Opensubtitles.org subs lookup delay on Nvidia Shield TV Pro
Hi Team,

I see a fairly significant delay with looking up subs with the Opensubtitles.org Add-on, I hope you can help.

This is my equipment:
- KODI 18.7.2 (tried with some earlier versions too)
- Opensubtitles.org Add-on 5.0.16, configured with a registered username / password
- Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 (December 5 2019 patch level; 8.1 SW version - all the latest) with Android TV OS

This is what happens:
Whenever I navigate to the subtitle settings and click on "Download subtitle", there is an approx 30 seconds delay to find and list the available subtitles.
This did not happen on the previous box I have used (Minix U1 with Android 5.1.1). I have seen on some Nvidia forums that this is experienced by other Shield users too.

I wonder if this is an error with KODI for Andorid TV OS which could be fixed or if there is a workaround available?

Any help / idead would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Antal
Could be just a case of bad timing. The OpenSubtitles backend can be quite busy due to its own success. Try a couple of hours earlier or later.
(2020-07-02, 18:13)Klojum Wrote: Could be just a case of bad timing. The OpenSubtitles backend can be quite busy due to its own success. Try a couple of hours earlier or later.
Thank you for your reply Klojum! 

Actually it is kind of the same every time, does not really matter when I try it... my feeling is that this must be something either with KODI or with the Plugin, but since I used the same Plugin on the Minix, I would assume maybe this is rather KODI source related.
I don't think it is. I see some delays in the evening hours, but during the daytime it's usually pretty fast outside the maintenance moments.
A subtitle addon would be foolish to have delaying tactics for whatever reason. Maybe you're simply located in the slower part of the internet world?
(2020-07-02, 19:33)Klojum Wrote: I don't think it is. I see some delays in the evening hours, but during the daytime it's usually pretty fast outside the maintenance moments.
A subtitle addon would be foolish to have delaying tactics for whatever reason. Maybe you're simply located in the slower part of the internet world?
Well, I did not see delays with this on my old Minix box and also just checked there is no delay with subs lookup via Opensubtitles.org in other media player. Btw, I have 1Gbit net connection with 2ms latency, I don’t think this is related to my location 😉 must be something in KODI for AndroidTV OS or within this plugin.

Anybody else has similar experience?
(2020-07-02, 21:00)Antal Wrote:
(2020-07-02, 19:33)Klojum Wrote: I don't think it is. I see some delays in the evening hours, but during the daytime it's usually pretty fast outside the maintenance moments.
Well, I did not see delays with this on my old Minix box and also just checked there is no delay with subs lookup via Opensubtitles.org in other media player. Btw, I have 1Gbit net connection with 2ms latency, I don’t think this is related to my location 😉 must be something in KODI for AndroidTV OS or within this plugin.

Anybody else has similar experience?

Hi, yes, I have the same problem. Running the latest Kodi and plugin on Shield TV.
Try again in the morning. OpenSubtitles.org has a lively and large group of customers when the want to watch movies late at night.
I'm having the same issue too, took around 30 sec for subtitles result to load. Nvidia shield 2015 + kodi(18.9 playstore version) + opensubtitle addon(5.0.16 with user/pass fill)

Tested again using windows10 pc but this time it loads almost immediately. Kodi(18.9 .exe version) + opensubtitle addon(5.0.16 with user/pass fill)

So here I can verify that the issue is not on my network since my pc having no issue loading the subtitles.
BUMP
Same here... I've tested it with multiple devices over the past year, with multiple kodi releases (just unwillingly upgraded to Kodi 20 on Shield TV Pro 2019) and always with the same result... The results of a subtitle search on Opensubtitles.org takes mere seconds to appear on other devices (read 'Kodi'-boxes). But on the Shield, there first is a delay of about 30seconds and then the search results appear. This isn't so bad if you want to watch a 3 hour movie, but it can get annoying if you want to bingewatch 6 episodes.
Anybody have any advice on how to resolve this issue?
Just a thought, but check (maybe try out other) DNS settings used by Kodi.
(2023-01-18, 02:48)Mr_Orange Wrote: BUMP
Same here... I've tested it with multiple devices over the past year, with multiple kodi releases (just unwillingly upgraded to Kodi 20 on Shield TV Pro 2019) and always with the same result... The results of a subtitle search on Opensubtitles.org takes mere seconds to appear on other devices (read 'Kodi'-boxes). But on the Shield, there first is a delay of about 30seconds and then the search results appear. This isn't so bad if you want to watch a 3 hour movie, but it can get annoying if you want to bingewatch 6 episodes.
Anybody have any advice on how to resolve this issue?
Hi Mr Orange et All,

This finally got resolved for me just yesterday :-) Now subs are appearing from Opensubtitles.org really instantly.

This was ongoing for a couple of weeks for me and not sure what resolved the issue finally, but here are the steps which I have done:

- Shield upgrade and all apps upgrade to latest available version (Shield 9.1.1 / 33.2.0.157 currently)
- Uninstalled Kodi completely (Force stop, remove data!) and then reinstalled latest release (currently 20.0 Nexus) from scratch
- Created a brand new Openstubtitles.org account (however it works now with my old account...)
- Within Kodi, uninstall / Reinstall the Opensubtitles.org plugin from the Repository. Add the old or the new account, try both
- NAS unmount and re-mount
- Settings -» Apps -» Kodi -» Permissions -» Make sure that he has access to File and Media
- Settings -» Apps -» Special App Access -» NAS Storage Access -» Ensure that Kodi is "allowed"
- Within Kodi, remount the NAS drives by IP and not SMB share. I use fix IP via my router for the NAS.
- Shield Factory reset (was done earlier)

I hope this helps you somehow.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Opensubtitles.org subs lookup delay on Nvidia Shield TV Pro0