Problem with Apple Remote on Atlantis and SVN
davilla Wrote:For those having problems with the Apple IR remote Here is an URL to a replacement XBMCHelper that you can try.

http://code.google.com/p/atv-xbmc-launch...XBMCHelper

This replaces

/Applications/XBMC.app/Contents/Resources/XBMC/XBMCHelper

depending on your download method, you might have to

"chmod +x XBMCHelper" to make it executable.

Thanks, would be great if this gets RB/SC back working. Dont find the download link under the URL above. Do I need to join the group to find the link?
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
steve1977 Wrote:Thanks, would be great if this gets RB/SC back working. Dont find the download link under the URL above. Do I need to join the group to find the link?

Let me try again Wink

http://atv-xbmc-launcher.googlecode.com/...XBMCHelper
davilla Wrote:Let me try again Wink

http://atv-xbmc-launcher.googlecode.com/...XBMCHelper

Works perfectly now!!! Thanks.
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
I've now got XBMCHelper running (thanks BTW) but when playing back media, I can't play/pause/stop etc properly. Directions and Select in other windows are OK but pressing play/pause/stop etc during media playback does one of 2 things: if using my Harmony in Activity mode (based on Harmony setup instructions here on the forum with sequences etc), then play/pause etc skips forward and back instead of the correct action. If using my Harmony as an Apple remote device, then play/pause/stop toggles the various video size/aspect ratio modes.

I'm obviously not understanding some fundamentals here re. remotes and XBMC. Can someone post or email me their keymap.xml file and/or advancedsettings.xml file and pls tell me where these are supposed to be placed i.e. within the app package (/xbmc.app/contents/resources/userdata) or in the /library/application support/xbmc/userdata folder. I'm really confused!

First of all, am I supposed to add AppleRemote commands to the keymap.xml file? I notice that the Plex keymap.xml comes with AppleRemote commands pre-programmed. Is this where I'm going wrong?

Sorry for all the mucking around......I'm normally very switched-on with stuff like this but I just can't get this to work for me.
Using the new XBMCHelper, I'm still having the same issue with Harmony Sequences. In the past a rapid key sequence of Menu>Up>Up would be interpreted as "play". Now it is taken as the literal Menu Up and Up, which just skips forward in the file.
What I would like to find out is whether or not this is working for anybody in B1.
Devs must build an Infrared Keyboard Emulator and implement it on XBMC in order to make it work.

The good news is there is an open source of an Infrared Keyboard Emulator @ http://www.brandon-holland.com/irkeyboardemu.html
dafranca Wrote:Devs must build an Infrared Keyboard Emulator and implement it on XBMC in order to make it work.

The good news is there is an open source of an Infrared Keyboard Emulator @ http://www.brandon-holland.com/irkeyboardemu.html

isnt that emulator the wrong way round? we want a way to issue keyboard commands via the IR port, not use a keyboard to issue the IR remote commands (with its limited button support)Sad
In the absence of press and hold on the Apple TV remote buttons in XBMC at the moment, I was thinking of making a keymap.xml file to do some of the basic functions that I need.
(for example, at the moment there seems to be no 'stop').

Anyway, I have looked at http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Keymap.xml but can't see 2 things...

1) What do we refer to the Apple TV remote as?
The wiki refers to 'gamepad' 'remote' 'keyboard' and 'universalremote'.
As far as the Apple TV remote is concerned, what section would it be?
(how does xbmc see it?)

2) I can't find a sample keymap.xml (yet), so wanted to check a few things...
I would like to have different functions depending on where you are (it would seem this is possible, but I can't be sure as yet).

I would like in menus, as it is at the moment, (up, down, left, right, play) except 'menu' to go back one step instead of going all the way back to the main menu. (ideally when press and hold is sorted, menu to go back one step, press and hold menu to go all the way back).

When playing video....

Remote - Function
Play - play/pause
Menu - bring up menu
left - back 30 seconds
right - forward 30 seconds
+ - forward 10 minutes
- - stop
(or + to bring up the slider if possible, then use left and right to move along the slider, play to select the position)

When the video is playing and the menu button has been pressed, the remote would then need to go back to up, down, left, right etc.

I think this is probably doable, just need to be pointed in the right direction.
Quote:1) What do we refer to the Apple TV remote as?
The wiki refers to 'gamepad' 'remote' 'keyboard' and 'universalremote'.
As far as the Apple TV remote is concerned, what section would it be?
(how does xbmc see it?)
Those would be the <remote> sections. However not all commands in the section apply to the Apple Remote. The Apple Remote only uses a subset of the commands listed. Also note that keymaps can be overridden for specific windows (like Video OSD, etc), so in addition to the global <remote> section, look for others.

Quote:2) I can't find a sample keymap.xml (yet), so wanted to check a few things...
I would like to have different functions depending on where you are (it would seem this is possible, but I can't be sure as yet).
You can find the default Keymap.xml in the app bundle (XBMC.app/Contents/Resources/XBMC/system/Keymap.xml)

Since Beta 1, there have been numerous improvements to the keymapping, including more intuitive controls during video playback.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Please read and follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, please make sure you read this first.

Thanks for that, I'm on the right track now, getting somewhere.
I'm sure the next update will be a lot better, just want to get something up and running now.
Ok, I have made a quick and dirty change to the Keymap.xml file.
It now does this....

In menus, as it is at the moment, (up, down, left, right, play) except 'menu' to go back one step instead of going all the way back to the main menu.

When playing video....
Remote - Function
Play - play/pause
Menu - bring up menu
left - back 30 seconds
+ - forward 10 minutes
- - stop

If you want to try it...
edit - see next post
Backup existing file first.

Otherwise wait for official one (next beta?) which I am positive will be a lot better, this just got me around some small issues I had with the current mapping.
Ok, after playing a bit with it, found a few little issues - most notably no way to exit the video calibration screen....

So have tweaked it a little more, I still don't know all the button presses, I have worked out a few but not all, but I will play some more later.

Anyway, the update is available at http://www.savefile.com/files/1811889

On this one,

Video Calibration
----------------------------
To exit, press and hold Menu

Playing Music
----------------------------
press and hold Menu to bring up player controls
(menu once to remove)

Full screen video
-----------------------------
Press and hold 'menu' to bring up controls (to make the same as when playing music)
Press 'menu' to bring up movie information.
Play - play/pause
left - back 30 seconds
+ - forward 10 minutes
- - stop

edit - also P&H of 'Menu' when in screens that menu won't take you out of (such as "Settings") will take you back as well.

I found that press and hold on menu does actually do something different (as you can see from above).
I haven't found if press and hold of the other keys does anything, but this is what I have found so far if anyone else wants to have a bash as well...

Apple TV Remote - XBMC label Function
--------------------------------
Menu - Menu
Play/Pause - Select or Enter
Menu (P&H) - Back
+ - Up
- - Down
Left - Left
Right - Right

(P&H) means "Press and Hold"
yzeyze, could you create a Patch ticket on Trac and attach your updated Keymap uncompressed to it, so that it is easier to keep track of. It would also be easier for us to check out.

If it works well and is more intuitive than the current implementation (which it definitely sounds like it is), then we can incorporate your updates into the default Keymap.

Thanks.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Please read and follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, please make sure you read this first.

Ok, thanks have just added it, hopefully I did it correctly....
Ticket 5018 - hopefully you guys can make it better. - so far I've only played with the things I needed.

p.s. If running slideshow for screensaver, press and hold menu will get you out of that as well.
I still can't get XBMCHelper working with Atlantis Beta 2. XBMC doesn't run the helper when I check "Always Run", and when I manually run the helper in the terminal and press Menu on my apple remote, it says "The file /Applications/XBMC.app/XBMC does not exist." Where is the preference that stores the location of the XBMC executable? org.xbmc.helper.plist doesn't seem to help.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problem with Apple Remote on Atlantis and SVN0