Preferred Streaming Protocol - XBMS vs SMB vs UPnP vs FTP...etc
My setup: Get a big NAS (unRAID) - 13Tb

Create the following shares:
Movies (use the Movie scraper on this source)
TV (use the TV scraper on this source)
MusicVideos (Use the music video scraper on this source)
OtherVideo (no scraper, put the quirky non-scraping stuff in here... UFC, Documentaries, Home Video's of the Kids etc)

If you can't join several disks into a big array then try the following:

D:\Movies1 (share as Movies1 - smb://server/movies1/)
D:\TV1
D:\MusicVideo
D:\OtherVideo

E:\Movies2 (share as Movies2 - smb://server/movies2/)
E:\TV2
E:\MusicVideo

After you add the sources, and turn the scrapers on then XBMC will "combine" all of the content into your library and give you the consolidated view of all of your content.

Then you just need to ensure that you don't fill either of the volumes up. I would recommend only putting the "OtherVideo" share on to one volume, because it wont scrape and you don't want to manually browse between the two possible sources.

After years of experience I finally decided to concede and store my content in a way that XBMC works best. This took me a while to come to the conclusion. I finally realised that I consume all of this content from XBMC, and where/how it is stored is not of any concern. I occasionally go to these files shares from a PC to copy content for friends, while it is not in the hierarchy that I had originally intended it is certainly logical and easy.

My tip, concede and move your stuff.
(2014-08-26, 12:28)meimeiriver Wrote:
(2014-08-26, 10:36)nickr Wrote: Well it's up to the server whether it honours links.

Actually, this is not entirely true. Which is to say, Mrcrosoft itself honors its own symbolic links, of course (which are just shortcuts, really). XBMC, however, while it can scrape on them (!), sees the symlinked movies all as having 0 Bytes length, and refuses to play them. My guess is that XBMC somehow tries to localize the path-names inside the links (and subsequently can't find the file).

I think you might have latched on to the wrong pooling implementation for windows. DrivePool is ringing a bell, try searching on that with google. Sorry i am not being much help.

Other suggestion, google "drive pooling windows".
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I have a media server with many drives. I use FlexRaid pooling only (as read only & not their "raid" service) as i found it to be neater & easier than drivepool or drivebender. (these 2 create a folder under which you store your stuff on the physical drive... FlexRaid pooling just pools all folders on the root of your drives... so if all your drives have a Movie folder with various movies under it, when you look at your pooled drive the folder 'movies' will show all the movies on the various drives). There is a small fee but i thought it worth it. Anyways, this makes the setup in XBMC easy, also if you move a movie from one drive to another but it remains in the 'movies' folder, xbmc will not need to rescan, since the file path did not change.
Tried FlexRAID for a long time. Ended up switching to DriveBender with cloud backups and mirrored folders for really important stuff (picture, docs).

FlexRAID never gave me the impression of a really stable and mature product. Too much stuff happening without clear explanations, everything intentionally kept "mysterious" and with tech jargon that, from time to time, seemed made up on the spot. I'm quite sure that was just my impression but what can I say? It didn't give me enough confidence to stay with it.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
(2014-08-21, 22:01)natethomas Wrote: I believe this is rapidly going to become a lesser problem over the next release or two. Work was done last GSOC (and is continuing) that would allow one XBMC library to talk to another one. So in the future if you just have Kodi/XBMC scrape your one Windows box locally, all the Kodis throughout your network should get the same library info. That's still a ways off, but major UPnP work is definitely on the way.

Looking forward to this as for salvation Blush
For me SMB not working too good. I have 4K movie library on the NAS. Using Kodi I access NAS and DLNA on upnp works just fine but if I am using anything SMB, movie is lagging. IT's almost that SMB is not fast enough to transmit data.
(2019-04-18, 05:50)divxclub Wrote: For me SMB not working too good. I have 4K movie library on the NAS. Using Kodi I access NAS and DLNA on upnp works just fine but if I am using anything SMB, movie is lagging. IT's almost that SMB is not fast enough to transmit data.

This thread is really old, and this isn't the right forum area

I suggest you open a new thread in the appropriate area (Windows, Linux support etc) and post details of your system with a debug log if you want assistance
(2019-04-18, 05:50)divxclub Wrote: For me SMB not working too good. I have 4K movie library on the NAS. Using Kodi I access NAS and DLNA on upnp works just fine but if I am using anything SMB, movie is lagging. IT's almost that SMB is not fast enough to transmit data.

Might I suggest NFS.
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL
I'm using SMB, but I should be migrating to NFS.  Microsoft has done a really poor job maintaining the quality of SMB over the years.  They tried to revamp the whole protocol with SMB 2 and in the process broke a ton of stuff that still uses the original SMB.  Now it's a mess.  After a lot of hair pulling I now have SMB working reliably on my network, but really it needs to just die.
Pop....7î
I'm home 90ppplpⁿ
[quote="Alusher" pid='2903513' dateline='1574790361']
Pop....7î
I'm home 90ppplpⁿ
[/
]
@Alusher

What are you trying to achieve..?
(2019-11-26, 19:46)Alusher Wrote: [quote="Alusher" pid='2903513' dateline='1574790361']
Pop....7î
I'm home 90ppplpⁿ
[/
]
So what's going on

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Preferred Streaming Protocol - XBMS vs SMB vs UPnP vs FTP...etc0