Backgrounds within movie-titled folders, possible?
Hey all!
I keep my movies organized using titles for folder names and keep a few things in them, for example:
\Titles\12 Monkeys (1995)\folder.jpg
\Titles\12 Monkeys (1995)\fanart.jpg
\Titles\12 Monkeys (1995)\Movie.avi (or occasionally a DVD folder)
\Titles\12 Monkeys (1995)\Trailer.mov

When browsing titles in the latest build of XBMC, "folder.jpg" gets served as the movie poster and "fanart.jpg" sets the browsing background (using latest Aeon skin build). This works well, but what I really want is "fanart.jpg" to be the background when I'm INSIDE the movie folder (and all I see is "Movie" and "Trailer," pretty much like a DVD menu).

Is this possible? (I don't want Library Mode as IMDB and I don't always agree about movie genres, and I also use Leopard Smart Searches to generate custom listings.) Thanks!!
- Phil
Hi there, and welcome.

Fanart is designed primarily for library mode. We do, however, set it in the thumb scanner, which is why you happen to get it in filemode. Just like thumbs, however, there is no inheritance from the folder level down to the file level.

When you are inside the folder you don't have the movie poster, correct? In the same way, you won't have fanart for the item.

You could workaround it if you like by adding symlinks from Movie-fanart.jpg to fanart.jpg and similarly from Movie.tbn to folder.jpg. This effectively gives the individual item the thumb and fanart as well as having it for the folder.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Thanks for the welcome and answer!

If I decided to go with Library mode, would I be able to show my custom fantart as the movie background? and keep the trailer linked somehow? (I can override the scraped genres using .nfo files, right?)

Thanks again!!
- Phil
You can override everything using an nfo file, but not selected things. i.e. you either have everything in the nfo file (nothing scraped), or you have nothing (everything scraped). Thumbs + fanart are separate - if you have them locally they'll be used, else they'll be scraped from the web.

Most skins that use fanart for movies (I think there's only Aeon + Mediastream released at this point that do so) do so in the library views.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Alrighty, I'm using Library mode from now on...things just work so much better and less overhead for me. Thanks for taking the time!
- Phil

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Backgrounds within movie-titled folders, possible?0