Keystrokes via vnc connection classified as unknown by xbmc
I've just upgraded my xbmc on my gentoo box using emerge. I was hoping to discover that digital audio has been fixed for me, but I suddenly find myself unable to navigate with the keyboard. Turns out it's only a problem when i'm sending keyboard input through a vnc connection; using the actual keyboard works fine. Thing is, this used to work before the upgrade.

Here's what shows up in the log when a keystroke comes in over vnc:

11:40:23 T:1472268512 M: 23678976 DEBUG: SDLKeyboard found something unknown (unicode <> printable ASCII): scancode: 64, sym: 308, unicode: 0, modifier: 0

and here's what it says when i send it a keystroke from the actual keyboard:

11:40:41 T:1472268512 M: 24981504 DEBUG: OnKey: 61480 pressed, action is 4

Linux Distro: Gentoo 2.6.24 r7 x86_64
SVN Revision: (Using the instructions from the HOWTO, when i go to system info, it says "exported (Compiled: Aug 12 2008) and Build: is empty. Why doesn't this show an svn number? Don't I fetch the latest code and build it when I emerge? Perhaps I don't understand how this works, please feel free to enlighten me. Thanks)
The ebuild apparently uses svn export to download the sources. This gives you an unversioned snapshot of the repo, hence the "svnversion" command doesn't work correctly.

As for your completely unsupported means of controlling XBMC, you're going to have to figure out what exactly your VNC server IS sending out and map those appropriately with Xmodmap or similar. I'd hazard to guess something has changed with the VNC software or something else on system rather than XBMC as that code hasn't been touched in some time.
althekiller Wrote:The ebuild apparently uses svn export to download the sources. This gives you an unversioned snapshot of the repo, hence the "svnversion" command doesn't work correctly.

As for your completely unsupported means of controlling XBMC, you're going to have to figure out what exactly your VNC server IS sending out and map those appropriately with Xmodmap or similar. I'd hazard to guess something has changed with the VNC software or something else on system rather than XBMC as that code hasn't been touched in some time.

I know you will probably flame me, but I now see this same thing with the keyboard not working. I haven't changed VNC clients, etc. Just in case someone is checking that section of code, I can tell you it is now happening to me as well.

The keyboard works on Boxee as a test so not sure which version of XBMC they use as a back end.
It works over vnc to osx builds of xbmc at least.

I suggest you add some logging to SDLKeyboard.cpp to see if you can work out the difference between the two cases - duplicating the current logging should do the trick.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Are you still seeing this?

doesntcount Wrote:I've just upgraded my xbmc on my gentoo box using emerge. I was hoping to discover that digital audio has been fixed for me, but I suddenly find myself unable to navigate with the keyboard. Turns out it's only a problem when i'm sending keyboard input through a vnc connection; using the actual keyboard works fine. Thing is, this used to work before the upgrade.

Here's what shows up in the log when a keystroke comes in over vnc:

11:40:23 T:1472268512 M: 23678976 DEBUG: SDLKeyboard found something unknown (unicode <> printable ASCII): scancode: 64, sym: 308, unicode: 0, modifier: 0

and here's what it says when i send it a keystroke from the actual keyboard:

11:40:41 T:1472268512 M: 24981504 DEBUG: OnKey: 61480 pressed, action is 4

Linux Distro: Gentoo 2.6.24 r7 x86_64
SVN Revision: (Using the instructions from the HOWTO, when i go to system info, it says "exported (Compiled: Aug 12 2008) and Build: is empty. Why doesn't this show an svn number? Don't I fetch the latest code and build it when I emerge? Perhaps I don't understand how this works, please feel free to enlighten me. Thanks)
I've been distracted for a few days, I'm going to try to upgrade sometime this week and see if the problem still exists. If it does, I'll try getting down to the root problem.
Upgraded, problem went away. Thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Keystrokes via vnc connection classified as unknown by xbmc0