• 42(current)
[RELEASE] Launcher - application launcher plugin for Linux, Mac, Windows, and Xbox
zosky Wrote:here's your <random incomprehensible linux talk> seems like this is a pretty common issue

i **think** its because the default implementation of live does not have a window-manager. something like ice or matchbox (as mentioned in that article) manages your windows... xbmc-live is designed to run 1 app therefore it doesnt need one (and has controls built in). the fox depends on a window manager to control its size, (on the other hand, most emu's also have rez controls).

installing a WM should let you manage it & 'maximize' / 'minimize'... but it may be easier to just install ubuntu desktop & run xbmc as an app

Thanks for your valuable suggestions! I managed to install "metacity" and start firefox using a script.

Code:
!/bin/bash
metacity &
devilspie
firefox
killall -9 metacity

Which is at least maximizing the Firefox window, but... yeah... same as above. Also tried to use "devilspie" to get my Firefox being resized when started, which did noting at all:

Code:
;Placed under "~./.devilspie/firefox.ds"
(if
    (and
        (matches (application-name) "^firefox-bin$")
        (matches (window-name) "^.*-.Mozilla.Firefox$")
    )
    (begin
        (geometry "300x600")
        (center)
    )
)

Steady, but slowly I'm drifting torwards a full blown GNOME install. I would hate me for that since I really (!!!) like the short bootup time and sleek construction of the "Live" system.
JustSomeUser Wrote:The problems with spaces seems related to this http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/7337

To fix it just open "XBMC\plugins\Programs\Launcher\resources\lib\launcher_plugin.py"

search for "def _run_launcher(self, launcherName)"
look for "xbmc.executebuiltin" and escape the quotes like this
Code:
xbmc.executebuiltin("%s(\\\"%s\\\" \\\"%s\\\")" % (cmd, launcher["application"], launcher["args"]))

repeat this for "def _run_rom(self, launcherName, romName)" (few lines below)
and save the file
now delete "XBMC\plugins\Programs\Launcher\resources\lib\launcher_plugin.pyo" and try it out.

Tested with Launcher 1.04 and XBMC 9.11-a2 on WinXP64

I did this and now the app starts ok but it seems arguments are not being passed.
anyone know how to fix the arguments aswell please? thanks!
(this was working fine before i upgraded from 9.10-pre to 9.11 final, with 9.11 the launcherv1.04 produces errors on paths with spaces e.g. "could not find "C:\Program ".). so i did the above and it now launches my player, but doesn't pass any command line arguments. i have no idea how to debug sorry :/
WinXP 32bit.
This plugin is a great idea, but I seem to be having an issue that no one else is having. When I launch and close the app it restores xbmc, but not full screen. I can still see the startmenu and xbmc is in a window. logs: http://pastebin.com/m398bf485

windows 7 x64
camelot
mediastream skin

any ideas?
Question 
CiXel Wrote:So here's a question.
I'm using a separate instance of launcher to run a specific file from the Main menu. I can get launcher to launch from the main menu successfully where it then takes me to the launcher window with 1 entry. What I'd like to do is have that 1 entry 'auto launch' to save a step.

I've tried looking in the laucher_plugin.py file for a place I could hard code this (such as the _run_launcher section) but I can't seem to get this to trigger right away.

Would anyone have an idea how I might go about this?

I have the same problem.
I'm using the Xperience skin that let's me post custom panels to the front of XBMC.
But going through the launcher is a two step process.
Click the panel then launch the program.
It would be nice if the launcher would auto-launch if only one program is specified in the XML.Shocked

Any chance you've figured this out?

XBMC 11: EDEN | XBMC | HDDVD+Blu-Ray ISO playback & Blu-ray player
PC - HTPC CASE: APEX DM-318 Black Steel MB: ASUS M3N78-EM/NVIDA8300 | CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ RAM: 2gb DDR2 1066
HD: 70gb(System) DVDROM: LG GGW-H20L Blu-Ray/HDDVD OS: Win7 | NAS: 3-terabytes(RAID 5)
most televisions overscan and don't do a 1:1 pixel map like a monitor would, so you end up with bits going off the edges of the screen. in linux, it is possible to configure your xorg.conf using custom modelines to get X11 to only display stuff within a certain boundary but its complicated. i did it a couple of years ago for my 720p HDTV but have since upgraded ubuntu and to be honest, i couldnt be bothered to go through the nightmare again once i realised my xorg.conf backup wasn't going to play nice. it took me days of messing.

i suggest installing the lightest window manager you can find that will allow you to create margins where a maximised window will not pass. openbox does this, and is far lighter than gnome and xfce, but there are others which may do it that are even lighter still, like wmii or awesome.

this is the default rc.xml settings file for openbox, with comments. if you ctrl+f and search for 'margins', you'll see that you can set pixel margins for top, bottom, left, right. when an app is maximised, these areas will be reserved and left untouched. should be fairly easy to match this to your televisions overscanning habits. if in xbmc you use -2%, just figure out what that is in pixels and start from there in your rc.xml.

once you've got openbox installed, if all you want to launch is firefox i guess the best thing to do would be to edit the openbox autostart.sh file and add firefox in there, then you can just launch openbox from xbmc. if you want to launch openbox and then firefox it may just be as simple as 'openbox-session & firefox' but i dont know.

another method to consider would be to write a shell script that does this:

Code:
openbox-session &
firefox;
killall openbox-session;

that way, you just need to exit firefox and openbox will shut down.

the commands are all untested, by the way. except for the margin stuff.
ethanmcdonald Wrote:It would be nice if the launcher would auto-launch if only one program is specified in the XML.Shocked

i've added a games|emu menu to confluence's home screen and hooked it into launcher.
i managed to launch an app (doom3) & open an emu rom window. check this post for deets.
rPi 2&3 | android phones | fireHD8 | linux | win10 + NFS NAS w/ mySQL + props to...
libreElecyatse, titan, AELflexGet, context.manageTags (a zosky original)
ethanmcdonald Wrote:I have the same problem.
I'm using the Xperience skin that let's me post custom panels to the front of XBMC.
But going through the launcher is a two step process.
Click the panel then launch the program.
It would be nice if the launcher would auto-launch if only one program is specified in the XML.Shocked

Any chance you've figured this out?

This is easy. You can link that custom button directly to the application you want to launch from launcher. You just need the name of the window in XBMC. If you add it to your favorites, and then open your favorites xml file, you will see ActivateWindow and you will see the launcher entry there.... then just replace the activatewindow command for your custom button in whatever xml file contains it.... I know not very clear, but you get me?

This is just an easy way to get the code for the activatewindow command... you don't have to leave it in your favourites
-nevermind-
Hi all,

I have and Acer Revo - Minimal Install of Ubuntu - XBMC Live.
I have set-up the Launcher Plug-in and have installed Firefox.
I have managed to open firefox sucessfully, (which used to open in the top left corner). I have dragged this to full screen and can control it by pressing the "\" key.

When Launcher opens Firefox through the VGA port Firefox looks great.
When Launcher opens Firefox through the HDMI port connected to my TV, Firefox looks like its using the wrong resolution (800x600) All the buttons are MASSIVE!Nerd.... Where as my XBMC is running in full resolution (1080*1900)

My question...
How can I change/increase the resolution of Firefox that has been opened via the Launcher Plugin?

Thanks
FreestylerCool
freestyler3000 Wrote:My question...
How can I change/increase the resolution of Firefox that has been opened via the Launcher Plugin?

for me; text in all apps was itti-bitty small (like 1px high). the fix was adding DPI to xorg.conf's Monitor Section. not sure if that i'll hit the mark for ya ? Oo

Code:
Option         "DPI" "100 x 100"
rPi 2&3 | android phones | fireHD8 | linux | win10 + NFS NAS w/ mySQL + props to...
Thanks zosky...

I will try to look in to your suggestions...

Thanks for the quick response.
Freestyler
Can anyone confirm whether launcher is still working on Mac? Unfortunately, it does not for me.
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
Thanks zosky... YOU THE MAN!!!!

That info worked a treat... (after days of messing around) inserted the line as instructed, rebooted, launched firefox and... at last some decent size buttons with normal resolution...

Thanks again,
Freestyler
your welcome freestyler3000

this may be a corner case, but im going to share in case any1 else is in the same boat... am using HDMI sound. the TV volume is at ~80% and this makes for great sound levels when xbmc's vol is around the same place. PROBLEM IS, all the EMUs are WAAAAY LOAD. (i've probably gone a little deaf from forgetting to turn down the TV before launching and i've woken up my flat-mate a few time now Confused )

here's how i've 'fixed' the volume issue Nerd

1. make a launcher.sh for leo's launcher
    adjust volume as you see fit
    Code:
    amixer -c 0 sset PCM,0 [color=Red]20%[/color]
    $@
    amixer -c 0 sset PCM,0 100%
  2. rejig <application> & <args> in each <launcher>
    within the ~/.xbmc/userdata/plugin_data/programs/Launcher/launchers.xml
    Code:
        <launcher>
            <name>SNES</name>
            <application>/path/to/launcher.sh</application>
            <args>zsnes -m -y</args>

as far as i can tell mupen64plus is the only 1 with its own built-in volume control. so i had to set that 1 back to 100. (~/.mupen64plus/jttl_audio.conf)
Hello! Firstly, thanks for the last thing XBMC needed for me to be perfect. I do have a slight problem.

I'm running Win 7 with two monitors, other a 24" acer screen, and the other a 32" Tv, on which I (obviously!) run XBMC. Now, being a huge retro-gaming nerd, but not always wanting to deal with the hassle of switching consoles and cartridges around, I like running them on the TV while relaxing on the sofa.
The problem I have with Launcher is that, in order for many of the emulators to run full-screen and nice, I need to switch the displays around, so that the TV is set primary on emulator launch, and back again after I quit. I'm using Ultramon , but it only works to my needs if I run the programs through a shortcut, for it to be able to switch the primaries and secondaries around.
So, is there a way to hook up a windows shortcut to be run through Launcher, not an .exe? Or is there another way to get it to switch the monitors?

Thanks in advance
<3 Narq
  • 42(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] Launcher - application launcher plugin for Linux, Mac, Windows, and Xbox7