get it done?

Some might not say this is the place to ask I say where then?
This is the heart of the xbox coding I can not think of a better place to ask.

It would be nice if it is possible those chips come in 32 and 64 as well as the normal xbox 16mg chips.

An xbox running on 256 or 512 would be sweet.

If it is possible and I can find a way to get it installed and there is a bios problem would anyone be interested in helping with the code?
Most of your URLs do not work as you seem to have cut&paste them wrong.

The Xbox debug BIOS(es) does support 128MB RAM, (and XBMC already support that), anymore and you would have to hack the BIOS. See:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=6276

This discussion should be directed to xbox-scene.com forums as we do not have any hardware or BIOS hackers/programmers here.

This forum is for "XBMC for Xbox" (that is the "XBMC" software only), ...if you could get the Xbox BIOS to support more than 128MB then you are welcome back to ask for support for it in XBMC.

PS! It is not the RAM that is the bootleneck on the Xbox, (128MB is plenty good), it is firstly the CPU that is the bootleneck, and secondly the GPU. So IMHO you are better of spending your money on an HTPC computer to run XBMC for Linux on.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Aftrer reading the link it brought me to a question.
It left me with the impression that the first 64mgs are shared with the cpu but the upgraded ram is not is this correct?
If I am correct and the original 64mgs is shared would this not change things if the xbox had bigger ram chips?
When the original 64mgs that is accessed turns into 128mgs or 256mgs.Will this not be a different setup entirely as far as the memory that can be used by the cpu?

And I know it would be cheaper to run on a pc but this is a project for information.I dont know how long it will be before the next generation consoles have the same advantages as the xbox1.That day may never come.
With that being said people like you and others involved in the xbox1 have alot of hardware limitations that hinder you.I am going to try to get rid of some of those problems that you all have related to the hardware so maybe we can get some things that we all want but are not available to us at this time.
I am also looking into other areas of improvement hardware wise as well.Whatever I learn I will share.If I make an advancement in our hardware I will make the methods available to everybody.And if some people dont have the skill levels to complete the task I will set the market low so it is affordable to everyone.
More memory would help with the skins that are appearing of late I would think? and maybe 1080i playback? 256/512 mixed with Trustys 1Ghz CPU mod would be very nice but as to what use it would be I'm not sure.... I've spet hours pondering over Xbox mother boards with a magnifing glass with hacking it about in mind and thoughts of gig ethernet connections, USB2 as well as the memory thing but at this late in its life.... belive me I'm all for "getting the most" out of the Xbox I wanna keep mine as long as I can.....!
Forget 256 meg and 512 meg

128meg doesnt even work

i have a 128meg ram xbox and if the used ram goes over 64meg the video just freezes
and has done ever since i have had my 128meg xbox (2 years)

xbmc doesnt support over 64meg full stop
Your mobo is jacked then I have 4 all work flawlessly.My guess the solder needs reflowed on the chips.
your just not using over 64meg
set cache size for lan transfers to 16meg or something to take it over 64meg used
Sure enough but the program does not crash completely it just fails on the video end when memory runs under 64mgs.It is still playing though.
Does the pc lines of xbmc have this same drawback?
Shonk Wrote:Forget 256 meg and 512 meg

128meg doesnt even work

i have a 128meg ram xbox and if the used ram goes over 64meg the video just freezes

Thats nipped my plans in the bud then! Eek I was about to butcher an old Xbox and put the memory in another to help with larger skins.... Sad

WiSo its all on you now! Laugh I'd rather chew my own arm off than run Jobbs's snob box and Linix interests me about as much as breakin my arm... Oo
Shonk Wrote:xbmc doesnt support over 64meg full stop
Not true, XBMC does use it at least for digital images. I have a 128MB Xbox too and it does not hang.

...though I do still not see why anyone would spend money upgrading the memory in an old Xbox today.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Gamester17 Wrote:Not true, XBMC does use it at least for digital images. I have a 128MB Xbox too and it does not hang.

...though I do still not see why anyone would spend money upgrading the memory in an old Xbox today.

Gamester.. have you used you 128Mb box with any of the newer skins that are about now? is there any improvment over a 64mb one which report very low availble memoy with some skins are tend to be a little sluggish... doing it isnt a problem... I've worked on SMT kit and I'm a dab hand with a soldering iron! Big Grin
Thanks
Wrong to compare with my 128MB Xbox as it also as a 1.48GHz Pentium-III processor,
...it's a Friendtech DreamX-1480 Wink
Gamester17 Wrote:Wrong to compare with my 128MB Xbox as it also as a 1.48GHz Pentium-III processor,
...it's a Friendtech DreamX-1480 Wink

Geessssss I have been looking for one of them!!! very rare these days! wish I had got one when they we're still being made!

So no problem with Skins, and 1080i playback I would guess!? Cool
I only have a 42-inch 720p TV, (1080i was never made popular in Europe, and I cannot yet awford a 1080p 42-inch+ TV to make it worth replacing the 720p TV).

I do not have have problems with any skins in 720p.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Add support for 256MB and 512MB RAM to XBMC for Xbox code?1