Is This Wishful Thinking?
It looks like my Amazon Fire TV Gen 1 bit the dust last night.  I guess 2020 wasn't going out without throwing sand in my face one last time...

Anyway, it seems like the options for streaming devices are huge but the ones fitting my needs are slim.  Is there anything out there that fits the bill below?
  1. Supports the same Netflix app available on Amazon Fire TV devices
  2. Does NOT require a Google account
  3. Has a built in ethernet port
  4. Is open for sideloading apps
I really want to like the nVidia Shield but the Google account requirement is a dealbreaker for me.

I appreciate any help=)
FireTV 4K. You can buy a microUSB Ethernet connector. I think it passes all the checkboxes. But a recent firmware crippled audio pass through for Kodi. Otherwise it is still good. You can side load apps too.
(2021-01-01, 17:54)bunts Wrote: FireTV 4K. You can buy a microUSB Ethernet connector. I think it passes all the checkboxes. But a recent firmware crippled audio pass through for Kodi. Otherwise it is still good. You can side load apps too.

You may be right.  I've looked at the Fire Cube a few times but just wasn't impressed with it.  I may just have to bite the bullet, though.
Well my suggestion was more for a 4K stick. I don’t know if Cube gives you anything extra except more storage. Price difference is not justified.
Cube acts a bit faster, but has "funny" handshake-issues with AVR. Especially if you watch SDR content, colors get very reddish from time to time as the firmware bug wrongly uses a BT2020 transfer function for these BT709 / BT601 content.

I was very happy with the Firetv4K I had before I shot the cube. Though with latest firmware amazon killed DTS and DTS-HD-HR for everyone. With kodi's nightlies you still get AC3, DD+ if Passthrough is a requirement.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2021-01-02, 09:09)fritsch Wrote: Cube acts a bit faster, but has "funny" handshake-issues with AVR. Especially if you watch SDR content, colors get very reddish from time to time as the firmware bug wrongly uses a BT2020 transfer function for these BT709 / BT601 content.

Do you mean Rec 2020 colour gamut (i.e. RGB primaries) rather than transfer function ? (Rec 2100 defines two HDR standards - both using Rec 2020 gamut but with two different pairs of EOTF and OETF - Transfer functions - PQ and HLG)

The Rec 2020 colour gamut is used for content used with multiple EOTFs (electro optical transfer functions) - such as BT.1886 (the EOTF defined for SDR), ST.2084 (the PQ Perceptive Quantisation EOTF used by HDR10, HDR10+ and Dolby Vision), ARIB STD-B67 (the EOTF used in HLG - Hybrid Log Gamma). Rec 2020 may also be used, I think, with the same EOTF as is loosely defined for Rec 601 and Rec 709 content originally - a power-law gamma of around 2.2-2.4?

Rec 2020, Rec 709, 525/480i Rec 601 and 625/576i ITU Rec 601 all have different colour gamuts (Rec 601 has different primaries in 525 and 625 land) - and Rec 2020, Rec 709 and Rec 601 all have different colour space matrix mappings between RGB and YCbCr (aka YUV)
Yeah, the combination that makes sense in this regard :-) (or in amazon case makes no sense).
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2021-01-02, 06:05)bunts Wrote: Well my suggestion was more for a 4K stick. I don’t know if Cube gives you anything extra except more storage. Price difference is not justified.
Oh, I misread your post.  I totally agree about the Cube not being justified for the price they are charging.  I might pick up the Firestick from BestBuy and test it out today.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is This Wishful Thinking?0