Nvidia Shield 2019 vs Coreelec - audio passthrough quality
Hello,
I was using Minix U1 with Coreelec for some time, very happy with Kodi overall – everything worked fine. However, I needed one box to do it all, so I bought Shield 2019.
It has user friendly interface (android TV) with all apps I use – youtube, netflix, spotify, twitch, Skylink (my local IPTV) + nvidia games and working steam link (streaming from my PC).
I understand that most of that (except certified netflix) you can have with Kodi as addons, but user experience is completely different, specially considering I have wife and also small kid.
Also Kodi on Shield works perfectly, frankly I can’t see any difference to Coreelec Amlogic Kodi and Shield Kodi. They both just work... at least that’s what I thought.
Recently I had a discussion with other experienced user, who told me that he made some measurements (with special device) of sound quality when using RAW passthrough of DTS HD MA and Dolby True HD.
His result was, that Coreelec quality was much better, he said something that Android is doing some heavy compression or sound frequency adjustment.
I am not sure, what to believe, I don’t have Coreelec box anymore, difficult to make head to head comparison. Shield sounds pretty good to me, I can’t complain. I have 7.1 setup with Onkyo receiver and pretty decent speakers and subwoofer. When I check Kodi codec data during playback, there are 8 RAW channels and my Onkyo shows audio stream properly (DTS HDMA or Dolby TrueHD).

Is it actually possible to do some sound quality adjustment, if we are talking about RAW passthrough ? RAW is RAW, Kodi is just sending audio data as it is and all processing is done by receiver. Am I missing something here ?
Thank you for any comment, I just want to be sure I have best audio possible :-)
Quote:Recently I had a discussion with other experienced user, who told me that he made some measurements (with special device) of sound quality when using RAW passthrough of DTS HD MA and Dolby True HD.
His result was, that Coreelec quality was much better, he said something that Android is doing some heavy compression or sound frequency adjustment.

This is most likely bullshit. In both cases (Shield kodi v18) and CoreElec (which uses the ALSA sink of kodi), kodi's IEC packer is used and the very same data is sent towards the AVR. It's impossible to alter the data in this IEC packet form without decoding and reencoding it on the fly. Similar to Linux, Android has an IEC format, which just forwards IEC frames, which kodi creates.

Was that guy perhaps someone who suggested you to buy a CoreElec device?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
No, not really, he didn't want to sell new player to me, I don't think I will get rid of my Shield 2019 any time soon. I just want to be sure, that my understanding of (Kodi) audio passthrough is correct. It is that audio quality depends ONLY on AVR and speakers quality. And player has nothing to do with it.
Passthrough is passthrough w/o any processing, so audio quality sound be the same. I have CoreELEC, Vero 4K+ and nVidia Shield and bitstreamed audio sounds the same across all.
(2021-01-05, 20:54)hdmkv Wrote: Passthrough is passthrough w/o any processing, so audio quality sound be the same. I have CoreELEC, Vero 4K+ and nVidia Shield and bitstreamed audio sounds the same across all.

Yep - passing through a compressed bitstream is just that - passing it through.  You will find some HiFi buffs then talking about jitter, power supplies etc. (What always makes me laugh is that none of this 'HiFi buff' stuff goes on in broadcast areas that produce very high quality recordings and live broadcasts... Just proper electronic engineering, acoustic modelling and expertise...)
In Germany we have a saying: Every day a dumb guy wakes up, you only have to find him and sell him what he wants.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2021-01-07, 23:52)fritsch Wrote: In Germany we have a saying: Every day a dumb guy wakes up, you only have to find him and sell him what he wants.

Oh don't forget to sell him the cable lifters for keeping those cables off the floor. Smile Cable Risers
I found proper cables for those risers :-)
http://www.stealthaudiocables.com/pricing/

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Nvidia Shield 2019 vs Coreelec - audio passthrough quality0