Android Sony 2020 TV lineup SoC
(2020-11-15, 08:47)wrxtasy Wrote: The key to all modern Tech, especially expensive products is make damn sure you get good after sales Firmware (and Apps) support to fix any show stopper bugs.

This is key - as is a supportive retailer who is 'on your side'. 

My Sony 49XE9005 had a 'type fault' which afflicted all XE-series models I looked at (repeated or dropped pairs of frames - usually just after shot changes). The only solution was to go into Game Mode or one of the other odd modes - that then meant you couldn't get a decent picture. I spotted the fault within the first 15 minutes of owning the TV (how Sony could ship TV, and reviewers give it a 5 * review, with that basic a fault I still can't fathom)

After a lot of persuading, coupled with irrefutable evidence, and with the support of the retailer I had bought it from (who also include a 5 year warranty at no extra charge), Sony replaced it free-of-charge with the newer XF-series (which didn't have the fault), and finally agreed that there was an issue common to the model (not a fault specific to my TV). A large number of UK customers also managed to get their TVs replaced in the same way.
(2020-11-15, 08:47)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2020-11-15, 06:52)jambono Wrote: Yes but look at costco forums AND AVS forums for this device and you will see many random rebooting / restarting / freezing issue

Better not buy any Smart TV then because all of them will have problems at one time or another. That is almost guaranteed, especially with shiny new Tech products.

What you read on forums and such is users that actually have issues, not the silent majority that have very few problems.
Some are simply faulty hardware, which occurs with any product. Others are simply configuration issues. (RS232 on USA X900H). You also get badly coded Apps causing major problems.

The key to all modern Tech, especially expensive products is make damn sure you get good after sales Firmware (and Apps) support to fix any show stopper

For the moment I have an "old" Sony KDL46V3000 with an android S912 box and CoreElec and I am very happy... colors are amazing and the 1080p image quality too... I would like to buy the 900H but I'm afraid of being disappointed
I see that here the XBR65X800H is listed with MT 5893 https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/d42b1cf7 or here (8096) https://avclub.gr/forum/showthread.php/1...1058525253 but here people speak about RealteK ... Anyone know whats the right specs for this item https://www.costco.ca/sony-65-in.-4k-hdr...69122.html ?

thanks
This post earlier from @88keyz is correct:
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2968593
https://twitter.com/androidtv_rumor/stat...2907161602

The 2020 X800H model has a Realtek RTD2873 SoC that includes a quad Core ARM [email protected] and a ARM Mali G31 GPU.
That G31 GPU is pretty good so the X800H should still be a responsive setup. It's the same GPU that the new snappy GoogleTV dongle uses.

Rtings(click) calls Android TV and Apps usage on the X800H, "Very Smooth"

If you want to compare RAW CPU numbers for the 2019 X850G (UR2) vs the 2020 X800H (VU1):
https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/com...e=11425334

(2020-11-17, 08:56)wrxtasy Wrote: This post earlier from @88keyz is correct:
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2968593
https://twitter.com/androidtv_rumor/stat...2907161602

The 2020 X800H model has a Realtek RTD2873 SoC that includes a quad Core ARM [email protected] and a ARM Mali G31 GPU.
That G31 GPU is pretty good so the X800H should still be a responsive setup. It's the same GPU that the new snappy GoogleTV dongle uses.

Rtings(click) calls Android TV and Apps usage on the X800H, "Very Smooth"

If you want to compare RAW CPU numbers for the 2019 X850G (UR2) vs the 2020 X800H (VU1):
https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/com...e=11425334
Ahhhh thank you so much for this detailed tech specs ... It's unbelievable that displayspecification show wrong specs
@wrxtasy

Are you sure that there's no auto framerate matching on sony android tvs with kodi?
Any feedback using kodi on this sony tv model

https://www.sony.com.sg/electronics/tele...75h-series

I will just use kodi for normal youtube/iptv streaming
(2020-11-25, 03:03)Frontier53 Wrote: @wrxtasy

Are you sure that there's no auto framerate matching on sony android tvs with kodi?

99.99% sure everything on modern 4K Sony's get motion processed to display at a Frame Rate of 60 or 120Hz.

@CiNcH, who knows a whole lot about Sonys explains it in the following post: (read the subsequent posts as well)
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2869148

@wrxtasy : I intend to buy the Sony 85XH90 for all the above reasons , paired with Denon x6700H for all AV processing + Kodi running on Nvidia Shield 2019 for Prime + Netflix 4K HDR/DV content. I really Like the Panasonic TX-75HX940B  as its HDR10+ & DV & HDMI 2.1 but only 100 Hz AND its out of stock. Please  I am looking for your validation + Suggestions  in this regards. Main intentions are for Home theatre use  ( 7.1.6 Atmos setup) & some 4K gaming like the upcoming Cyberpunk 2077 .P:S :  I read Your state of 4K HDR thread and the other HDR content related Hardware & software threads since I decided on upgrading from 1080p 3D to 4K HDR & I am greateful as you guys really are on the cutting edge of experimentation regards our beloved kodi. I cannopt even think of migrating to any other software .. Plex/MB ( or emby as its now known ) etc etc.
I love Panasonic TV’s. I have a 2019 GZ Panasonic OLED, blacks and picture processing are about the best you can get.

However that Panasonic TX-75HX940B LED LCD has no local dimming, it’s an Edge Lit TV.
https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/picture-...al-dimming

The Sony X90H does have local dimming, you will end up with much darker blacks and a more immersive HDR picture.

The only HDMI 2.1 features you will find on 2020 Panasonic TV’s is ALLM, maybe eARC.
There is no VRR, QMS and all the other standard HDMI 2.1 features you will get (Firmware update coming) with the Sony X90H.

Unless you already have a 2019 Nvidia Shield, there really is no need to get one if you have a snappy, speedy Sony X90H. In fact for HDR, Apps (Not Kodi audio) and video playback motion support you are actually going backwards using any other externally HDMI connected media player with the X90H.

For 4K HDR / Atmos Kodi, pair that X90H up with a Gigabit LAN equipped CoreELEC Kodi device ( + WeChip G40S remote) that then acts like a dedicated Kodi appliance.

You will then have virtually everything covered, Apps, Audio, HDR and Kodi wise you can get.

W. Smile

(2020-11-25, 14:33)Naga Wrote: Any feedback using kodi on this sony tv model

https://www.sony.com.sg/electronics/tele...75h-series

I will just use kodi for normal youtube/iptv streaming

Sony X7500H is the model. Any feedback pls?
(2020-11-26, 03:27)wrxtasy Wrote: Unless you already have a 2019 Nvidia Shield, there really is no need to get one if you have a snappy, speedy Sony X90H. In fact for HDR, Apps (Not Kodi audio) and video playback motion support you are actually going backwards using any other externally HDMI connected media player with the X90H.

Isn't this strange advice given that the Sony Android TV implementation is fixed at 60/120Hz refresh? The Shield TV Pro will output 24/50/60/120Hz and with Kodi will refresh rate switch appropriately - rather than relying on consumer-grade MotionFlow etc. processing (that anyone who appreciates viewing in original picture quality will usually switch off to avoid adding additional processing artefacts).

If  a buyer of an XH9005 cares about picture quality enough to go for a FALD display - surely they are likely to care enough to watch content at original frame rates?  25Hz and 50Hz content at 60Hz is horrible however you process it.

What is strange is that HbbTV 'apps' (not Android TV apps) seem to be able to run at 25/50Hz correctly, I guess they go in at a more 'DVB/ATSC' level for video display?
(2020-11-26, 11:34)noggin Wrote:
(2020-11-26, 03:27)wrxtasy Wrote: Unless you already have a 2019 Nvidia Shield, there really is no need to get one if you have a snappy, speedy Sony X90H. In fact for HDR, Apps (Not Kodi audio) and video playback motion support you are actually going backwards using any other externally HDMI connected media player with the X90H.

Isn't this strange advice given that the Sony Android TV implementation is fixed at 60/120Hz refresh? The Shield TV Pro will output 24/50/60/120Hz and with Kodi will refresh rate switch appropriately - rather than relying on consumer-grade MotionFlow etc. processing (that anyone who appreciates viewing in original picture quality will usually switch off to avoid adding additional processing artefacts).

Yes it is strange if you read about Kodi in particular, in isolation to the paragraph i wrote that followed, namely... Wink

Quote:For 4K HDR / Atmos Kodi, pair that X90H up with a Gigabit LAN equipped CoreELEC Kodi device ( + WeChip G40S remote) that then acts like a dedicated Kodi appliance.
Quote:If a buyer of an XH9005 cares about picture quality enough to go for a FALD display - surely they are likely to care enough to watch content at original frame rates?

The point needs to be made that the XH9005 is not a Premium Sony TV model but focussed on HDMI 2.1, next gen. gaming and a speedy, snappy OS and Apps streaming platform.
It does not even get Sony's Top Spec - X1 Ultimate Picture (co)Processor so you miss out on processing features like Smooth Graduation compared to the Premium models like the XH9500 and the pre Calibrated - Master Series range.

I doubt mainstream Sony mid range XH9005 TV consumers care little about what happens in the background with motion processing during Apps (internet) video playback.
So long as video playback looks natural and not artificial looking or overly processed. Which Sony are great at if you setup their modern TV's properly.

I'm fussy about Motion too, and even I now watch everything on Netflix, Prime Video, YouTube etc. on my OLED itself with minimal motion processing.
(yes that has surprised me too)
Everything looks pretty natural & normal to me.

I doubt the majority of XH9005 users are going to even notice picture artifacts from Sony's great Picture processing either.
We are not all Pixel Peepers with a Sherlock type magnifying glass held up to the screen Blush

IMHO popular, internet, video streaming Apps are about convenience and Apps availability, not Premium home theatre quality, Frame Rate Matched video playback.

W. Smile

(2020-11-26, 14:22)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2020-11-26, 11:34)noggin Wrote:

Yes it is strange if you read about Kodi in particular, in isolation to the paragraph i wrote that followed, namely... Wink
Quote:For 4K HDR / Atmos Kodi, pair that X90H up with a Gigabit LAN equipped CoreELEC Kodi device ( + WeChip G40S remote) that then acts like a dedicated Kodi appliance.

Yep - but surely you'd want an external player not just for Kodi, but for DRM-ed sources like Netflix and Prime, otherwise you're still stuck with the 60/120Hz fixed refresh issues? So a Shield TV or Apple TV 4K would make sense - as they can be persuaded to 24/50/60Hz (though not without issues - there is still no perfect solution out there it seems)

I would be wary of recommending anyone who wants to watch Netflix or Prime in quality (particularly 25fps European movies and 50fps Sport coverage on Prime - like Tennis, Football and Rugby) to use internal fixed-refresh rate players.

Quote:
Quote:If a buyer of an XH9005 cares about picture quality enough to go for a FALD display - surely they are likely to care enough to watch content at original frame rates?

The point needs to be made that the XH9005 is not a Premium Sony TV model but focussed on HDMI 2.1, next gen. gaming and a speedy, snappy OS and Apps streaming platform.
It does not even get Sony's Top Spec - X1 Ultimate Picture (co)Processor so you miss out on processing features like Smooth Graduation compared to the Premium models like the XH9500 and the pre Calibrated - Master Series range.
Yep - though arguably these are no great loss - a lot of the processing introduces additional artefacts (you never see it in use on high-end displays used for grading or broadcast) .

Quote:I doubt mainstream Sony mid range XH9005 TV consumers care little about what happens in the background with motion processing during Apps (internet) video playback.
So long as video playback looks natural and not artificial looking or overly processed. Which Sony are great at if you setup their modern TV's properly.

I'm fussy about Motion too, and even I now watch everything on Netflix, Prime Video, YouTube etc. on my OLED itself with minimal motion processing.
(yes that has surprised me too)
Everything looks pretty natural & normal to me.

I doubt the majority of XH9005 users are going to even notice picture artifacts from Sony's great Picture processing either.
We are not all Pixel Peepers with a Sherlock type magnifying glass held up to the screen Blush

IMHO popular, internet, video streaming Apps are about convenience and Apps availability, not Premium home theatre quality, Frame Rate Matched video playback.

W. Smile

I think we'll differ on this. If you care enough to have an AVR and HDR display - and also pay for UHD HDR OTT and UHD HDR Blu-rays - you're probably going to care at least a bit about picture quality.

I've yet to see any motion processing on a consumer display that doesn't introduce artefacts (particularly on complex motion on more heavily compressed sources like OTT streaming platforms, where compression artefacts confuse the motion interpolation algorithms) - particularly in 50Hz to 60/120Hz conversions. No need to get a magnifying glass out to see them. (There's a reason broadcasters still have to use things like US$80k Grass Valley Alchemist converters to do real-time hardware 50<->60Hz conversion for live sport and entertainment)
@noggin can you give a few example of European 25p/50p shows in netflix which I can try to test in my CX built in app to see if I notice any issues with it or not.

I notice judder (or stutter, always get confused between the 2!) on Netflix dolby vision content during panning shots (which were practically non existant on my plasma, in general I mean as I didn't have hdr at all before obviously) and at times for certain SDR content too but so far I don't notice any frame drops which I believe can happen when you have mismatched frame rate of the show and screen?
HT System - Denon X1500-H, 4x RP-500M for FR,FL,SR,SL, RP-404C for Center, 2x RP-500SA for Top Middle, SVS PB-2000. Harmony 665, LG OLED CX 65, Samsung PN51H5000 Plasma

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sony 2020 TV lineup SoC0