Sound no longer working
Tslayer its actually onboard, and i checked connections thing is i get sound on boot up of ubuntu and tested all sounds seems to work fine, im not sure what could have changed just did svn update. Here is a bit of my log file.
08:27:34 T:2835483536 M:2784493568 DEBUG: CDVDPlayerAudio:: Discontinuty - was:441394.970322, should be:464399.092971, error:23004.122649
08:27:34 T:2835483536 M:2784493568 ERROR: CALSADirectSound::AddPackets - sanity failed. no valid play handle!

Not sure what is going on
You know where to find me Smile

Ping me and we'll see about debugging this.

But, if you can revert back to the previous revision to see if works, then that will tell us whether something changed in XBMC.

TS
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Thanks TS im actually out the door so maybe tomorrow if you arent too busy laying around I mean working. Thanks again
When this happens, move /etc/init.d/alsa-utils to a backup folder somewhere else, and reboot.
Once you boot, copy it back to alsa-utils, run alsamixer to set up your audio again, and you should be good to go.

This happens to me frequently...
Hey Guys,

Not sure if these are all the same, but for me. I tried the .asoundrc file with no luck. my chipset is a Cmedia and on a X-plosion 7.1 card.

I just hit ctl-alt-f2 and ran alsa mixer and although the PCM output was not muted the Volume was set to zero. I turned up the volume on that channel and voila I have all my analog audio back as well as my DD and DTS pass-through.

This is with the Live Version on a Sancruiser 2Gb USB stick.

Dave
Yesterday I played a DVD via VLC after that my SP/DIF didn't work at all.
Also a reboot didn't help!

It's a Alsa Bug - I used the following solution (German link: http://www.ubuntu-forum.de/artikel/39221...-halb.html):
Code:
# rename /etc/init.d/alsa-utils
sudo mv /etc/init.d/alsa-utils /etc/init.d/alsa-utils.x
# reboot your system
reboot
# rename /etc/init.d/alsa-utils.x back to /etc/init.d/alsa-utils
sudo mv /etc/init.d/alsa-utils.x /etc/init.d/alsa-utils
#start the alsamixer and activate iec958 output
alsamixer

regards,
David
Hey guys, been using xbmc for a long long time, but this is the first time I have run into this....

I tried updating to 1-16-09 pimped and lost audio.

Volume level is up, check
switch from analog to digital, check
Deleted - oface stuff...

can't get it to work, I run spdif...

I found this through searching, don't know how to implement the fix, maybe you could help me....

Quote:# rename /etc/init.d/alsa-utils
# reboot your system
reboot
# rename /etc/init.d/alsa-utils.x back to /etc/init.d/alsa-utils
#start the alsamixer and activate iec958 output
alsamixer

TIA

Warp
hi, at first thanks alot for this 'ultrageile' software!!!!

Oo
but i'm having problems with sound, too
I've installed with howto - step by step xbmc on ubuntu 8.10..

when i try to play a divx movie, i have as 'user' no sound! menu sounds are ok on hdmi audio!!

there are no problems when i start xbmc under root, sound works!

Code:
sudo usermod -a -G audio nitroman

Code:
nitroman@vdr-desktop:~$ groups
nitroman adm dialout cdrom audio plugdev lpadmin admin sambashare

any suggestions?
Warpdrv Wrote:Hey guys, been using xbmc for a long long time, but this is the first time I have run into this....

I tried updating to 1-16-09 pimped and lost audio.

Volume level is up, check
switch from analog to digital, check
Deleted - oface stuff...

can't get it to work, I run spdif...

I found this through searching, don't know how to implement the fix, maybe you could help me....

TIA

Warp

this fix work for me every time Smile
first do this

Code:

then reboot you system
after reboot start alsamixer

Code:
alsamixer

if alsamixer gives just one slide for pulseaudio , quit it and start alsamixer like that

Code:
alsamixer -Dhw

and look for iec958 and activate it (press M once it is marked)

your sound should work now

move back init script
Code:

you are done
Im sorry guys.... I posted in the wrong area...

It was for my Xbox...

I fixed it...

Thanks
Oh God, after 5 days nearly throwing my computer through the window and two re-installs later I found this thread. My sound issues are all fixed. Stupid alsa bug and bumb me for not seeing an sticky thread!!! ;-)

Just wanted to say thanks to all! you just save me of yet another reinstall :-) Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just to add something useful to the thread this has happened to me in both my 32 and 64 ubuntu installs. So I guess both 32 and 64 alsa packages are hit by this. Btw, is there an alsa bug ticket for this problem I can follow?

regards,
Is there a file we can backup/restore when this issue occurs? I just had this happen to me today. The steps worked but I would like something more automated when it breaks.
Kodi: Shield Pro 2019
Storage: Synology DS2415+, DS1815+
HT: LG 65C9 OLED, Pioneer VSX-LX503
Speakers: ProAc Super Towers/front, ProAc EBT's/rear, Polk S35/center, SVS PB-2000 Subwoofer
Argh! This issue was so annoying! Glad the sticky post was here so I only wasted an hour - but man that is a weird bug. The sequence above fixed my problem - I am running SPDIF only and MP3s and the menu sounds were not working.

xnappo
xnappo: I also run spdif only, but i have xbmc audio out set to plughw:0,1 (which is my iec959 device) and passthrough set to iec958. That way incompatible samples (non 44.1/48Khz) get converted and sound plays also fine for youtube for example. ac3 goes directly through the iec958 device so it can be decoded by the avr.

i had that weird bug only once - and 'iecset audio on' fixed it for me.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Hi Guys

Did all the above suggestions but none worked. I have no sound in any part of the OS (including xbmc of course)...alsamixer shows the iec958 as unmuted and full volume. i think the alsa ver is 1.0.17..should i try an upgrade?
any ideas where to go next..?

thx

Zeltak

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sound no longer working2