Solved Adding network movie files
Well... SMB has its own pitfalls these days. SMBv1 was around for a long time but deprecated because of severe security holes, however since last year SMBv2 caused a bit of a sh!tstorm: network browsing has been removed, and the Windows user doing the shares must have full credentials, such as a password.

That's why you need to go via the "Add network location" in the 'Browse' option.
(2020-06-14, 15:38)Klojum Wrote: Well... SMB has its own pitfalls these days. SMBv1 was around for a long time but deprecated because of severe security holes, however since last year SMBv2 caused a bit of a sh!tstorm: network browsing has been removed, and the Windows user doing the shares must have full credentials, such as a password.

That's why you need to go via the "Add network location" in the 'Browse' option.

And what do I do when I goto the 'add network location' if I then click browse I get the same error?

How do I know the network location?
You will need to know the IP address and the user's credentials of the Windows machine.
I'm not a big guru on this, I stopped using Windows myself some 10 years ago...
Others may help you as well.
(2020-06-14, 16:42)James_liv Wrote:
(2020-06-14, 15:38)Klojum Wrote: Well... SMB has its own pitfalls these days. SMBv1 was around for a long time but deprecated because of severe security holes, however since last year SMBv2 caused a bit of a sh!tstorm: network browsing has been removed, and the Windows user doing the shares must have full credentials, such as a password.

And what do I do when I goto the 'add network location' if I then click browse I get the same error?

How do I know the network location?

Thanks,

I didn't realise that by server name you meant the logging name and password of the laptop. It's working really well now. Thank you.
It plays UHD files (I tested a 57gb UHD movie) perfectly without stuttering.

Next problem is my filezilla is only accessible from inside the house. The minute I try to use my exteral IP it won't connect.
I guess that's for a different thread though.

Thanks again.
Yes, different thread.

Thread marked solved.
(2020-06-15, 05:08)PatK Wrote: Yes, different thread.

Thread marked solved.

It does now connect but after some testing it cannot reliably stream even a 1080p film over the network without stuttering and so its fairly useless tbh.

I've now setup my ftp server and that too stutters.

Previously I had it so on Windows 10 when I entered network I could see the kodi box and see the drive which was mounted.

I could then drop files in from there which meant the kodi box didn't need to stream over the network.

Now when I try to do this I get an error message In Windows saying Windows cannot access \\Kodi

I can't work out why this is. Any ideas?

Or any ideas if I can access the mounted drive via ip?
(2020-06-21, 19:14)James_liv Wrote: cannot reliably stream even a 1080p film over the network
This is not a continuing issue, sounds like networking. Suggestion start a new post (never a good idea to continue in a 'solved' thread) pretty well echoing post #21 attach a proper debug log showing the problem and give a little information about your connections and hardware and you'll have more eyes to add solutions.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Adding network movie files0