[Apple TV] Optimizing video playback performance
mastiha Wrote:The file is over 4GB.

How would I extract a sample from it?

"man split" for osx/linux, split it into 200MB chunks, when the first chunk is done, control-c out. PM me for the address of provate ftp server.
i had some similar problems and i played with the "Interlace funtion" when my movie started, set it to "use these setting for all movies" and so far i have had better performance
davilla Wrote:"man split" for osx/linux, split it into 200MB chunks, when the first chunk is done, control-c out. PM me for the address of provate ftp server.

I'm runnng a windows environment.
mastiha Wrote:I'm runnng a windows environment.

On the command-line copy (not move) the file to another name, control-c after a few minutes. dir to check the size. If too big, then do it again but control-c sooner.
For come reason, whenever I press control-c it stops but then also removes the incomplete file.
mastiha Wrote:For come reason, whenever I press control-c it stops but then also removes the incomplete file.

I swear, Windows is such a stupid OS. Check for a PM.
@mastiha ->

The sample you uploaded is a rip from a blueray disk (from it's title)

Under my MacBook (2GHz Core2 Duo), this is running at 70-90 percent cpu (one core) with bit-rates in the 7-9MBit range. This MacBook is 4 times faster than the AppleTV (1 GHz, single core). So a good rule of thumb is 50 percent. Skiploopfilter can help if you are in the 65-70 percent level on this class of MacBook.

dca 48KHz, 5.1
h264, yuv420p, 1280x688 PAR 1:1 DAR 80:43

This crashes XBMC on my AppleTV running close to current svn in postProcess_MMX2 with skiploopfilter set to 48 or 8. Interesting result that I will track down later.

Boxee can play it but skips as decoding cannot keep up with display.

The cpu resources required are just too much for the AppleTV to play. Transcode or try to find a version that uses a lower profile h264 flavor.
Ok.

Looks like I'll have to stick with the popcorn hour for the time being to play these files.
tyche Wrote:i use a Readynas as well. Some others don't seem to have problems with smb but maybe the Readynas isn't the best for that protocol. When I first set up smb connections, it wasn't very good. There was a long "buffering" delay at the start and lots of stuttering. I simply enabled nfs on the readynas share and changed to nfs mounts on the apple tv. It worked so well, I just kept it and moved on. The only problem I have is if the atv reboots, I need to ssh and set my mounts again. So far I've had no luck getting them to automount. The machine rarely need to be restarted though.

I followed the steps at awkwardtv to set up nfs. Then I use mount_nfs to mount the readynas share on a local directory: eg. mount_nfs readynas:/library /Users/frontrow/Movies. Then in XBMC, just add your source as /Users/frontrow/Movies.

Put the mount_nfs command in /etc/rc.local and it will run at startup.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Apple TV] Optimizing video playback performance0