Get Kodi running on Apple M1 Silicon with Windows for ARM
we are now producing arm nightlies of v20: https://mirrors.kodi.tv/nightlies/osx/arm64/master/
(2022-06-04, 09:26)kambala Wrote: we are now producing arm nightlies of v20: https://mirrors.kodi.tv/nightlies/osx/arm64/master/

Trying kodi-20220604-eeccfe85-master-66-arm64.dmg on a MacBook Pro 14", latest Monterey release.

(edit: adding which build is tested here. There's only the one there today, but we should start with good habits about that...)

On open, went to a black screen, in its own space. Momentary flicker of a UI, then black. Using arrow keys, could hear UI sounds. Tried clearing pre-existing Kodi state from my earlier attempt to build: Didn't help. (That is, removed ~/.kodi and ~/Library/Application Support/Kodi, both of which existed after the earlier effort.)

Could use backslash to go to windowed mode, UI is visible, not in a window, in black screen in bottom-left quadrant of screen, then back again, UI remains visible now.

In what it thinks is windowed mode (according to Kodi system prefs) is full-screen in its own space, but scaled down small, slightly less than 50%. After first appearing in bottom left, settles into the middle of this screen.

In what it thinks is full-screen mode, takes up whole screen area but partially obscured behind menubar. Not in its own space, it appears to be in a window on the main desktop but forced to fill the whole screen and with no accessible window decorations.

So those seem both the wrong way around and each broken anyway. 😀 The obviously desirable behaviour is that full-screen is in its own full-screen space, with no menubar visible until/unless you move the mouse pointer to the top. (On a Mac with a notch, the "full screen" here does not include the menubar area with notch, which I understand is default behaviour if you just let windows behave the default way.) And windowed mode would at least give you a window the position and size of which you could have some control over. And in that order of priority, Kodi being what it's for, the full-screen behaviour is the more important.

Perhaps if it could just be a macOS window at all times, with its content scaled to fit, and entirely default macOS app behaviour regarding going full-screen?

PVR addons are missing. I guess I wasn't missing something obvious when I failed to get those to work before. 😀

So in all, it seems to be a bit worse than it was when I tried building from fuzzard's fork in December, when full-screen behaviour seemed to be OK. 😀 otoh then I was using an external monitor (I specifically said I hadn't tested on a screen with a notch) and now I'm on the laptop's own monitor. I will try it on an external monitor too later.
I got to a monitor and had a slightly better experience.

The Monitor was a Studio Display...

I think as I'd last quit when it was in (or at least thought it was in) windowed mode. When I started, it started up in actual windowed mode (tiny, but with working decorations) and seemed fine (though tiny).

I then maximised the window in the normal way (clicking the green maximise button in window decorations), and it went to its own-space full-screen exactly as I'd want and looked basically OK. Although, going to system, it told me it was full-screen at 2560x1440, which I could believe. (Individual pixels in text in the UI are clearly visible.)

I tried telling it to go to the full 5K resolution. That worked, and looked great. But on quitting and restarting, the full-screen ui (including the splash screen) came up shifted halfway down the screen. Going to windowed and quitting and restarting got me back to the same state as described above. (ie: starts in a tiny window, maximising goes full-screen in 1440p, not "looks like 1440 but actually 5K" but actually 1440p.)

I've yet to attempt playing any video; this is all UI stuff... Did notice in fact there are no pre-installed addons at all, it's not just the PVR ones that are missing. (That said I can't remember if any others *should* be preinstalled.) Of course the PVR ones aren't available to download...
the ARM build uses native windowing system (which is somewhere in beta stage) as opposed to the Intel build with SDL windowing system.

nightly builds for both platforms contain only peripheral.joystick add-on as far as I can see: https://jenkins.kodi.tv/job/OSX-ARM64/66/

ARM builds are not production-ready Smile more for beta-testing.
(2022-06-04, 14:57)kambala Wrote: the ARM build uses native windowing system (which is somewhere in beta stage) as opposed to the Intel build with SDL windowing system.

nightly builds for both platforms contain only peripheral.joystick add-on as far as I can see: https://jenkins.kodi.tv/job/OSX-ARM64/66/

ARM builds are not production-ready Smile more for beta-testing.

I know it's not production ready. That's why I'm testing and reporting what I see. 😛
Sorry for stealing the thread, but just installed Kodi on my M1 Mac mini and it starts fine. But I am unable to connect to an SMB file share with videos that I have. I only get the error "Operation not permitted". Is this a known missing feature or do I have to do anything special to enable connecting to SMB shares from Kodi?

Thanks!

///DM
(2022-07-26, 14:03)DarkMarc Wrote: Sorry for stealing the thread, but just installed Kodi on my M1 Mac mini and it starts fine. But I am unable to connect to an SMB file share with videos that I have. I only get the error "Operation not permitted". Is this a known missing feature or do I have to do anything special to enable connecting to SMB shares from Kodi?

Thanks!

///DM

Solved it myself. Forgot to use "Add network location"... *blush*

Now I only need to remember how to add the rar add-on...
(2022-07-26, 14:18)DarkMarc Wrote:
(2022-07-26, 14:03)DarkMarc Wrote: Sorry for stealing the thread, but just installed Kodi on my M1 Mac mini and it starts fine. But I am unable to connect to an SMB file share with videos that I have. I only get the error "Operation not permitted". Is this a known missing feature or do I have to do anything special to enable connecting to SMB shares from Kodi?

Thanks!

///DM

Solved it myself. Forgot to use "Add network location"... *blush*

Now I only need to remember how to add the rar add-on...
From what I can find, there are no VFS add-ons available (yet) for OSX/arm64. Anyone who knows if/when this will be available?

///DM
it is possible install pvr addons? thank you
nope
Do macOS versions of Kodi now support HDR?
No.
(2023-03-08, 02:44)Fuzzard Wrote: No.

Thank you for the quick reply. I was reading this thread and wasn’t sure if I had missed something but I guess OP just means that the HDR videos work and playback works on Mac Mini in OSX and not that they actually trigger HDR on the TV.
I installed Kodi 20.2 on a Mac running Ventura 13.3.1 and tried to set it up by saving the nfo files to the external hard disk and then running update library. That didn't work.
So next I tried to clone the Kodi library and settings.
Can anyone tell me where the  three folders, addons, media and userdata are located in the new kodi 20.2? They used to be in MacOS: /Users/USERNAME/Library/Application Support/Kodi/  (replacing USERNAME with your actual username)
 Under MacOS this folder’s content is hidden by default. To display it, I opened a terminal and navigated to the above folder by typing the following command
cd /Users/USERNAME/Library/Application Support/Kodi/
Next, I entered the command to display all hidden files in the folder.
chflags nohidden ~/Library

There are lots of folders in Application Support but Kodi isn't there. I checked also on Application Support for the Mac hard disk (not users) and Kodi wasn't there.

Can anyone tell me where the  three folders, addons, media and userdata are located in the new kodi 20.2?
Kodi data is in that dir. But if you entered in Terminal just like you posted
(2023-08-08, 08:17)Shakewell Wrote: cd /Users/USERNAME/Library/Application Support/Kodi/

you should've seen an error because you have an unescaped space in the path. Correct way to open Kodi directory is:
Code:
open ~/Library/Application\ Support/Kodi

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Get Kodi running on Apple M1 Silicon with Windows for ARM0