Please help me get smooth playback
Hi All,

Hoping someone (maybe an expert like @Milhouse) can help...

I have an old mini ITX GA-E350n system with 4gb of ram and built in Radeon HD 6310 that I have just updated to the latest libreelec (also tried Milhouse latest build) but I am no longer able to play files. The CPU is pegged at 100% on both cores. The files are only 1080p MKV h265 files that worked fine in Windows with Kodi or any other video player but now are stuttering/juddering like mad. Any ideas? Is there a specific build I need to use due to the older hardware or is there a new build that incorporates the drivers required for hardware decoding to work on this system? I assume that is the issue as under the information when playing a movie it says that the video decoder being used is ff-hevc (SW).

Many thanks in advance.
That gfx chip can't do hardware decoding of h265. There is nothing you can do to change that, other than getting a new card or remuxing all your stuff to something it can decode in hardware.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
(2020-09-17, 13:26)black_eagle Wrote: That gfx chip can't do hardware decoding of h265. There is nothing you can do to change that, other than getting a new card or remuxing all your stuff to something it can decode in hardware.

Thank you for your reply. Could you help me to understand why all the files playback perfectly when running Windows? Is it just a case that the drivers are better or is it something to do with directx?
(2020-09-17, 13:46)mbmapit Wrote: Thank you for your reply. Could you help me to understand why all the files playback perfectly when running Windows?

Apparently the Windows drivers are much more optimized for your AMD board.
Linux support for AMD hardware was not up to par for that chipset.
(2020-09-17, 15:28)Klojum Wrote:
(2020-09-17, 13:46)mbmapit Wrote: Thank you for your reply. Could you help me to understand why all the files playback perfectly when running Windows?

Thank you, I will convert everything over to h264 Sad
(2020-09-17, 17:43)mbmapit Wrote: Thank you, I will convert everything over to h264

That will not help the overall quality of h264 videos, unless you have insanely low h265 compression. Your h264 files may grow from 6 to 9 times in size.
Not to mention the time and power consumption it will take to go from h265 to h264. Any current simple Android Mediaplayer device should be able to play the h265 much better.
(2020-09-17, 15:28)Klojum Wrote:

Are you using the fglrx drivers or the ones included with libre elec?
Running Kodi on Arch 64bit Linux (Leia 18.9) ,  Android Nougat (Leia 18.9) CoreELEC (S905 community builds Leia 18.9)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Please help me get smooth playback0