Solved Can't use SMB on Nvidia Shield TV but works on android file browser
The proverbial SMB problem.  Trying to stream from my Windows 10 (Pro) to my Nvidia Shield TV Pro  Here is what I've done as per the typical reddit/forum advice on the matter. (like these reddit posts here  and here as well ) I've looked over kodi forum posts as well ,mostly from two years ago, just didn't have the links to  copy) 
  • Enabled on windows features, (SMB1 and the SMB 3 protocol, but I have since disabled SMB 1 due to the security issues pointed out herw) 
  • Net Bios on every TC/IP4 adapter on my computer
  • Created user account and shared the movie folder to that user, adding password protection to file sharing in my windows sharing settings 
  • Plex is setup and linked through Kodi through the official repo, but I want to access my computer through SMB rather than mess with Plex.  

When I mount the SMB folder on Solid Explorer, it works fine, using the login information for my user account/pw and my IP address.  Heck, it didn't even tell me to select a folder, browsing seemed to work fine on it.  

Which tells me, somehow, this is a Kodi problem, if my android file system is able to navigate through Window's 10 labyrinthine SMB protocol.  

I've trying adding a video source through SMB, which many posts point out is unreliable or impossible.  I try adding the IP address of my machine and i use the same path folder as shown in windows explorer for the network sharing folder (something like "\\DESKTOP-JohnDoe123\Movies".  I put in the user name and password correctly (remember they worked on the native android file browser).  However, I get the "Sharing not allowed."  For awhile I was getting "Invalid Argument" from Kodi, or when I try to connect to the folder I get "Unknown error 8216" 

I would really appreciate some direction in this.  

SMB 2 and SMB 3 are set as min/max for Kodi.  I've restarted both the Shield and my computer several times (I've been trying for over a week to figure this out) I'll upload some pics of my addon settings and windows PC to show what I've tried as well. (running 18.7 Kodi Lea)
What happens now when you do enable SMBv1 in Kodi?
(2020-08-11, 19:41)Klojum Wrote: What happens now when you do enable SMBv1 in Kodi?

I did it a couple of times but it didn't seem to make a difference.
(2020-08-11, 19:44)Blakestr Wrote:
(2020-08-11, 19:41)Klojum Wrote: What happens now when you do enable SMBv1 in Kodi?

I did it a couple of times but it didn't seem to make a difference.
Okay, so apparently, you ARE supposed to browse, but not for the SMB setting when adding a source, but you LEAVE YOUR FOLDER/PATH blank.  Then when you have added the source, it should connect and THEN you can select the folder to add as a source.
To maybe clarify a little, under SMB2 or SMB3 you cannot browse to locate a source like you can in SMB1. You need to enter its IP or similar address manually.

However once your connection is made to the source, it is usually possible to then browse within the source itself to locate the relevant share folder.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2020-08-11, 20:20)DarrenHill Wrote: To maybe clarify a little, under SMB2 or SMB3 you cannot browse to locate a source like you can in SMB1. You need to enter its IP or similar address manually.

However once your connection is made to the source, it is usually possible to then browse within the source itself to locate the relevant share folder.
Just for anyone else who googles and hopefully finds this - it wasn't clear (to me at least) that you have to leave the PATH BLANK!!!.  Once you put the IP address and basically your username and pw, and hit accept, it will allow you to browse and actually pick the folder.  Also for future reference - 9/10 if you get "invalid argument" it means you didn't share the folder correctly. (mine was not sharing it to that particular user, though I figured it out quick enough thankfully" 

Thank you for clarifying this!  You can browse SMB2/SMB3 only AFTER you have CONNECTED, NOT BEFORE ( as you said, like in SMB1)
Thread marked solved.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can't use SMB on Nvidia Shield TV but works on android file browser0