What Hard Drive
Looking to replace my noisy old drive with a 1TB drive, any recomendatioins for a reliable quiet drive. Looking at a Samsung spinpoint are they any good?

Roy
wrong section and wrong forum btw Wink but i would go for a 1.5 samsung green .. seems to be the best deal for the price!
Yep samsung are very quiet and reliable.
Seagate Barracuda 1TB is very quiet. My WD Caviar is much louder.
i would suggest 2 500gb drives. i used to work at a computer store and we had some problems with the 1TB drives crashing. so thats just my 2 cents.
jrice219 Wrote:i would suggest 2 500gb drives. i used to work at a computer store and we had some problems with the 1TB drives crashing. so thats just my 2 cents.

I've got 4 x 1TB Samsung drives and haven't had any problems with them yet.
Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6822136317

I have 8 of these wonderful drives.

I just purchased the eight last week and I got it for 74$ Big Grin about once a month they have a deal. However the default 84$ price isn't bad either.

I've been buying this drive for the last 12 months. Everytime my current amount of TB fills ups I purchase a new one of these. They all are running strong. Matter of fact I've been purchasing Western Digital for 8 years and have only had 2 drives fail on me. I got tons of old pre-terabyte IDE/sata1.0 drives laying around.

Take note these drives don't make good main drives. They are "green" and don't spin as fast.
I have a bunch of Samsung, WD, and Seagates all 1-1.5TB drives. I like the Samsungs as they are super quiet and run cool. WD is good too if you get the green series. Seagates are fairly quiet but damn do they get hot.
krypt2nite Wrote:Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0

I just purchased the eight last week and I got it for 74$ Big Grin about once a month they have a deal. However the default 84$ price isn't bad either.

I've been buying this drive for the last 12 months. Everytime my current amount of TB fills ups I purchase a new one of these. They all are running strong. Matter of fact I've been purchasing Western Digital for 8 years and have only had 2 drives fail on me. I got tons of old pre-terabyte IDE/sata1.0 drives laying around.

Take note these drives don't make good main drives. They are "green" and don't spin as fast.

Another vote for these -- I have two 1TB installed plus another on the bench to be installed. Some people use these in combination with a westernd dig Black model, the black being much faster and thus reserved for the OS.
jrice219 Wrote:i would suggest 2 500gb drives. i used to work at a computer store and we had some problems with the 1TB drives crashing. so thats just my 2 cents.

That is absolute ****

I have over a dozen TB drives and not one failure.
i have 2 500gb seagates and a 120gbwd all are SATA.
I cant hear any of them at all over the fans on my 360 or my laptop.
htpc is set up behind the display.

Also, on the 500gb vs 1tb drive question, the only tb drives i have seen fail were a result of falls from greater than 3ft while operating (external drives that fell) i wouldnt worry too much about how sturdy they are go whatever direction gets you the cheapest perGB cost on storage.
mitul103 Wrote:I have a bunch of Samsung, WD, and Seagates all 1-1.5TB drives. I like the Samsungs as they are super quiet and run cool. WD is good too if you get the green series. Seagates are fairly quiet but damn do they get hot.

Agree'd one of my seagate older 500gb drives runs between 70 - 80 deg C!!!

Nuts considering the samsungs/hitachi drives run @ 30 - 35 deg C.
krypt2nite Wrote:Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0

I use these everywhere. 4 in my NAS and then as main drives in a couple of PC's. Can't say enough good things about them.

I think they are fine for your main OS drive on a HTPC, but would not recommend them for a gaming rig.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What Hard Drive0