Solved Scaling Problem with Kodi-Shield [Videos stretched out of screen]
Exclamation 
Hello everyone, I am facing a problem with Kodi Player stretching videos beyond TV screen. As soon as I play a video some parts are out of the screen limit
from the right and left side of the screen and are not visible in the screen. Also the seek bar from the player at the bottom is not showing and is also out of
the screen limit .

I run Kodi Leia 18.8 on Nvidia Shield 2017 version, connected to a 4K Samsung TV.
Here are my Settings:

Shield: Resoloution: 4K 59.940 Hz (Default)
Kodi:  Resolution:1920X1080p 59.94
Set GUI resoloution limit: Auto
Whitelist: All enabled
Player: Adjust display refresh rate: Always,
Sync playback to display: On

I have tried changing all these settings but whatever I do I can not get the right scaling when playing movies.

What I want to achieve is that Kodi plays all my movies in their original resolution a leave the up scaling to the TV.

The only way I was able to get the video scale correctly and not go out of the screen limit is by setting Kodi resoloution
to 3840X2160p and disable all the options in the whitelist (No whitelist). With this settings I think that Kodi will upscale
everything to 4K?!

Any help to understand and correctly setup my Kodi would be very appreciated.
If you connected your Shield to your TV for the first time, then you may have to adjust your TV's settings.
'Overscan' is the technical term, and it should be possible to disable it in your TV menu.
(2020-09-25, 21:09)Klojum Wrote: If you connected your Shield to your TV for the first time, then you may have to adjust your TV's settings.
'Overscan' is the technical term, and it should be possible to disable it in your TV menu.
Thanks a lot for your reply. I have already checked and I checked again now. My TV dose not have any such setting.
The options it's giving me in "picture size menu" are:

16:9  (default)
Wide Zoom
Zoom
4:3
Screen Fit

Screen fit seem to fix the overlap problem. But isn't 16:9 the right setting? In other words isn't "Screen fit" resizing a wrong
video size the TV is receiving and adapting it to the screen?
Any 4K TV should have some sort of setting for it.
Which exact TV (name, number, etc) do you have?

Screen fit sounds about right. It should display the Shields video output on a 1:1 aspect.
And thus also Kodi running on the Shield.
Reset any screen adjustments you already made in Kodi.
(2020-09-25, 21:37)Klojum Wrote: Any 4K TV should have some sort of setting for it.

Screen fit sounds about right. It should display the Shields video output on a 1:1 aspect.
It's a Samsung UE48HU7500 Model

When I reset the video resolution to default it goes back to 4K as default. I did that and went back to
1080p with all whitelists enabled again. No change!
Btw it's strange that no other video app including Streaming services require that I use Screen fit setting on my
Tv to work correctly!
Kodi is the only APP that changes resolution and refreshrate to match video. Means whenever it switches to a mode you normally don't use your TV setting gets changed. If you wnat "normal other modes behaviour" then disable Adjust Refreshrate to match video. But I don't think you want that.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2020-09-25, 22:18)fritsch Wrote: Kodi is the only APP that changes resolution and refreshrate to match video. Means whenever it switches to a mode you normally don't use your TV setting gets changed. If you wnat "normal other modes behaviour" then disable Adjust Refreshrate to match video. But I don't think you want that.
I use an app called auto-refresh-rate-tool on my shield. My other apps (Mycanal, Disney+, VLC palyer and even youtube) are set to change resolution and refresh rate depending on the media that is played
and non is behaving this way!
(2020-09-25, 21:37)Klojum Wrote: Any 4K TV should have some sort of setting for it.

Reset any screen adjustments you already made in Kodi.
Thanks a lot Klojum for taking the time to respond. your help is very appreciated. I did a search about what setting to use (16:9 vs Screen fit) on my Samsung TV.
As you mentioned rightly on Samsung TV's 16:9 causes overscan whereas "screen fit" is 1:1 pixel reproduction of the source material.
So in my case this is the setting I must use and this fixes the problem Smile
Thread marked solved.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Scaling Problem with Kodi-Shield [Videos stretched out of screen]0