Problem with Apple Remote on Atlantis and SVN
Hello everyone.

Up untill recently I've used XBMC on my old xbox, and I've enjoyed it alot. However I've been forced to change platform since the xbox hardware lacks in it's performance to play back HD x264. I've had Boxee installed on my Mac Mini and it's been working pretty good(considering the alpha stage) with Apple Remote and everything. However today I ran into a problem, playing from RAR files from an SMB mount and therefore I changed back to XBMC.

To begin with I removed boxee, including all plist files and libraries. I installed the Atlantis version and put it up on my big LCD. It was gorgeous as always, however the Apple Remote didnt work withing XBMC. It only corresponded to OSX and Front Row. I tried entering system settings and enabled the "Always Running" option, but as I did XBMC just crashed. No error from OS X, nothing.

I thought it might be a problem with the new Atlantis version, so I installed the SVN instead. Same problem. I also tried on both my macbook pro and my imac - same same.

Please help me and thanks in advance.
/Rasmus
The alpha3 release is missing XBMCHelper which handles the Apple IR remote. This will defiantly be fixed in the next alpha. If you can hold off for a day or so, we are discussing the best method to fix this for the alpha3.
fixed in svn, see Ticket #4575 and Ticket #4570. You can get the new XBMCHelper at http://forum.awkwardtv.org/download/file.php?id=70. A new XBMC.app that fixed the auto-launch might have to wait for alpha4.
davilla Wrote:fixed in svn, see Ticket #4575 and Ticket #4570. You can get the new XBMCHelper at http://forum.awkwardtv.org/download/file.php?id=70. A new XBMC.app that fixed the auto-launch might have to wait for alpha4.

Help me out please. My remote is not working anymore. Understand that this is a bug in the alpha3 release. have downloaded the file indicated above and dont know where to put it and whether i need to do anything else to get it working?
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
Need to wait for alpha4 release in a few days. It will fix the Apple IR remote issues. The fix for alpha3 is complicated and does not address an remote issue inside in the XBMC binary.
davilla Wrote:Need to wait for alpha4 release in a few days. It will fix the Apple IR remote issues. The fix for alpha3 is complicated and does not address an remote issue inside in the XBMC binary.

Thanks for your message. No prob to wait until alpha4. If you have a chance can you please let me know what is the easiest way to upgrade XBMC as well as Mediastream. So far, I have always done a clean install (delete everything and then install the new version), but this requires me to redo all preferences. I am sure that there is a smarter way. In Wiki/others, I can only find a description for the XBOX.
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
You should be able to keep the prefs in ~/lib..../XBMC BUT since this is an area that has been addressed in alpha4, I would recommend starting from scratch. It should be the last time you have to do this Wink
davilla Wrote:You should be able to keep the prefs in ~/lib..../XBMC BUT since this is an area that has been addressed in alpha4, I would recommend starting from scratch. It should be the last time you have to do this Wink

Terrific. Many thanks!!! Waiting for the alpha4 release then!!!
I've updated to Atlantis A. 4 and i still cannot get this to work, the remote does indeed work now, and it does not crash when i check off always on. But i still cannot launch xbmc from the desktop, it just doesnt do anything. I have no other applications that affect the remote in any way and if i check off always on it launches front row perfectly.
bnaert Wrote:I've updated to Atlantis A. 4 and i still cannot get this to work, the remote does indeed work now, and it does not crash when i check off always on. But i still cannot launch xbmc from the desktop, it just doesnt do anything. I have no other applications that affect the remote in any way and if i check off always on it launches front row perfectly.

So Apple IR remote works in XBMC for Mac alpha4 but Apple IR remote does not launch XBMC for Mac if it not running. Sound like we have make progress from alpha3, just need to track down the IR launching issue. Please file a ticket on this. Thanks.
Actually, in Alpha 4 this issue might be related to the fact that the application in the package is named 'XBMC Media Center'. Try renaming it to 'XBMC' and see if that fixes it.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Please read and follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, please make sure you read this first.

That doesnt seem to work either, are there any more files other than the .app that would need renaming?

And sorry davilla but i've been an avid user of the xbox version but have never participated in bug reports, so i haven't the slightest clue of how to submit a ticket.
xbmc.org/trac

Login using your forum details + click on New Ticket.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

davilla Wrote:You should be able to keep the prefs in ~/lib..../XBMC BUT since this is an area that has been addressed in alpha4, I would recommend starting from scratch. It should be the last time you have to do this Wink

Davilla, just saw the aweseom news that Beta-1 has been released!!! Quick question: is it now possible to install it "over" the alpha-4 without doing a fresh and full uninstall and install. What is the easiest way to do it (to secure everything including the skin gets updated). Many thanks!!!

Cheers
steve1977 Wrote:Davilla, just saw the aweseom news that Beta-1 has been released!!! Quick question: is it now possible to install it "over" the alpha-4 without doing a fresh and full uninstall and install. What is the easiest way to do it (to secure everything including the skin gets updated). Many thanks!!!

I would make a copy of ~/Library/Application\ Support/XBMC just in case it does something goes wrong.

Also, after moving to beta1 you can remove Library/Application\ Support/XBMC as it's not referenced anymore. Everything is inside XBMC.app now.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problem with Apple Remote on Atlantis and SVN0