• 36(current)
[RELEASE] Launcher - application launcher plugin for Linux, Mac, Windows, and Xbox
Hi, can anyone explain how to launch firefox (or other app) from XBMC using Linux? when i try to browse to select the app i can't see my system folders, only the home folder.

regards,
Hallo, i want to know the same as fidoboy. It looks its looked to the my homedir. Is there any way to say xbmc to allow access to the whole root fs ?
i just symlinked my firefox-bin to my media user homedir.

a question i have is regarding solving overscan problems with XBMC. i would like to run firefox using XBMC OpenGL display system with the applied video calibration settings. right now standard X display is running over the bounds of the LCD TV. any thoughts on this anyone?
arosequi Wrote:Using Launcher 1.02 on Ubuntu 9.04 (Aeon skin), I have no way to change the "Sort By" for my programs or files. It's stuck on "Sort By: Date", which is awful when trying to find a specific game. Any advice?

P.S. I see this same behavior when using PM3.HD.

I am having the exact same problem. I have tried other versions of Aeon and Project Mayhem all with the same result, stuck on sort by date. Agreed, real pain when attempting to find a game.
lkraav Wrote:a question i have is regarding solving overscan problems with XBMC. i would like to run firefox using XBMC OpenGL display system with the applied video calibration settings. right now standard X display is running over the bounds of the LCD TV. any thoughts on this anyone?

Indeed many people have this problem. I also had it with nVidia on Linux on a 42" plasma TV.
From what I all read about it:
* Windows: Use your nVidia system drivers to fix your overscan. It is included in their windows drivers.
* Linux: this overscan-feature is missing in their driver soft. Use xrandr to fix te problem, and launch the command that resets your resolution at startup time.
Though, left and right there is a small black vertical zone left.
* From the latest I've read about this, on many TV's you'll find a overscan setting to switch on or off. I also found it on mine, but didn't test it. (Panasonic plasma)

HTH
johan_tre Wrote:Indeed many people have this problem. I also had it with nVidia on Linux on a 42" plasma TV.
From what I all read about it:
* Windows: Use your nVidia system drivers to fix your overscan. It is included in their windows drivers.
* Linux: this overscan-feature is missing in their driver soft. Use xrandr to fix te problem, and launch the command that resets your resolution at startup time.
Though, left and right there is a small black vertical zone left.
* From the latest I've read about this, on many TV's you'll find a overscan setting to switch on or off. I also found it on mine, but didn't test it. (Panasonic plasma)
HTH

right. except that:

* i am not on nvidia, running intel x4500 (g41) graphics.
* xrandr doesnt help, no resolution higher than 1024x768 is shown without overscan. at least i have not found a modeline that is and i've tried 10s of them.
* my tv does not have any overscan adjustability unfortunately Sad

so unless an integrated web browser appears or i get a better TV, i think i'm S.O.L. right?
xbmc-pvr-ppa-odk68, Gentoo x86 3.0.7-pf, xorg-server-1.11.2, mesa-7.11, nvidia-drivers-290.10
agentgreen Wrote:Same thing happens to me, get some error about a 'skin'. Anyone else get this to work?

Same problem for me... Anyone ever find a solution?

I even tried pointing launcher toward a .bat file that then launched boxee and waited for it to finish:

boxee.bat--------
start /wait boxee.exe
-------------------

But that generated the same error, which makes 0 since.
im trying to add Firefox here, so i made a symlink from /usr/bin/firefox to /home/xbmc and then selected that from the launcher with an argument of -f for full screen, but when firefox is launched i get the "Launcher" msg window then firefox is opened on top of that, but i get no control on it and my system hangs, i.e i can not select neither firefox nor cancel from the behind it launcher window??
Question 
I've also firefox running using the launcher plugin, but now the problem is that the window is VERY small and i can't resize or use fullscreen on it (using ALT+TAB solves the problem to get control over the firefox window, but the window is very small with very large chars...)

NOTE: I'm using XBMC Live. What's the window manager included with this distro?

any ideas?
megacrypto Wrote:im trying to add Firefox here, so i made a symlink from /usr/bin/firefox to /home/xbmc and then selected that from the launcher with an argument of -f for full screen, but when firefox is launched i get the "Launcher" msg window then firefox is opened on top of that, but i get no control on it and my system hangs, i.e i can not select neither firefox nor cancel from the behind it launcher window??

I got it working, found the solution with some googling ... all i had to do is hit "\" to switch XBMC away from full screen and make my app in focus, after that all works Smile
I've found a method of launching from directories that contain spaces that works for me. Using latest build on XP.

I created a Shortcuts dir at the root of my drive containing a .bat file for each app that I want a launcher for.

To launch firefox I point Launcher at the following file:

D:\Shortcuts\firefox.bat

The contents of which are:

cd d:\program files\mozilla firefox\
start firefox.exe

Seems to work okay, I haven't tried any other apps/games or emulators yet though.
megacrypto Wrote:I got it working, found the solution with some googling ... all i had to do is hit "\" to switch XBMC away from full screen and make my app in focus, after that all works Smile

And there isn't a way to do the same using a script? How did you solved the big characters problem? how can i configure fluxbox to use my screen res?

regards,
megacrypto Wrote:I got it working, found the solution with some googling ... all i had to do is hit "\" to switch XBMC away from full screen and make my app in focus, after that all works Smile

look a few pages back,
... i found the http-api command to do this

im using an 'interceptor' script with the http-api command as the first & last line

this way launcher can automatically switch xbmc to windowed / launch <whatever> / switch back to full screen.

EDIT: Here is the post i'm refering to
rPi 2&3 | android phones | fireHD8 | linux | win10 + NFS NAS w/ mySQL + props to...
libreElecyatse, titan, AELflexGet, context.manageTags (a zosky original)
arosequi Wrote:Using Launcher 1.02 on Ubuntu 9.04 (Aeon skin), I have no way to change the "Sort By" for my programs or files. It's stuck on "Sort By: Date", which is awful when trying to find a specific game. Any advice? P.S. I see this same behavior when using PM3.HD.
SpazMonkey Wrote:I am having the exact same problem. I have tried other versions of Aeon and Project Mayhem all with the same result, stuck on sort by date. Agreed, real pain when attempting to find a game.

BUMP -- seeing the same thing
im using launcher 1.04 & media Steam Redux MOD.

this doesnt sound like it has much to do with the current skin
i've opened a bug on leo's google-code site,

hopefully he can help us get 'sort by name' working again
( we may need to report a bug ?)
rPi 2&3 | android phones | fireHD8 | linux | win10 + NFS NAS w/ mySQL + props to...
libreElecyatse, titan, AELflexGet, context.manageTags (a zosky original)
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, and I hate to sound like such a noob, but I can't get the Launcher to.... Launch.

I go through:

Programs -> Add Source -> Browse

I browse to XBMC/Plugins/Programs/Launcher, which is where I unzipped the stuff. I then hit "OK."

Now I'm back to Programs, with Launcher listed there.

I've right-clicked it, added it to favorites, and can pull it up in the Favorites menu from the main screen. So far, so good, right?

When I click on it, either through Programs or through Favorites, it doesn't launch anything. It just takes me back to the file browser, with the resources subfolder.

I'm on Ubuntu 8.10, running XBMC 8.10, SVN:16164

Any ideas?
  • 36(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] Launcher - application launcher plugin for Linux, Mac, Windows, and Xbox7