• 7(current)
[RELEASE] Launcher - application launcher plugin for Linux, Mac, Windows, and Xbox
micster Wrote:Hey elspero,
I noticed that darxide was also on windows and having an issue with the quotations effecting his ROMs from launching. I would try and remove the Launcher plugin entirely and all of the files it generated in your "UserData" folder, then reinstall the newest version.
Done, it doesn't work.

micster Wrote:If reinstalling the Launcher doesn't fix it, perhaps it has something to do with the way your emulator works and the ROMs it uses.
No, that's not the issue. It does it with every emulator. The only one I can see working without problems is MAME, because the roms don't have spaces in their name.

Windows needs quotes to make it work, example:
"D:\zsnesw\zsnesw.exe D:\zsnesw\GAMES\Rom Name.smc" would work
Ok, I found a solution, but I need someone to code it, because I can't understand how python works, lol.

The solution is simple: the filenames must be in DOS 8-characters format.
example:
If a rom is called "Wonderful Super World.smc", it should be renamed to: "WONDER~1.smc"
If I write that name in the launchers.xml file, it works, example:
Code:
<rom>
    <name>Wonderful Super World.smc</name>
    <filename>D:\zsnesw\ROMS\WONDER~1.smc</filename>
    <thumb></thumb>
</rom>

Of course it's not as simple as adding ~1 to a 6 characters filename.
If we have:
Wonderful Super World.smc
and
Wonderful Super World 2-incredible sequel.smc

in the same directory, then we will have:
WONDER~1.smc
WONDER~2.smc

What do we need? A command to extract the 8.3 filename from the fat.
From what I found on google you can do something like this in python:

import win32api
win32api.GetShortPathName('D:/folder/name of the file.ext')

As I said, I can't code in python, can anyone help?
darxide Wrote:Leo, Is there any way for you to add an option to put the between the executable path and the rom path? My sega Genisis emulator won't load roms because of that. The emu starts but the rom doesn't load.

It also does appear that elspero is correct too. (atleast in my case) with FCE it will load testme.nes fine but
test me.nes does not start the rom. the emu does open however.

Obviously I was wrong in the above post. because once I tried the same thing on my second pc it works fine. I have no idea whats different. the paths are the same and everything. Im gonna poke around and try to figure out.
darxide Wrote:I have no idea whats different. the paths are the same and everything. Im gonna poke around and try to figure out.

I am using a fresh-installed 32bit Win XP Pro SP2 + updates (including .NET 2.0), ntfs formatted partitions,what's your configuration?
my first box is sp2 not sue of .net vers
this box is sp3 .net 3.5
32 bit on both
If it's as simple as the Windows version needing quotes to work, then perhaps Leo2 could just add another "If statement" and check if we are using windows use quotes and if xbox don't use quotes.

What about this?
Quote:I tried to System.Exec in many variations but none of them worked.
I guess you'll have to use filenames without spaces.
perhaps someone from XBMC guys will be able to fix System.Exec to support quotations to separate arguments.

I'm not sure what's going on, when I get a chance I'll fire up my Windows installation and see if my ROMs play with the current version of Launcher.
Im not too sure where the problem lies with the quotes and spaces. here's why

on my 2nd computer "work" (don't tell my boss) everything runs as it should with spaces and without quotes. I edit the launchers.xml file tto contain quotes around the rom paths that contain spaces and it fails to launch the rom.

on my HTPC however it is the oposite it will not launch roms with spaces in the name, even with quotes around the rom path. I have updated to sp3 and .net 3.5 just to make sure both boxed have a level playing field.

I am going to try to reinstall launcher from svn to see if that helps.
elspero Wrote:Ok, I found a solution, but I need someone to code it, because I can't understand how python works, lol.

The solution is simple: the filenames must be in DOS 8-characters format.
example:
If a rom is called "Wonderful Super World.smc", it should be renamed to: "WONDER~1.smc"
If I write that name in the launchers.xml file, it works, example:
Code:
<rom>
    <name>Wonderful Super World.smc</name>
    <filename>D:\zsnesw\ROMS\WONDER~1.smc</filename>
    <thumb></thumb>
</rom>

Of course it's not as simple as adding ~1 to a 6 characters filename.
If we have:
Wonderful Super World.smc
and
Wonderful Super World 2-incredible sequel.smc

in the same directory, then we will have:
WONDER~1.smc
WONDER~2.smc

What do we need? A command to extract the 8.3 filename from the fat.
From what I found on google you can do something like this in python:

import win32api
win32api.GetShortPathName('D:/folder/name of the file.ext')

As I said, I can't code in python, can anyone help?

acceptable. please open an issue in: http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-launcher/issues/list with the full description of the solution and I'll try to add it.
Ahhhhh Haaaaaaaa!

I fixed it. at least mine. The issue ended up being XBMC. elspero what version of XBMC are you using? I updated from beta 2 to svn 15900 and everything works! here is a link to the build I used.

XBMC SVN rev15900: http://www.mediafire.com/?nf4tfynmzcm
I guess it is lucky that I was having issues with high CPU when XBMC was Idle because that is where I found the link.

@leo2
Is there a way for launcher to somehow cross reference MAME Rom file names with the MAME .XML file? That way when scanning the roms directory it can display the actual games name as opposed to the crappy file name.

as for the above post, Im not sure but I think the xbox doesn't support DOS 8 Character format. so if I'm right there would have to be 2 versions of launcher.
what platform is that link to?
For python coding questions first see http://mirrors.xbmc.org/docs/python-docs/
Nuka1195 Wrote:what platform is that link to?

windows
I am on latest SVN of linuxport and cannot get this running. It looks like most of the people here are on windows, is linux supported? This is what i tried:

I grabbed the latest launcher from svn put it in /.xbmc/plugins/programs/Launcher
Here's where I got lost:
Quote:3.2. Go to Games -> Applications -> Add Source -> Browse -> Program Plugins
There is no Games menu in the linuxport. I enabled the programs menu, but I dont think its implemented yet. I added /.xbmc/plugins/programs/Launcher as a source but it just kept browsing through directorys, the .py scripts were nowhere to be seen. I also tried to create a symlink under /.xbmc/scripts/My Scripts/ to the Launcher folder above. Launcher shows up under scripts now, but it runs for a second and stops. Debug info shows:

Quote:File "/home/trevor/.xbmc/scripts/My Scripts/Launcher/default.py", Line 20, in ?
plugin.Main()
File "/home/trevor/.xbmc/scripts/My Scripts/Launcher/resources/lib/launcher_plugin.py", Line 67, in __init__self._handle = int(sys.argv[ 1 ])
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'argv'

am i missing something?
The Games menu has nothing to do with the platform (Linux, Windows, or Xbox) it is something that is defined in the MC360 skin. Be sure you follow these instructions that were posted on page 1. Especially the linux specific command line stuff.
Quote:Installation:
1. unzip the file into Plugins/Program directory.
2. (linux users only): create a symlink for /usr/lib/libcurl.so.4 named /usr/lib/libcurl.so (run: "sudo ln -sf /usr/lib/libcurl.so.4 /usr/lib/libcurl.so" in terminal)
3. Run XBMC:
3.1. Switch to MC360 Skin (or some other skin that has "Programs" Section)
3.2. Go to Games -> Applications -> Add Source -> Browse -> Program Plugins
3.3. Select Launcher and Click "OK"
3.4. Click OK Again.
3.5. Right Click on "Launcher" Icon
3.6. Choose "Add to Favorites"
3.7. Switch back to PMIII Skin.
3.8. Click on the Arrow in the bottom right corner
3.9. Choose "Launcher"
Be sure to follow each step when setting up a new Launch item. For example:
For emulator you
  1. navigate to emulator executable
  2. define arguments (or leave blank)
  3. set the extension type (.zip .smc .nes) for the ROMs
  4. Define the directory for the ROMS
  5. Give the emulator a name
Maybe it got half way installed and choked, try reinstalling everything.
darxide Wrote:Ahhhhh Haaaaaaaa!
I fixed it. at least mine. The issue ended up being XBMC. elspero what version of XBMC are you using? I updated from beta 2 to svn 15900 and everything works! here is a link to the build I used.

XBMC SVN rev15900: http://www.mediafire.com/?nf4tfynmzcm
I guess it is lucky that I was having issues with high CPU when XBMC was Idle because that is where I found the link.
Thanks, I'll try that later in the day and report back.
micster Wrote:The Games menu has nothing to do with the platform (Linux, Windows, or Xbox) it is something that is defined in the MC360 skin. Be sure you follow these instructions that were posted on page 1. Especially the linux specific command line stuff.

Be sure to follow each step when setting up a new Launch item. For example:
For emulator you
  1. navigate to emulator executable
  2. define arguments (or leave blank)
  3. set the extension type (.zip .smc .nes) for the ROMs
  4. Define the directory for the ROMS
  5. Give the emulator a name
Maybe it got half way installed and choked, try reinstalling everything.

I'm not sure what your getting at here. I created the symlinks as stated in the first post but I cant even start the script. The programs menu wont find any .py files to execute, i can only run it through the scripts menu where it errors out.
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] Launcher - application launcher plugin for Linux, Mac, Windows, and Xbox7